The Legend of Zelda Prototype Cart Sells For $55,000

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

One third of the Triforce price

Earlier this week we told you about a The Legend of Zelda prototype cart for sale on eBay, with the seller establishing a target price of $150,000. A sale has now been made for a handsome sum, but it's ultimately just over a third of that target price.

According to examiner.com, $55,000 is a record total for a Nintendo Entertainment System game, and seller Tom Curtin stated that his choice of buyer wasn't simply down to money.

I care about the collecting community and giving it a good home was important. I feel as though that was accomplished. It was also important getting prototype video game collecting into the news.

...I am satisfied. Do I think it's worth more? Yes. There was no way I was taking less than the previous world record. The fact that it remained in tact over the last 25 years is amazing. The legacy of this cart and how it came into the hands of the previous owner is incredible.

...Amazing to play something that was in the hands of the Zelda dev team. I simply cannot describe it. I played this with my brother as a kid, for hours and ours as many of us did. To own the cart that brought this to America was a dream.

The name of the new owner will remain undisclosed due to a non-disclosure agreement, but that's a lot of money for the prototype cart; it'll be interesting to see whether that record will ever be beaten in the future.

[via examiner.com]

Nardar

Nardar said:

Unless he is a huge collector of games, it is absolutly rediculous.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

I hope the buyer has some reason to believe it's legit. I'm half tempted to put my own prototype cart together.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Well I'm hoping that the prototype ROM will be dumped and then examined, who knows what secrets will be unearthed!
Not distributed though, that would be illegal, but it's also somewhat likely.

Klinny

Klinny said:

Congrats to both the buyer and the seller, (assuming the prototype cart is actually legit). While I personally think that's an exorbitant amount of money to spend on a NES game, I can understand the importance to collectors.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Holy crap. That's more than buying both copies of Nintendo World Championships!

Neram

Neram said:

Ouch... I wonder what Unknown Name will do when he takes it to Nintendo and finds out it's fake.

helnov70

helnov70 said:

Believe it or not there are still some honest people in the world and it is legit!! Congrats to Tom for setting the record and for caring enough to make sure it got a great home at the same time. He is a true collector!!

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

Something tells me this guy will he disappointed. I think it's just a test game cart, I don't think it's legit.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

You could have waited a little longer! Mario was trying to place a bid of 1 million coins!

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

"It was also important getting prototype video game collecting into the news."

Oh yes, VERY important. It's like humanity just found a new heart piece!

eltomo

eltomo said:

Some people have more money than sense...

I would like the more money part.

H_Hunter

H_Hunter said:

This kind of money could put food on the table for 10 families for a whole year..