Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Six

Posted by Nintendo Life Staff

It's all golden

Despite initially calling this issue number five in this series, when it's clearly number six, we return with another update to share our weekend gaming plans with you. In the past we've quipped about topical sporting events, but there's nothing interesting enough this time around. That's just as well, as rather than sit in our favourite chair watching athletes represent the best of humankind, we're happier sitting and playing video games instead.

You may notice a trend with one particular game getting a lot of love this week, but that's hardly surprising, is it?

Anthony Dickens

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — Finally gotten around to giving this some time, and I'm obviously going to beat everyone else's coin totals in a matter of hours — looking forward to it.

Heavy Rain (Move Edition) — Bought this a few months ago and haven't had the time to play it, but the genre really interests me and I'm hoping for a good experience — anyone got any tips?

Tom Whitehead

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — After succumbing like a big wimp when looking for secrets in the two previous New Super Mario Bros. and looking at guides, I'm determined to figure it all out myself this time. I rattled through the main six worlds, but it's now the much slower task of tracking down secret exits and deviously hidden or awkward star coins. The thrill of discovery makes it worthwhile.

Super Mario Sunshine — This one has a big anniversary on Sunday (fear not, we have a feature planned), and having shamefully missed the GameCube generation I've acquired a copy of the game and a Wavebird controller to play catch up. It may not be loved quite as much as some others, but I'm still looking forward to playing it.

Mike Mason

I'm away this weekend so probably won't be playing much, but before I go I'll squeeze in...

Pokémon Conquest — I'm still taking over the world one kingdom at a time with my Eevee by my side.

Papo & Yo — I'll be doing my best to avoid poisonous frogs in this PlayStation Network adventure.

Jonathan Wahlgren

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — This weekend begins our cross-country road trip move and I won't have much time for gaming (I think), but I'm sure to sneak in some of this after a long day of driving through mountains or corn fields. I'm trying to take my time with it to make it last, and I have also vowed not to look up any FAQs to allow myself the full experience and challenge of discovery.

Nano Assault — Picked it up on the real cheap cheap and am having a blast so far. If I ain't stomping goombas then I'm ****ing things up with nano machines.

Corbie Dillard

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — Finally going to have a chance to sit down and put this one through its paces. I've been dying to play it some more since I took it for a spin last week. Even all these years later, I'm still a complete sucker for a Super Mario game.

Metal Slug X — I've long loved this Neo Geo run and gun and I can't wait to fire it up this weekend in preparation for my upcoming review. This one was the first game I ever bought for my Neo cabinet and it's still one of my favourites.

Desiree Turner

Count me in regarding the dogpile on New Super Mario Bros. 2. I've only been able to play bits and pieces of it here and there since I picked it up, but I daresay I'm finding it way more fun than New Super Mario Bros. Wii!

Philip J Reed

I've got a Wii U hands-on event to attend this weekend, so I'll be playing those games for sure! Unfortunately I don't know what they're showing off so I don't know what I'll be playing in advance, but I'm sure it'll be great and I'm hugely looking forward to it. Otherwise I picked up a copy of the Mega Man X collection so I'll be doing a Zero run of X4, and then hopefully moving on to X5. I'm also going to be doing a straight run of the original Castlevania, because I don't think I've ever actually made it through that game.

Oh, and NSMB2, I can't believe I almost forgot that...

Ron DelVillano

New Super Mario Bros. 2 — I'll be playing a bit more of this on my shiny new 3DS XL. It's pretty great so far, but I'm hoping to get a
lot more out of it this weekend.

Find Mii — Now that I have both the 3DS and the 3DS XL, I've been getting regular streetpasses from myself, so I've been crushing Find Mii on both handhelds. This is actually much more rewarding than it sounds.

Joe Walker

New Super Mario Bros 2 — I've been purposefully taking my time with this week to make the experience last, but I have a feeling this weekend that'll go out the window. It's basic Mario, but it's solid and I'm having a great time.

Super Mario Sunshine — With summer winding down I got a tad nostalgic for Mario's GameCube offering. I was very hard on it when it was released because it wasn't Super Mario 64 2, but it's a great game to go back to and enjoy properly.

Gaz Plant

Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call – I’m travelling a lot this weekend, so what better game to occupy my time than the most recent Layton adventure? Having recently completed Lost Future, I’m looking forward to experiencing yet more of the Layton story.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) – I bought this last week, played it once and haven’t been back since. That said, it’s not a bad game, it’s just that it feels identical to NSMBWii, and I’ve already played that. This weekend I’m going to give it another go and hope to discover some differences between the games.

Morgan Sleeper

I found a nice copy of Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube at my local retro store, so I'm hoping to spend some time ghost-busting with the greenest Mario Brother this weekend; should help ease the pain of Dark Moon getting pushed into 2013. That's assuming I can pull myself away from my Japanese copy of Pokémon: Typing Adventure however, which I've gotten completely addicted to. I love typing games, and playing this one with the Japanese Pokémon names adds a serious twist!

Jamie O'Neill

Super Mario Sunshine — I agree with Joe, Super Mario Sunshine is perfect for summertime, so I will also be FLUDDing it up this weekend. I imported my GameCube from America, so I will be celebrating the 10th Anniversary of its NA release this Sunday. It's a shame PAL gamers did not receive this sun soaked title until autumnal October, way back in 2002. I'm a fan of this Mario game, but when I completed it 10 years ago I only amassed 83 Shine Sprites, so I will take advantage of a spare save slot and aim to beat that amount by re-playing it from scratch.

So, there's a lot of Mario gaming going on, and a large focus on Nintendo systems as well. That's enough about us though, what games are you playing this weekend?

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

Gonna go pick up New Super Mario Bros. 2 today. Just got a red 3DS XL two days ago. Hopefully I'll be able to really dig in before school starts Wednesday...

SaSoBe

SaSoBe said:

I'm feeling a bit down, so I don't know if I'll be gaming much this weekend. Probably just a little New Super Mario Bros. 2. Already finished it, but I have a lot of coins to collect and secret exits to find.

BobBillyBoo

BobBillyBoo said:

Mainly just my favorite Wii Game. SSBB. Other than that? Maybe some AC. (Animal Crossing. Not Assassins Creed.)

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

ill probably be playing The Last Story, Skyrim, Xenoblade, and maybe some Pokemon Black or start a new file on LoZ Spirit Tracks

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Super Nintendo for me. I think I'm gonna go complete "Macross" and maybe keep on leveling in "Super Mario RPG".

Onett

Onett said:

A week of Garfield (NES). Sometimes a game is so bad that it is good, but in a bad way. We will also test our Hauppauge HD PVR on Kirby's Return to Dream Land in preparation for our 'Co-Op gaming reviews' series.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

NSMB2 all weekend. Gotta get me 1,000,000 coins! Maybe Ill even pick up a card for the eShop! Who knows?

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Resident Evil Revelations, Pokemon Black, SSBB & LoZ Wind Waker to make it worthwhile.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

maybe something on my 3ds while being on the toilett, but otherwise i dont have time or need to play right now

MattL

MattL said:

Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) and perhaps a little Excitebike64 (N64). May throw in a little Paradroid (C64) too :)

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

New Super Mario Bros 2, Theatrhythm and Dragon Quest IX will be getting played this weekend.
Mainly DQ IX though.

fredtoy

fredtoy said:

This weekend i'll be on the go. Maybe some Super Mario Land 2 and Etrian Odyssey II on 3DS.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Should easily be able to finish it off this weekend, then it's just a matter of deciding which game to start next! I'm thinking maybe Layton: Pandora's Box, but I'll decide for sure when I get to it.

For a long time I've spent more time reading about games than playing them, so it's nice to finally be working my way through some of them!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Hey Jonathan Wahlgren, if you are playing Nano Assualt, we should swap 3DS codes! I would love to have more people out of my friends that have actually posted some scores. The game is great!

Playing Nostalgia (DS), MK7, Kid Icarus Uprising, Batman: Arkham Asylum, going to start The Last STory as my main stuff.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Also just want to say thank you for finding a reason to use a picture from the Super Mario Bros. movie. Need to find that somewhere for like $5 just to say I own it.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

maybe some metroid or golden sun for the ds.. anyone got any suggestions for ds games that people may overlook that you think is worth trying. let me know..

robohobo93

robohobo93 said:

My friend gave me his copy of Spirit Camera (Brand new- the Club Nintendo code wasn't even used) and I'm very into it right now. Later on, I'll probably end up playing Marvel Pinball's Iron Man table and Wario Land (Still can't believe how long it took for that game to get here!)

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing CF and WW, and a little bit of NSMB2 where I can fit it.

KAHN

KAHN said:

a link to the past. i already beat the game, but i accidentally erased the datas by rapidly flipping the console on/off with the cart in. now i gotta soldier through the ice-temple -.-'' really friggen hate that temple... it's the worst.also, i'm going to fight through castlevania (and while i do, im playing toccata and fugue in D minor in the background) >: D

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Xbox 360: Persona 4 Arena, Jojos Bizarre Adventure, Virtua Fighter 5, and Street Fighter X Tekken.
Wii: I need to buy some Neo Geo games.
PS3: I need to get back into Yakuza 3, but I will probably not play it.
3DS: Nothing right now.

Oldest_Ancient

Oldest_Ancient said:

LoZ: Spirit Tracks and Sleeping Dogs. Very tempted to start Chrono Trigger as well but I doubt I'll get around to it.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Gonna be playing a ton of stuff this weekend, going to do a gaming marathon with some friends on Sunday and most of Monday.
Brawl, MK Wii, 007 Nightfire, Worms, and whatever else we decide on the day.

We're also going to have 3 TV's and are going to race to see who can finish all of the Mario All Stars games, Sonic MS and maybe Ape Escape if we have time. Gonna be a lot of fun!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

(really, would anybody cared what we played)
NSMB2-I need to finish getting 1 million coins.
(got no other games really that I want to play but can't wait for speedx 3d so probaubly will be playing that next week)

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Just Xenoblade Chronicles for me. I should probably focus a little more on the main story, but the compulsion to explore the Bionis keeps throwing a wrench in that.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Punch-Out!! Wii for me (hey, that rhymes!), and that's it for serious playing. I still need to clear the castle of Star World and beat Soda Popinski's challenge. Both should be challenging.

Phle

Phle said:

I'm going to be playing:
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (mostly alone, will ask my boyfriend to play with me, but he'll say "No" like always)
Maybe:
New Art Academy 3DS
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater
Heroes of Ruin
Kid Icarus: Uprising!

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

You all are making me want to pull out Super Mario Sunshine.
It's hard to play GC games right now though cause the batteries in my wavebird corroded.

younglink1990

younglink1990 said:

New Super Mario Bros. 2, Dragon Quest VI, Pokemon Heart Gold, and some Skyward Sword. I can't Stay away from my Red XL.

yobokkie

yobokkie said:

I never got why people hated Super mario sunshine so much? It is an awesome game and honestly I prefer it to Super Mario 64 just because of the colourful levels and cool water mechanics (and yoshi of course!). So the voice acting was a bit cheesy? Who cares, it's a blast to play, glad some of you are playing it this weekend, maybe I should join you.

TurboTEF

TurboTEF said:

Well, I already obliterated NSMB2 and unlocked everything. Not worried about the gold coin thing though. I'm halfway through Solatorobo (woo, picked up this gem along with my 3DSXL last sunday for $10 and it had the soundtrack still!) so I'll finish that off.

Lead my weekly World of Warcraft raid and blow though heroic DS to my last member their heroic Handmaiden mount.

Big game this weekend is Guild Wars 2 for the PC. Been waiting 5 years for this gem of an MMO and the beta weekends proved to me that this game will be something special.

cakeashi

cakeashi said:

a lil bit of nsmb2(star coin hunting on secret worlds) and a bit of mario galaxy 2 that i picked up again last weekend and the mighty xenoblade chronicles. awesome game and absolutely mind blowing they got it all into my little wii!!!
might pick up wario land 2 aswell if the misses will let me blow MORE cash on games! :)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Oh yeah! Now I remember, I never finished Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, but Im lost in what I was doing so Im gonna start it over and play non-stop til its over and done!

Dodger

Dodger said:

Super Mario 3D Land, just to be different. I got this a week ago. I made it to special world 8, figured out that I probably would need all the star coins to unlock all the levels so I started again and now I'm to special world 2 again in just a couple days. Rather short game. Good level design, but short. It doesn't stand up to the other 3D mario games but it is way better then the NSMB series in about every way.

Oh, and Minecraft.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Who doesn't like a good weekend of Metroid. I'm gonna play Metroid Prime 3 and Other M for the weekend. And maybe some Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations (Xbox 360). I'm running short on Wii games, so I don't have much to play.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Game #1: I will be busy with Infinite Space still... it has consumed my life and I just... can't... stop... playing it, whether bus, at home, at work. I must know the fate of Yuri, lol.

Game #2: This will be Sin & Punishment Star Successor. Even though I've run this by myself already, my gaming bud who stops by every weekend wants in and will get his shot at helping me beat that again, this time in in 2P mode.

Game #3: This will be the continued conquest (or is that Kongquest?) of Donkey Kong Country Returns with me and my friend. We're on World 6... almost there!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

NSMB2 to get more coins, VectorRacing to get myself on the leaderboard, and NES play action football after hearing a few impressions.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Sonic Generations for 3DS! Honestly, I don't understand all the hate for this one. I definitely think it's one of the better Sonic games.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

New Super Mario Bros. 2. Only need one more star coin. Then all I have to do is get 1,000,000 coins and 1,110 lives.

WolfZombie

WolfZombie said:

CS:GO on PS3.
Rhythm Heaven, Pokemon Conquest, Pokemon White, maybe some VC games or other 3DS games. Kind of want to get NSMB2, so we'll see about that.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

DQ IX, will do a few days of HM: AToTT, Planet Crashers (i know most of you hated it but i like it), and some Mario Galaxy on the Wii.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

I'll be finishing up Dead Space 2 and might even try a few multiplayer matches before putting it back on the shelf.

Tate24

Tate24 said:

Am playing final fantasy music game on 3DS which at moment cant get enough of. Also playing punch time explosion on 3DS as well =D

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Well I recently got a GameCube controller and memory card for my Wii so I'll probably be playing Paper Mario thousand year door, Zelda: Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine (all which I never played in the past).
Oh yeah, and I really should continue Twilight Princess...

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Legendary Starfy, Metroid II on 3DSXL... and Jet Force Gemini with my reclaimed N64!

Nintex

Nintex said:

NSMB2 for me! I've been playing it all week long. Such a fun game, still trying to collect all the star coins and reach the goal of 1million coins!

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I'll be at a wedding tomorrow,so hopefully it doesn't go pear shape (Touches Wood),I won't be playing games tomorrow,whoop!

Millenia

Millenia said:

I love reading what everyone is playing (: I will be hanging out with some friends and working, but I always make time for video games. I will be playing Final Fantasy XII <3 Have a good weekend everyone!

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

I'm on the last stage in Resident Evil: Revelations, Hell Mode :D I'll probably finish it today. School starts on Monday for me so i'll try to play as much games as possible XD :P

Elendil

Elendil said:

New Super Mario Bros 2, theathrythm final fantasy and Transformers Fall of Cybertron

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Also maybe some TF2, haven't played the Mann Vs. Machine update yet since my hard drive died. I lost all my Steam save data besides the games that saved to the cloud ( Portal 2 and TF2). I lost all my Super Meat Boy data.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I got around to getting Go Series: Undead Storm so I'll probably be playing that most of the weekend.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I'm going to finish getting all the star coins on New Super Mario Bros (DS), only a few left. During that time, I will be anticipating on playing New Super Mario Bros. 2 after.

BTW, Super Mario Sunshine was awesome and got way too much bad press. I personally think it deserved a sequel. I miss the FLUDD. I agree that it is a great summer time game...don't know why...it just is.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Just like everyone else I will be playing NSMB2. Along with that I will be playing some WoW (getting ready for the patch to hit Tuesday) and Secret of Mana with my son.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm going to play bits of the 8 3DS games I have on my 3DS XL: Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, Steel Diver, Crush 3D, Rayman 3D, Shinobi, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars & Rayman Origins. I'm really enjoying just playing each title for an hour & then moving on to another game.

& I agree with the great choice of playing through Super Mario Sunshine, its a truly brilliant Mario game with a crazy amount of its own unique style.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Well since acording to @Tasuki I'm a nobody, I guess that works well, since I'll be playing more Kingdom Hearts 3D. Also Dragon Warrior III. Maybe Pokemon Red.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Finishing off Resident Evil 5 (PS3), plain to play New Super Mario Bros (DS) and New Super Mario Bros Wii again since I can't afford the 2nd till next month, Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3) Conquest Mode with a friend, and Super Paper Mario (Wii) when gaming alone. Been playing alot of games lately :P

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I finally have some time on my hands, so I will be playing Super Metroid, Banjo Kazooie and Kid Icarus Uprising. If I get a chance I want to play a little Earthworm Jim 3.

Rekiotsu

Rekiotsu said:

Hmm... let's see. I am going to play kid icarus uprising, Half Life 2 and Final Fantasy XII and propably I am going to also play some Dead or Alive dimensions and Theatrythm Final Fantasy.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

Well, I am doing a little past and present gaming. With the talk of a Rocketeer reboot, I am playing The Rocketeer for the NES. It is a lot better version than the one on the SNES. On the Wii side, I'm playing The Other M. I have never finished that. For those who do not know, GameStop is thinning their pre owned Wii stock. Buy 2 get 1 Free on everything under $14.99. I picked up Kirby's Epic Yarn ans The Conduit. My need to play list just keeps growing and growing.

n2k

n2k said:

Sleeping Dogs on 360 and Final Fantasy VI on SNES. Both of these games are fantastic!

Yasume

Yasume said:

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) for sure and I might put some more time in Wario Land: The Shake Dimension as well.

RedDevilAde

RedDevilAde said:

Finished all 120 Stars on Mario 64 (Wii VC) for my son and now showing him Super Mario Sunshine

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

playing NSMB 2 and pokemon black. Might get into rhythm thief and Kingdom Hearts if i'm not too busy.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Four day weekend for me....I've been sick and playing Skyward Sword on my couch. Such a great Zelda game! (I finally beat Xenoblade last weekend, :sweat: )

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

All on my 3ds. The original zelda(I've been stuck on the second temple for three weeks now and I refuse to look up a walkthrough), Link's Awakening, and Kid Icarus:Uprising(my favorite game on 3ds. Meanwhile my wii is completely broken so I can't play any of those games. I was thinking about getting metroid prime trilogy before it broke. :'(

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Sounds like fun.
Sonic Generations
And I might go back to playing Metroid: Other M

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

@NintyFan It's Vodka Drunkenski!
As for me, NSMB 2. I recently noticed Nintendo sent out a spotpass saying we broke 50 billion. I am proud to say 100,000 of those coins are mine.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

just concentrating on last story for the moment.. maybe I'll get the free virtual game as well not sure at the moment though.. :)

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Already beat the main NSMB2 game, so it's between Coin Rush and Superstar Saga. Been replaying the Mario and Luigi series (in reverse).

DF2506

DF2506 said:

I'm playing this weekend:

Animal Crossing City Folk (Wii)
Heroes of Ruin (3DS)
Ratchet & Clank All4One (PS3)
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault beta (PS3)