Square Enix Teaser Looks Awfully Like The World Ends With You

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Don't forget to take a breath

Video games are a funny business, as some titles that don't necessarily achieve record-breaking sales or popular acclaim often become something else: critically-acclaimed titles with a legion of devoted, loving fans. These are often titles that won't necessarily grab the attention of the majority of gamers, but become a very big deal to those that do get drawn in. One game that does this, we reckon, is The World Ends With You, one of the gems of the DS library.

Well, as reported by Andriasang, a teaser website from Square Enix appears to be hinting at a sequel to the much loved DS title. The URL contains the "Subaseka", which may be an abbreviation of "Subarashiki Kono Sekai", the original's title in Japanese. There's also a timer that appears to be from the first game, and some terrific background music that resembles some of the original soundtrack.

Of course, Square Enix is legendary for its ability to tease, and the mystery website doesn't reveal any details about the title or its platforms. Still, there are apparently six days to wait, and we thought you'd want to check it out and enjoy the music,and fantasize about a potential 3DS or Wii U sequel.

[via square-enix.co.jp, andriasang.com]

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

w000t

hope its for 3ds though ds games are no buy for me anymore:p

and hope they use the models from kingdom hearts 3D

Late

Late said:

Wow! I love TWEWY and I've always hoped for sequel. The site reminds of original TWEWY so I can't think of anything else.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Well they just hinted that in Kingdom Hearts 3D, leaving an open plot to the ending of the game in Traverse Town.
I can't say more.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Would be kind of cool to see a TWEWY sequel for 3DS. I'd have nothing against Square using the Kingdom Hearts: 3D engine either, that looks great.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

YES! I love TWEWY, its the best game on the DS! I hope they do make a new one for 3DS. I'll be on holiday when the reveal comes though. :( I hope we have internet connection at the hotel I'm staying at.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@Geonjaha YOU HOLD YOUR FOUL TONGUE SIR

But seriously, I love TWEWY so much. It's the most solid and original game Square Enix has put out in YEARS and it never got the recognition it deserved. I was hoping that the inclusion of the characters in Kingdom Hearts 3D would lead to a new game announcement and it looks like my wish has been granted!

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

The site is definitly teasing something for TWEWY, and plus with the remixes of calling on the website I'm hoping it will be on Wii U or 3DS instead of another platform.

Late

Late said:

I forgot to add that this game will definitely be in my possession on launch day!

BenAV

BenAV said:

Assuming it's on the 3DS or Wii U, I will pre-order and pay in full the day it's announced to be released in Australia.

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

I never played the first one, but I found the characters to be completely unimaginative when I saw them in Kingdom Hearts 3D. That's put me off a little, but I'm prepared to give the games a chance if I can play a demo or something beforehand.

Late

Late said:

@McHaggis: They may seem like it in KH but that's because KH is the main part and TWEWY characters were just sitting on the backseat. I personally really like Neku and Joshua.

LadyStarstorm

LadyStarstorm said:

Oh my GOD I CAN'T WAIT.

And yeah, there's no doubt it's TWEWY, to the author - The BGM is an instrument-reduced version of "Calling", the background image is a silhouette of the big building from the game, and SubaSeka IS the abbreviation for the game in Japan. :3 Whether it'll be a sequel or an HD remake / 3DS remake though is anyone's guess.

This wait is going to feel

/wait for it/........

So zetta slow!!
(sorry I had to)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

If there's still a shred of doubt within anyone, it says at the bottom: "CHARACTER DESIGN:TETSUYA NOMURA & GEN KOBAYASHI" who both worked on TWEWY.

So cannot wait!!! Recently got a load of badges from Comic Con as well =D

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Well, how about that. I just finally picked this one up to try it out, and now a sequel of sorts is on the way. Talk about irony. Haven't finished it yet, but it's shaping up quite nicely, though the touch screen is getting more worn now...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I never really did get into TWEWY, I guess the controls / style flew over my head :P I didn't give it that much of a chance though so maybe I'll try it again soon, seeing as the sequel is seemingly coming.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@LadyStarstorm Thanks for that. I actually listened to a load of TWEWY tracks on YouTube and noticed that similarity. I didn't have the courage of my convictions to write that in though, because I wasn't sure from direct experience.

I keep hearing from fellow NL peeps that this game is a must own, but it's on my list of excellent titles to pick up :)

Punny

Punny said:

Cool! The site looks like it could be a TWEWY announcement, down to the background and fonts. SInceTWEWY was my favorite DS game, I am hyped as heck for this announcement!

And Geonjaha, YOU LIE!!!

Emaan

Emaan said:

I still need the DS game, but I hope a 3DS sequel happens. The original game looks pretty rad. :p

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@ThomasBW84 It's absolutely a must-own! Incredible story, incredible visual style, PHENOMENAL soundtrack and fast-paced RPG mechanics. There are no words. Buy it as soon as you get the chance.

GameCube

GameCube said:

TWEWY is definitely the most innovative RPG of the last 5 years (followed by Xenoblade), so a sequel would be very welcome! Especially on the 3DS, which has a real dearth of RPGs so far.

Phle

Phle said:

Wow :O I love The World Ends With You!!! Genius game, I hope there will be a sequel for 3DS. I'll buy it day one! I always ate noodles at the noodles place and every time I had the characters eat noodles I had to eat noodles myself too!

Marks

Marks said:

I wonder if it'll be a direct sequel or a sort-of spinoff thing, or if it'll use the same characters.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

YEEEEEESSSS!!!! I love TWEWY! It was such an original game and was really one of the highlights of the seventh generation of video games as a whole. The game was so good. It even got into Nintendo Power's top ten games of the decade list. I don't know about top ten but the game is easily in a top 5 or 3 of best DS games. Really hope this is a sequel.

Onett

Onett said:

@SpaceKappa Agreed. @ThomasBW84 TWEWY is without a doubt a must have for your DS collection. Just when I was about to lose hope this shows up. Prepare to get swept up in hype over the next six days.

LadyStarstorm

LadyStarstorm said:

@ThomasBW84 Yes! No problemo. If you can find a copy, it's an absolute must. Just... use an older model DS that you aren't as concerned about the bottom screen on. It WILL get scratched up playing this. :P

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

I will hold my immense excitement until it is confirmed for a Nintendo console.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

I would get it if it comes to 3ds since if gotten more attached to the characters in traverse town.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

DO WANT

i hope it comes for the 3DS, naturally, but even if it hits for another console, this is a system-seller for me. :O :O :O

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

TWEWY was so perfectly original that there is no way to bring it about again without it just being copy. And there is also way to bring the characters back to the UG, what, would they all get amnesia? The only way I can see a sequel happening is if something happened to the boundary between the UG and RG and noise started terrorizing the people (or something like this. There has to be a catastrophic error within the game) and all of the previous winners have to unite to save the world. And although it would be fun, it wouldn't be as exciting as the first. If this happens, it just might be as exciting as the first, but that is a long shot.

"won't necessarily grab the attention of the majority of gamers" it's almost ironic that it was the top seller within its first week :|.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I have also heard wonders about this one but I haven't picked it up. I heard the same about Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents, and those did not disappoint. So I guess I will wait those 6 days, to see if it is worth getting the original or waiting for this one.

@A Hungry Banker

If DS titles are really region free, you may want to buy a North American copy of TWEWY, as it is only $19.99 new on Amazon.

Tatsufox

Tatsufox said:

@Geonjaha a lump of coal? are you saying twewy was a bad game? cause no way in heck was it a bad game, it had a great plot, original yet challenging combat and a refreshing take on jrpg's or are you not much of a jrpg person?

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@kkslider5552000 #44
Oh, I know that. But to create a sequel TWEWY that isn't a copy or that doesn't stray to far is actually quite difficult because of the story line. You can't just kill them all again...actually, you could. They all die again, but something has gone horrible wrong (or just changed, but something definitely has to go wrong with the UG) with the UG and the Characters have to fix it.
Personally I like the idea that the UG breaks out into the RG and all of the previous, present, and even later winners would have to team together (though this is just because I think it's an easy way to introduce new characters without much hassle).

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@grimbldoo I honestly think the best idea would be for it to start out as focusing on new characters, but still have characters from the first game. How iI'm interested in the human characters being in the story depends on if they can write a compelling reason for these characters to be back. If they're gonna have characters come back as major characters and not do anything interesting with them beyond fanservice, they shouldn't bother using the old characters. Especially IIRC it's canon that apparently every city has a Reaper's game, so you can avoid Shibuya stuff pretty easily. That being said, I think they could do something interesting with the characters, even for a sequel to such a long game with legit character development. Not to mention all the stuff they can add using all the story you get post-game. Honestly, outside of games that are very blatantly trying to continue the story in future installments like Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect, TWEWY is one of the games they could get the most out of in a sequel. This is especially helped with how different the gameplay is, which they could tweak just slightly and still keep it amazingly fresh.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@kkslider5552000 #49
Stop being my foil! XD
It would be very cool if they focused on a different city. But I kinda want something terrible to happen to the UG and the characters have to team up with previous winners. You could play as other characters too and maybe they would be in other cities at the same time. Well, it's kinda out there, but something along those lines would be cool.

Samholy

Samholy said:

oh my
thats some serious news here. my most beloved DS title...having a sequel ?
%?%$#$@ yeah !!!!!!!
4 days to wait now...

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

@Geonjaha Ever heard of graphene? Look it up: one of the most common building blocks of life on Earth (carbon) is also one of the most valuable, in more ways than one.