Shin Megami Tensei 4 On 3DS Is Looking Mighty Fine

Posted by Damien McFerran

Sneaky peek at the 3DS role-player

A trailer for Atlus' forthcoming 3DS RPG Shin Megami Tensei 4 has broken cover online.

The footage comes bundled with Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, which is due for launch in Japan on the 30th August.

The video is mainly animation, but there's a short section at the end (around the 1:30 mark) which appears to show the game engine - and it looks pretty damn special, from what we can gather.

The game is set for release in 2013.

[via youtube.com, vg247.com, gematsu.com]

Phle

Phle said:

Aw, I really hope it get's released in EU. I'm still waiting for Ghostlight to release Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overcolcked and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

Squashie

Squashie said:

Surprisingly, I have never heard of this series before! I can't wait to try it though...

Expa0

Expa0 said:

The chances of this ever coming to EU are so laughably abysmal it's not even funny. I would like to say "Ghostlight's going to bring it here" but they're already taking their sweet arse time with DS:Overclocked I find it much likely they're not done with that before long after usa release of SMT4 by which time no one even remembers the game anymore. Also, Soul Hackers - that has even smaller chance, and I'm kind of doubtful of that even getting a usa release.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

"the video is mainly animation"

I would hope the game would be animated... unless it's a digital novel or something. Which it's not.

nerdydan

nerdydan said:

@squashiejoshie, shin megami tensei isn't very well known here in comparison to the like of final fantasy and other jrpgs. It is targeted towards a very limited audience, but has always been amazing with each installment ( in both the main series and side franchises). These games have extremely dark story lines that generally tackle some pretty mature themes.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Can't wait?! Oh wait yes I can because it takes forever to translate these games for the DS or 3ds. I still want Etrain Odyssey 4 first and that's been in Japan for over 6 months now. The likelihood of NA seeing this game before say around July of next year is very small. I'm guessing Christmas next year before we see it released outside of Japan. I pray I'm wrong!

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

@moomoo Nice pun!

Btw that engine-footage looks really good. The 3DS is powerful enough for great games as we already know. :)

Nintendawg

Nintendawg said:

I strongly recommend Devil Survivor: Overclocked. It improves SO much on the original, gameplay wise (not to mention that it features some brilliant voice-acting). The addition of the Demon Compendium enables you to register powerful versions of the demons you create, like keeping them "in store" for future use! You can re-summon your powerful demons (at an, admittedly, hefty cost) even after you've fused them, which really makes the game even more addicting, plus it saves a lot of time grinding-wise. From what I've seen so far, this new installment seems even better. DeSu cartridges should be surgically grafted onto every 3DS.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

My 3DS is hungry for JRPGs. Been snacking on the old DS DQ series lately, now I want something new and with some meat to it.

Royspaceghost

Royspaceghost said:

Im creaming all over my pants over this, I've always prefered the atlus RPG's, over the Square-Enix ones, or the ones by Namco, because they are kind more indie, and have that obscure and mature vibe, I'm really hoping for this one to come out here in the west.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

These are the games that publishers need to bring to the west as full game eshop digital titles. I would gladly pay full retail price for premium games like this on the eshop as opposed to trying to hunt down a limited run retail copy.