Rookie Developer Shepherding Mass Effect 3 Onto Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Read it and reap

Mass Effect 3 is possibly one of Wii U's biggest launch window titles, or alternatively the port falls way down the pecking order; it's all down to personal perspective. In any case, and much like Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition, the Wii U release won't be put together by the original team but handled by an external development studio.

It's been confirmed, via Twitter, that Australian developer Straight Right will have the task of bringing Mass Effect's concluding part to Nintendo's new system. The developer has just one previous title under its belt, the well regarded Shift 2 Unleashed on iOS devices, so this seems to represent quite a step up in scale and challenge. While tweeting the news, Straight Right also confirmed what we already knew, that this will be a launch title.

Happy to confirm that we're developing Mass Effect 3 for Wii U with our friends at BioWare...

Mass Effect 3 confirmed as a Wii U launch title.

Despite having just one game in its portfolio, Straight Right can at least point to the fact that it's a good one. So, is Mass Effect 3 on your list for the launch of Wii U?

[via twitter.com, kotaku.com.au]

luminalace

luminalace said:

A port isn't nearly as hard to make as an original game so I would expect the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 to be more than competent!

Besides, it's an Aussie developer...you can't go wrong!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Grezzo only had one game released when they made 3D Classics: Ocarina of Time, I'm sure this will be fine!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I was certain there was another studio that was doing this, reported about 2 months ago? Perhaps I'm thinking of a different game...

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

@Vonseux I hate to say it, but that's my thought exactly. It's a worrying situation when arguably one of the biggest games is a game that has already been out a year and it's a game that alienated fans of the franchise. Hopefully releases pick up post launch, got to remain optimistic :)

Willerz

Willerz said:

@C-Olimar Just because Grezzo did a good job doesn't mean this studio will. Hijinx Studios who had similar experience as this Straight Right company absolutely butchered Silent Hill 2 & 3 when porting them, so I'm sceptical. Hopefully they'll get it right, but the little faith I had in EA is reduced even more when they're willing to give one of their best IPs to a studio which simply doesn't sound prepared for such a big undertaking.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

AAAAUUUSSSTTRRRAALLLIIIAAAA!!!!!!

Ahem. This game looks alright, I suppose. I'm not that 'into' Mass Effect, despite clocking the first one.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@vonseux #7 and @GazPlant #8
"or alternatively the port falls way down the pecking order; it's all down to personal perspective." It might have been a good idea to read the whole article before posting.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Meh, this is low on my list of Wii U titles I might possibly purchase anyway.

MariosLoveChild

MariosLoveChild said:

@vonseux and @gazplant
Don't want to be picky but how ave you worked out ME3 is a year old game? It came out in march was just under 6 months ago. I get your point though, I do hope Nintendo don't try and use ME3 as a big selling point. As good as it is, it's not going to convert the non believers.

KrazyBean

KrazyBean said:

They should've made a Mass Effect Collection for the Wii U, including Mass Effect 2 and 3 (Mass Effect 1 is partially owned by Microsoft, so it's an Xbox 360 and PC exclusive).

If you really want to get involved in this franchise, then do yourself a favor and play the trilogy on the 360 or PC...Mass Effect 3 will not feel complete without transferring your Shepard from the previous games (seriously, I'm not kidding).

But hey, that's my two pennies...it's your valuable paper.

hydeks

hydeks said:

It's hard to wanna play the 3rd, and last, game in a series without ever getting the first two :P I agree with @KrazyBean because they should have made a Mass Effect Collection with 2 and 3 in it (and yea, Microsoft owns the rights to the first cause they published it instead of EA....booo)

As for picking games up at launch, Batman is definitely my top choice for a third party launch game, as well for Darksiders 2. First party is definitely Mario :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

So, basically, we are looking at a port of a year old AAA game that the same AAA team couldn't bother helping with because it's for a Nintendo system? Sounds about par the course for third party support on a Nintendo console. After enduring three generations of excuses, lazy efforts, and streight up snubbing from third parties, I've found it's best to just count them out of the equasion entirely. It never bothered me with Wii because, quite frankly, Nintendo software covers the gamut of most genres and they release these games in a timely enough fashion to coincide with the amount of free time I have to play games. They want to turn thier nose up at Nintendo, then I say we all just turn our nose up at them. Nintendo games have always been the best out there anyhow.

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

@C-Olimar when I read that, an ad for loz:oot 3d was there, what a coincidence!

I would like to see this game turn out well as a port

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

I'll be passing on this one. I haven't even bought 2 & 3 for PS3 because I want the full experience. I'm holding off on Mass Effect until I finally get a 360.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hopefully they won't mess up!

By the way: Darksiders 2 IS handled by the original development team, right, RIGHT?!

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Uh-oh. Can't say handing the port off to an unknown is the best idea. Hopefully my concerns will be completely unfounded.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I wasnt going to get this but I might now just to support some fellow Aussies.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Aside from Smash Bros, I still don't have a good reason to care about the Wii U. Especially when 2 of the biggest releases for the console are games I already have.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980 said:

@Chris720 They'll probably (at least hopefully) include the interactive comic "Genesis" from ME2 to import ME1 and something similar for ME3 from ME2.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

I already have the PC version, so I don't care about this, specially since this is the game that made me not want to purchase any more Bioware games. But seriously, this situation has always puzzled me: why the heck are they bringing only the last game of a story-heavy trilogy to a console that won't have access to the first two?

I can understand it with games like Final Fantasy or Castlevania, for which the sequels follow a similar storyline but with different characters and in different locations but don't really continue the story of the previous games. This is like releasing Back to the Future 3 in cinemas without having released the first two.

Besides, seeing how this game is the low point of the trilogy story-wise, it won't do much of an effort in making people want to play the previous ones, and even those few who do find themselves curious will be hunting for different consoles or a PC in order to play them. Why the heck did Nintendo think this would be a good idea?