Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney is "Progressing Well"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We won't object

Remember Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, or perhaps you know it as Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney? It was announced way back in October 2010, and brought fans of both series to a state of giddiness with the very thought of the rookie lawyer and top-hat wearing puzzle master combining forces. Confirmed for Japan, Capcom and Level 5 also suggested that, with enough interest, this cross-over could very well be localised elsewhere, too.

Since then it's all gone a bit quiet. A rather fun looking trailer was released in September 2011, but updates have been remarkably thin on the ground, potentially making the game slip off many people's radars. There's now been a crumb of an update courtesy of a conversation in Famitsu about the Ace Attorney movie (and reported by Andriasang), where series creator Shuu Takumi said the following.

Production on Layton vs Ace Attorney is at its climax. It's like my entire life is focused on it. While I still can't say much, it's progressing well, so please wait a bit more.

Not exactly definitive evidence to make Phoenix happy, but at least it sounds as if the title is nearing the end of development. As for a release date or the prospect of localisation outside of Japan, we'll have to do as Takumi-san asks and be patient.

[via andriasang.com]

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

He knows why he said Layton vs Ace Attorney. No problems with writing Phoenix there. :PAnyway, this is a week one buy should it come to Europe. Would be very surprised hearing it didn't end up awesome.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

This sounds like the worst crossover ever.

Although I may be biased because I don't like either series. :P

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Great to hear, I have no doubt this game will turn out amazing. I'm picking it up day one if it ever releases in EU. Can't wait to play this.

pkee

pkee said:

Good to hear it's going well, thought I might point out that it's spelt Phoenix* Wright.

@Flowerlark I am sorry, but you are wrong.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Take that! As a fan of both series I am really looking forward to seeing these 2 clash heads with each other for a little while. And glad to hear something about it after all this time has passed. Though they should know better, It's not very gentlemen like to keep one waiting in suspense for that long. :P

Terave

Terave said:

Really looking forward to this title, hope it will be at least announced for the west next year.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I didn't say that they themselves are bad, just that I don't like them. But the crossover does sounds very bad. That's my opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm actually looking forward to this one, and just bought the first games in each series to prepare for it. It'll be a while before I finish those, though, so it can take its time.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

If it comes over, I'm all over it. It will be the first time I cross into the Layton universe, and the first time in a long time I'm "allowed" in the west to play any semblance of the Ace Attorney series. I'll take what I can get.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I've played the first 3 Layton games and the first Ace attorney game and loved them all, so I look forward to the western release of this, if there is one but I should probably play more of the Ace attorney series first.
@MeloMan Why aren't you allowed to play the Ace attorney series/

Chuie

Chuie said:

ace attorney :D is better but prof layton is awsome too amazing crossover

KAHN

KAHN said:

i've never been able to get into either of the series, so hopefully this will change that :D

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

What I've heard about this game so far, is that the release date will be announced during the TGS (Tokyo Game Show). We'll probably get a NA and Europe release month too. I'd say November in Japan, and maybe March/April in NA/Europe. I'd say localization extremely probable. Two of the best DS series combined for a 3DS game? How could this not be localized?

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I never played any of the games on both series, but I know what they are about. Sounds like an interesting crossover.

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

@Mickeymac
Why not? Maybe the numbers can speak for themselves.
Ace Attorney: 4.2 Millions units sold
Professor Layton: 14 Millions units sold
Capcom and Level 5 can't ignore these two cash cow DS series crossover. There is so much money to be made, there's no reason not to.