Out Now: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Hops Into Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Only two more days for you, North America

If you've been living in a cave and cut off from the outside world in recent weeks, then this may be news to you: New Super Mario Bros. 2 is now available in Europe, and graces North American stores in just two days, on 19th August.

You all knew that, we hope, but if you didn't then we'd expect you to already be looking for some loose change, checking credit card limits and getting yourself onto the nearest online retailer: unless you're a traditionalist, in which case get yourself to the shops. Of course, if you're feeling particularly lazy or want to show how trendy and with the times you are, then you can purchase directly from the eShop, albeit at the full retail price.

Why should you buy New Super Mario Bros. 2? Well, it's Mario, but it's well refined and classic platforming action. If you're looking for innovation and boundless creativity, this game may not push your buttons, but plenty of franchises are picked up on a yearly basis with barely any changes or signs of progression. Critical reception may have been mixed, but a masterpiece is a masterpiece, as we say in our New Super Mario Bros. 2 review.

So, are you planning to get your Mario game on this weekend?

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

Not going to buy this...

only going to get super mario wii u to play with friends the new super mario bros imo is like call of duty now....rehashing....

but ohwell great for the casuals and ppl who love mario

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I got my copy a day early. I'm at W3 right now with all Star Coins collected in W1 & W2. I'm really enjoying it - love Mario platformers.

I have to admit I was worried I'd dislike it because of repetition (since I've played both NSMB and NSMB.Wii) but that's not the case.. yet.

They could have polished the visuals up a bit though, it looks a bit rough for being a 2D title. Also, the 3D effect is really worthless - blurring all the beautiful background scenery. It's very weird.

Looking forward to New Super Mario Bros. U now. While NSMB2 is very enjoyable, that game looks better in almost every way to me.

ZueriHB

ZueriHB said:

Already unlocked SECRET World, by going trough SECRET and SECRET World. Now at regular play trough to access all Levels in SECRET World.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Got it 2 days early, and I already cleared everything! ..well except for the million coin goal.

Le_Gazman

Le_Gazman said:

Does the ridiculously priced download version even come with club Nintendo points like the cheaper retail version?

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

@Joshers744 I know. :P. Who releases a game on Sunday? My local Gamestop doesnt open until 12:30 on Sunday. And I'm an earlybird! AGGGGGGH!

bahooney

bahooney said:

I think it's dumb that Nintendo's all, "Y'know? Our consumers definitely don't need the weekend to play a new game. Heck, most of them have the weekends off from school and work, buuuuut... fudge it!"

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Just checked over here on the US sites personally there not giving us a real incentive to buy the cartridge 3ds games the cartridges are the same as the downloadable game for new super mario bros 2 just gonna download it tomorrow night at 12 midnight if I can stay up that late with out falling a sleep. looking forward to playing it. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Woot! i managed to snatch up three (!) of those "golden" pre-order bonus coins. LIfe's too good

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@Happy_Mask they always release games on Sunday or Tuesday
even if the release date for a game is Monday, it doesn't show up in Gamestop until Tuesday, trust me on this, it's happened to me MULTIPLE times

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

@Happy_Mask Some GameStop stores are opening a bit early at 10:00 or 11:00 for the 3DS XL launch, but it's by a store-to-store basis, so you might as well give them a call and find out.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I don't mind. I just got New Super Mario Bros. (DS) yesterday so I want to work on beating that before getting 2.

Cesco

Cesco said:

Well, I guess that actually is not really available everywhere in Europe... both a retail store and amazon.it told me that the game will be available starting August 24th, I guess that this is happening because here in Italy almost all the shops and express couriers are closed for holidays during this week. And yes, it will be still cheaper to buy it in a retail store rather than on the Nintendo eShop here too :-)

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

For me, it will be actually cheaper to buy it digital. 40 USD ~= 528 MXN. At retail it's at somewhere between 750 and 800 MXN.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm relatively sure I'm gonna get NSMB2 sometime down the track after the release of the 3DS XL, possibly when it comes on sale, gotta play SM3DL 1st.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

If they really wanted to push the downloadable version in North America, they should have released it yesterday on the eShop with the regular update. Mario fanatics wouldn't have been able to wait with the temptation being there of getting the game three days early!

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Getting it on Sunday, why cant it come out today in NA? Kid Icarus came out on a Friday, so did Star Fox 3D.

MAB

MAB said:

It is up for download on the Australian eShop for a hefty sum of AU$69.95 :( I think I'm gonna get it at retail sometime down the track and shop around for the best price ;)

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

@DeMoN-13ruce I agree that the mario series is becoming more and more repetitive and too much of a money grab. At least they're not releasing their console games annualy though. Then i would really start getting sick of these games. I'll only be buying new mario bros. u and probably paper mario or luigi's mansion.

kuroneko

kuroneko said:

I would be downloading this but £40 is far too much, even a lot of stores are selling it cheaper than that at £35 never mind buying online off Amazon etc.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I'm getting it on 20th or 21st via online preorder, along with a Gold Mario Pin, both from Gamestop! :)

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Firejonie That was because of stupid accusations that Nintendo wanted to hate 9/11 because of Starfox. so they moved it back earlier to prevent issues. Don't get why that was a bad date if it happened 11 years ago, though.

I would think it would do better if they gave people who could download it the option 3 days earlier, compared to buying it in store on the same day.

And Kid Icarus was on a friday because... Well, I don't know, but it should happen again.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I just woke up - 8.43am on a Saturday...leaving to get NSMB2 now because shops open at 9! Btw, I am in Australia where Nintendo decided to release the game on a weekend.

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

Is it just me or is anyone else kinda sick of seeing this game EVERYWHERE. I get it that it's a Mario game and it's the 1st retail game available for download but come on! I really don't mean to sound rude but they really are exaggerating a lot. Because of that , i am not getting this game >.< The bro needs some love! :P

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@Janett The excessive advertising alone is what's stopping you from buying the game? You do know that Nintendo does this with every new Mario game, right?

Guess you'll never buy another Mario game ever again, huh.