Original Freakyforms to be Removed From European eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Oh dear

Earlier today we shared the news that New Art Academy and Freakyforms Deluxe will be retail downloads in Europe, arriving on 17th August alongside New Super Mario Bros. 2. Of course, that meant that there could potentially be two Freakyforms titles in the eShop, with the original download version including less content but coming in at a significantly lower price.

It seems that Nintendo of Europe has decided that this isn't a good idea, and has posted an update under 'News' in the eShop to advise that Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!, will no longer be available for download in Europe after 16th August, leaving the retail version as the only option. Anyone who purchases the original before that date, or already has, will be able to re-download the title in the future without any problems.

In our Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive! review, we said the following about choosing between the two versions.

Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive! adds subtle improvements to the original download’s content. The dungeons and special action collectables add much needed variety to exploration, while the basic multiplayer is, like the title as a whole, irresistibly charming... Whether the extra modes justify a retail investment – albeit at a budget price-point with many retailers – is a matter for personal taste.

Unless you move before 16th August it'll no longer be down to personal taste which version you own, so anyone on the fence in Europe should probably make a decision now.

Related Games

Hokori

Hokori said:

They should've still updated it to the DX form for $10 or something

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Marow Some are saying £19.99, though I've seen it in a shop for £24.99, so there's quite a price difference.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

New Art Academy then this being digital, I am going to run out of cash...

Ben__Harlan

Ben__Harlan said:

Nintendo thinks there is a problem to make people choose which version of their games buy digitally... That's no good D:

SilverLightning

SilverLightning said:

to be honest freaky forms delux is not worth £20, from what ive seen it doesnt have any new areas most of the options/extras are the same all it adds are more body parts and an rpg mode? correct me if im wrong but it seems thats all thats different between the two games

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well I suppose this was an obvious move. The Deluxe edition just doesnt add enough extra for the price in my opinion. They should have just pulled a Wayforward and done like Mighty Switch Force - free updates.

Martyn

Martyn said:

They should've had an upgrade option for the deluxe content as DLC, or to get the full retail download version for a major discount if you already purchased the original title.

This is just crap.

Fabian

Fabian said:

Thats the negative side of online shops.If you have a Snes you can play all the games originally relased on it today. But if you have a Online Shop it can allways happen that games are no longer available on from one day to another.Nintendo this was a verry bad move the eshop gets worse and worse.

Game0ver_Gavin

Game0ver_Gavin said:

Why pay 7 or 8 bucks for a game with less content when you can get a 40 dollar version with a tiny bit more replay value! Hmmm... Let me think...

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Deluxe will cos 5X as much on the eShop, so the original would be sooo much better value.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

It's an awkward move, but I don't think it's stupid. Obviously Nintendo wouldn't want two versions of Freakyforms available next to each other with one costing 3x more than the other. The more expensive version would be undercut by the cheaper version. I do think they should put out a demo though, as the retail game is a lot more investment for a bizarre game (people would be more hesitant to try a crazy new game for 20-25 than for 7).

SBOY

SBOY said:

At 7$ i didn't want to pay it without trying it... So there's no way I'll buy it for 20~25$

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Nintendo, for the owners of the original version. Please make this available as paid DLC ( a few bucks at most) or a free update. Because I'm not paying $20 for a game I already own with little upgrades. I'd pay $5 for this as DLC.

geekypckid

geekypckid said:

I wasn't really interested in the initial title, but I might pick up the deluxe version if it's not that expensive.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

before I purchased this game it should have said "DONT GET IT! THERE WILL BE A SUPER DELUXE EDITION"

Monsti

Monsti said:

What a nice way to support the people who supported the game. I'd be ok to update my old version for an extra 5 bucks or something to the deluxe but this is really stupid.

Henmii

Henmii said:

This doesn't surprise me much! At least you can still get the fuller version at retail.

Sgt_Ludby

Sgt_Ludby said:

I doubt there will be an Upgrade option for those who already downloaded the original and want the Deluxe version. What a shame!