Nintendo Power Magazine Looks Set to Shut Down

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Could be the end of an era

Update: The tweet quoted below, from Nintendo Power senior editor Chris Hoffman, has since been deleted, as have a number of others sharing a similar message. As always and as promised in the original article below, we will report any official updates from Nintendo and Future Publishing.

Original Article

In a surprising development, it's being reported by respected website arstechnica.com that Nintendo Power may be ceasing publication. A source has stated that Nintendo is currently uninterested in renewing its contract with publisher Future, and has given no indications that it will take over responsibility for the magazine itself, as it did until Future was contracted in 2007. It's reported that Nintendo Power staff were advised of the development last week and are being gradually moved into other Future publications.

It's currently unclear how many issues of the magazine are remaining, and we should stress that the decision hasn't been formally confirmed by either Nintendo or Future Publishing. That said, Nintendo Power senior editor Chris Hoffman posted the following tweet, and more in a similar vein, in a response to a reader saying the team had done a great job.

Thanks. We'll try to make the last issues memorable.

Should Nintendo Power cease publication, it'll be an iconic loss as a gaming magazine and also as a major part of Nintendo pop-culture. It's been in existence since the summer of 1988 and was a go-to source of Nintendo information for a generation of gamers, particularly in the pre-internet age.

Once Nintendo or Future clarifies or confirms this story we'll post an update.

[via arstechnica.com]

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

im gonna miss it, ill never forget "Don't Hassle the Hoff", with all the crazy stuff he said, this column will surely be missed with all of the other articles/reviews that the nintendo power staff has given us over the many years its been published........

At least we have Nintendolife :)

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Wow....my dad got this starting in 1988, I was born in 1989, got this magizine for years, and still even check on it at news stands from time to time (even if it's not quite as good as it was in the 90's). I do miss the catalog with the cool Nintendo merch in it that used to show up in some old issues.
It's a bit sad for me to see Nintendo Power go...as cool as technology can be, I hate to see it kill off these old magizines.

Hybrid17

Hybrid17 said:

I just got the last issue in my subscription. I guess I will not renew. No wonder I did not get 1,500 cards reminding me that my subscription was about to expire.

MattyJ2009

MattyJ2009 said:

That's crap I just subscribed to Nintendo Power last week!! I hope I get a refund then!

photofool83

photofool83 said:

This is horrible news! I've been a subscriber the majority of my life and still a subscriber today. I love Nintendo Power! I like the physical magazine being sent to my home, and racing through it to briefly scan all of the goodies inside, and then taking my time over the month to really devour all of the articles. You will be greatly missed.

player310

player310 said:

I was on it since day one... Just recently re-subscribed... I hope they can work something out...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I remember that magazine cover... little did I know until years later that that was the very first one. I remember thinking to myself, "Mario never wore a blue cap before except on a Mario Bros. cabinet...". The other funny part is, Mario finally wore a blue cap in a game thanks to SSB :P

As for NP, eh... I gave up on them way back when the "Now you're playing with power!" age wound down and I started looking at multi-console magazines (we're talking YEARS ago here, people). In fact, I gave up on all biased magazines at that point.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Ow. My chest hurt when I read that. Why are they doing this?! Ive been collecting them for years!! And I still am!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, that's very disappointing. I've gotten Nintendo Power since the early 2000's and I've always looked forward to the next issue. Looks like I'll be hanging tightly to my collected magazines and the final issue now. This would be even tougher for someone who has been a fan since the beginning.

I will say that it was probably going to be this way eventually. It's not like the old days when the internet wasn't so big and you had to rely on a monthly game magazine to get up-to-date on the latest gaming news. I've felt that since I frequented gaming sites and forums and especially when I joined NL that I got less and less attached to gaming magazines. I still liked reading Nintendo Power, but I already knew what games were coming out and what the latest information was on them, so I read their issues mostly out of entertainment. The internet with its video game websites and Youtube is a double-edged sword, it can give you news faster than ever before but cost you the fun anticipation of game magazines as well.

DStanton

DStanton said:

Nintendo Of America Better reconsider their choice... I have been subscribed since 2004. My Favorite Magazine. If they stop making issues... i will lose some respect for Nintendo as a company

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Get yourself the power. Nintendo Power!
I don´t have any issues of this magazine I don´t live in the US and it´s not released here. Seemed like a good magazine though. It´s good that these kind of things are moving to internet, but there´s just something magical in these gaming magazines, especially Nintendo ones. I have 15 NGC magazines and they were really fun to read. Really, they threw funny jokes from left and right.

UpstateHyrule

UpstateHyrule said:

Nintendo Power was absolutely essential for any NES kid who wanted to claim supremacy on the playground at their elementary school. The maps and codes were treated like currency.

I've been there for the entire run and although it saw some lean times, things had been gotten better with the retro/nostalgia features that the current staff incorporated into the magazine. It was nice seeing other people who had read it when they were younger keep the Power going for the next generation.

SMW

SMW said:

I was a subscriber for a majority of the 90s, then dropped them when they started outsourcing. (Also because I was pretty low on cash at the time). I will still miss them, though!

Ryno

Ryno said:

That cover makes me feel like I ma 7 again every time I see it. Though I don't subscribe to Nintendo Power, I will have to get the final issue and should acquire the ones from the NES and SNES era that I am missing.

Lan

Lan said:

I was afraid of this happening for some time now. Stupid internet :/

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

As a subscriber of the original Nintendo Fun Club News back in the 80's (which was the pre-cursor to Nintendo Power), I am greatly saddened... Why are they not interested in renewing the magazine? Have sales dropped off? What's the reason? I just don't get it. At any rate, I am really really sad about this...

Millenia

Millenia said:

This is sad. Unfortunately I never had the magazine growing up, but I was hoping to become a new subscriber soon. Various great things from the past are slowly fading away these days.

Neram

Neram said:

Nnnoo! I better start buying up the last issues... Only ever subscribed once, but always wanted to again. This really sucks.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I've never owned even a single issue of Nintendo Power, but I'm still sad to see it go. :(

Yanchamaru

Yanchamaru said:

I first subscribed to Nintendo Power for the free copy of Dragon Warrior. Sad to see another childhood memory flushed down the toilet

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

This is very sad. I feel the magazine reached its prime in the SNES & N64 days, but even so it's THE only magazine I've ever cared about or subscribed to.

I can't help but wonder if this is a short-sighted decision. No doubt sales have been down due to the Wii being on life support for almost 2 years now. But with WiiU coming out soon, there will be a lot more to report.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I owned several copies. It was a nice magazine, that had a few bonuses and interesting issues. Sad to see them leave.

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

Wow. I've been getting and reading this Magazine for more than 11 years now. This news is really disheartening. (;△;)

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I will just copy what I said in the forums.

I can't believe it. I only started reading the magazine back in 2009, shortly after I discovered this site and the Nintendofanboy with in me. It seems that often get to the party a little late I started enjoying baseball recently even though it has gone through some it's worse years, Nintendo in a time when everybody's as written them off as a "Kiddie" company and of course this magazine.In the three years since I started reading it next to this site it has been my 2nd source of Nintendo news. I am glad they are not going digital as I would stopped reading NP if that were the case, but it is still sad to see them go. For some it is NP 1988-2012, but for me it is 2009-2012. Thank you NP.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I had that very issue in the photograph, and every issue for 4 or 5 years following. Then when I was moving a few years ago I thought, "I don't need these anymore" and threw them all out. God I wish I could undo that...those magazines were brilliant in their prime.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

To be honest though, the internet is quicker at getting to the news while magazines take a month or so before they're released... I'm surprised gaming magazines have lasted this long really. It's a shame when old icons pass but life must go on and we have to change with it.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I had a sub from issue one up until the N64/Playstation Era. I did buy a few issues here and there after Future took them over and honestly I thought NP was better with Nintendo at the helm. Too bad Nintendo wont take it back but in this internet age magazines are kinda pointless. For news that I would wait eagerly for bi-monthly I can now get in seconds. Sad to see it go but it was going to happen.

I would love to see them bring back Howard and Nester in the final issue.

@NintendoMaster: They probably will transfer your subscription to one of their other magazines.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

I was wondering why I haven't gotten a magazine in a while...o.oWow this is awful. I love Nintendo power....I love looking at (AND SMELLING) gaming magazines in general. I hope Game Informer will publish more Nintendo articles...:P

But hey Nintendo Life...this is your chance...PUT OUT A MAGAZINE...:D

Sadodi

Sadodi said:

Really don't mind this, since Nintendo Power doesn't sell in Europe. :/

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

Truly the end of an era. I used to love the magazine as a kid, and recently just completed a years subscription. I'm glad to say the magazine was still top-notch, full of humor and great info, and unbiased reviews. Will be very sad to see my subscription end.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I was a subscriber back in '88! However, I have no idea what I've done with all those classic issues. :(

Onett

Onett said:

After doing some digging and dusting, I've confirmed that I have the issue that has an inside look at the original Pokemon Gold & Silver games. Good times.

SteveW

SteveW said:

@zezhyrule - that's probably why they are shutting down... they couldn't survive without a wonderful fan like you (sarcasm)

This really does suck, the other magazines are full of crap (ads) and focused on the hyped up Xbox and PS3 titles, Nintendo games will never get good coverage in a magazine anymore...

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

What I don't understand is why they never went digital. Many magazines offer online or kindle subscriptions in addition to/instead of physical subscriptions. I was really hoping that Nintendo Power would be available digitally starting with the Wii U. It seems like a mistake to not renew them even just for that. Even if it was cut back, I'd read Nintendo Power every month, just like I watched Nintendo Week every week before it ended.

Though I'm not subscribed right now (I was last year), I've always loved the magazine. If they go, there won't be a good offline source for Nintendo news anymore, as most mulit-system magazines tend to focus more on Playstation and Xbox. They will certainly be missed.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@MattyJ2009 re:refunds on undelivered issues. IIRC its publishers discretion though they'll offer subscribing to an alternative at the minimum (maybe with a few bonus issues thrown in to make this attractive). Good will thing to do is refund so they tend to offer that too.

Quick question. Did Future share staff and articles between Nintendo Power in America and Nintendo Official Magazine (NOM) as they should have a lot in common. IIRC here in the UK they are consolidating (or have already done so) the multiple Nintendo magazine publications they have going (Future got the rights to the official magazine back in, I think 2006, when another publisher died but kept their current magazine going in the Bristol office while running NOM in the London one).

As for back in the day. Well, there were less sources to check your facts against so looking back you can notice some glaring issues. Also news actually was news then. That said they seemed to be a bit more creative in finding other things to cover.

RR529

RR529 said:

Sad news indeed. I got my first subscription back in the fall of 2007 (it came with a guide to FE: the Sacred Stones). After that, I actually bought the next few issues at the store, before renewing my subscription 2 times total. My last subscription ended earlier this year, and was planning on re subscribing, but now...

Rensch

Rensch said:

I don't think it was ever sold here in Holland, but there is Nintendo Official Magazine, which is mostly focused on the UK. I can't find that over here anymore either.

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

What a shame, I hope for the sake of our American compadres that Nintendo Power has a swift last minute recovery!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

NOOOOO! Not NP! That's my favorite magnazine! They need to continue it, as I don't want it to end. It's better than OMN in every way possible too.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

it's kinda been going the way of the dodo for a long time now... i wonder too why they never tried going digital. ah well, we'll always have backissues and fond memories of waiting for the mailman each month :(

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

I really hope the last issue coincides with the release of the Wii U.
That would truly be a great finale.

Also I hope there'll be a new Nintendo magazine launched in the US to replace it... $100 for a year of Official Nintendo Magazine?! Outrageous!

If not I'll have to start reading some crap about cars or something. I NEED MY MAGAZINES!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

@zezhyrule: Whoa. Easy, man. Regardless of your opinion of the magazine and its quality, that's people's jobs you're talking about there. This is sad news, not only for the industry history the publication represents, but because it means everyone involved is about to lose their livelihood. Being in the news industry, I feel for them and their families right now. They put out a pretty solid product and sadly, these kinds of things are ultimately just out of their hands.

I have a lot of good memories with that magazine. I no longer subscribe, but only because I don't have a mailbox at the moment. When I got it, I always looked forward to reading their features and I trusted their reviews, and used to take them hand-in-hand with NintendoLife's before I ever bought a game.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980 said:

It seems like the Tweets in question have been removed. Not sure what the reason is, but until the story is official, I'm considering this a rumor.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I've been getting these since the N64 days...think my first issue was when the first Smash came out. I mean yeah, now and days news gets out on the internet first, but its still nice to look at what NP had to say on some games and whatnot. :c

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

I knew this was going to happen someday. Magazines are outdated sources to read and has been since we entered the 21st century. The Internet is a much better and quicker source to read the news of anything gaming related.

Most of you need to get over it. We've entered an era where magazines have become irrelevant. This was going to happen sooner or later and you knew it too.

Sonic260

Sonic260 said:

Wow, and I just started subscribing to them last year, with all the hype about the new 3DS games and Wii U...

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980 said:

@TrueWiiMaster I totally agree with you on why they didn't give digital a chance, although I have a theory behind this: too many publications, be that of magazines or Internet.

I used to subscribe to Nintendo Power, but the reason why I don't is because of the Internet, and plus the magazines take up way too much physical room. I would have given the digital versions a chance, but even then, I'm not sure if it's worth the money when you can get most tips for free on the Internet.

If the story is true (at the time of this writing, the editors have removed their tweets), then it's sad to see such a well known publication go, but Nintendo Power has just become a victim of modern technology, for better or worse.

Emaan

Emaan said:

No! I've been subscribed to Nintendo Power for as long as I can remember. I collected them like crazy. What magazine will I wait every month for now? :(

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

@bro2dragons: "It's reported that Nintendo Power staff were advised of the development last week and are being gradually moved into other Future publications."

Punny

Punny said:

Well, that's one pleasure of mine gone down the drain. I'll never forget you, Nintendo Power. Sure, you can find video gaming news and tips all around the Internet these days, but Nintendo Power pioneered it first, doing it with great wit and a slightly sarcastic sense of humor. It was also on rare occasions a source of news that brought attention to certain games first, like Epic Mickey 2 and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate. I'll miss the funny editors, Mr. T. jokes, Power Profiles, reviews, previews, and especially the Power Up! section. Goodbye, Nintendo Power. Thank you for some great gaming moments. :'(

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

This is heartbreaking. All I can hope for is that the fans voice their disappointment. I'm going to go tweet Nintendo right now.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Well, that's one thing I like gone probably, THANKS NINTENDO ¬¬

Honestly, I just got another year subscription and only got two issues so far, I better get a refund if there planning to hurt there fans like this :P Whatever, I hate to say it but my love for Nintendo is starting to die, like....well, I guess Nintendo Power magazine :P

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

All good things must come to an end.
I wish all who work there,good luck it the future.

And remember Nintendo 4 life.

nf_2

nf_2 said:

I'm surprised it's lasted this long honestly. I was a subscriber from somewhere around 200-2001 but I stopped getting mine a few years ago. Once they changed their staff it lost a lot of the magic (I never did get to see Alan :() and the magazines never gave me any information I didn't already know about because I was using gaming websites more and more, so I cancelled my subscription. I'll admit, I was kind of sad when I got my last issue and I've missed being able to sit down and look through the magazines, but it's mostly out of nostalgia that I enjoyed reading it, not because it was a useful source for information.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Wow, people are really cynical and pretty negative about Nintendo on his thread. So many magazines are either cutting back to publishing only quarterly (Mad Magazine, GamePro) or just shut down altogether (PC Magazine, Vibe, Blender, Nickelodeon Magazine). Its just how the industry is right now. Anyway, I feel like Nintendo already has a nice internet presence where they don't need to publish a "digital magazine" (at least they do in Japan, the official Nintendo site in Japan is pretty nice, with lots of upcoming info, press releases and articles and videos on upcoming games, and of course the Nintendo Direct series).

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

Too bad. I've read some, and it was great. Their staff is something else, I hope to see them get relocated in something else, perhaps Nintendo related. Working on some Xbox or Playstation thing wouldn't hurt either.

Vampire-Jekyll

Vampire-Jekyll said:

My first issue was the white one with Link's face featuring Ocarina of Time. I've been a dedicated follower since then, taking game suggestions to heart and picking up valuable gems I would have otherwise missed. With me starting college next week I surely won't have the same disposable income that has allowed me to try out many of these games. What I'm trying to get at is that I've used NP as a sort of Nintendo gaming Bible over the years but if these rumors are true it may be for the best, at least personally, because my funds have to be allocated elsewhere.

TheHunter

TheHunter said:

Maybe they'll at least go digital like Shonen Jump did a few months back. I'll definitely miss them, I look forward to that showing up in my mailbox every month. I've kept every issue ever since they started doing the special subscriber editions.

Henmii

Henmii said:

It was to be expected! Almost nobody buys a magazine anymore, everything can be found on the internet!

While on one hand I think it's sad, I have to admit that I myself didn't buy any magazines anymore. That's just the way it goes!

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

@Hejiru Now THAT would be nice. Wii U & 3DS e-Reader + iBook store, Google Play, Amazon Kindle Store, & Nook Store. That might breathe some new life into it, and it could get extra publicity. I'd like to see anything to salvage it, as it's pretty good.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Its weird. In Japan a lot of things are digital, but people still buy magazines all the time. Its a cultural thing I guess.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Wow umm... this is pretty depressing for a longtime subscriber like me. Despite what I've been thinking about their quality declining ever since the internet finally came to full fruition, this loss still makes me very sad, as I always used to, and still enjoy, getting new issues in the mail.

Probably guessing issue 300 will be their last, but it'd better go out with a bang as promised.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

I love this magazine. Quality was present on every page. It often got me interested in games I would have never given a second glance.At one point I even aspired to maybe write for them someday. I really hope they renew their publication.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Thats cruddy, but not totally unexpected. Paper magazines are going the way of the dinosaur and considering that Nintendo is (finally) embracing the digital front... well, you do the math.
I've been a charter subscriber since I was a kid back in the 80s. I wish all those involved with the publication all the best on their future endeavors.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Man thats horrible! I remember seeing the first issue at my friends house and soon after got my own subcription. I stopped around the late 90's because I was busy with college but a few years ago picked it p again and now my sons are hooked on it! Its a huge blow, EGM and Gamepro are both pretty bad hen it comes to Nintendo news. Nintendo Life and IGN are both awesome, but somehow Nintendo Power always had a fresh prespective and stuff that even NL & IGN didnt have yet, (and thats not knocking NL & IGN's awesomeness). Nintendo Power will sorely be missed, I'm supprised that they didn't just offer free digital downloads like Entertainment Weekly does for their subscribers. The original article on arstechnica.com did say that Nintendo was extremely hard to work with. Oh well.

Crunc

Crunc said:

My oldest son is going to be distraught. He looks forward to every issue. :( I hope they figure out some way to keep it going.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I never had a Nintendo Subcription back in the late 80's/early 90's, but
i read most of them since my best friend was lucky enough
to get practically all of them. I think. They were pretty amazing back then!
I haven't touched a NIntendo power Magazine ever since the SNES ended, but
i finally got a yearly subcription with the launch of the 3DS. Haven't renewed it,
but I think i may actually do so considering NP has finally met their doom, and
will no doubt go out with a pretty crazy bang! Can't miss out on that! :p

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I still subscribe to Nintendo Power. This would be a sad day. I sure hope they at least finish out the year.

mamp

mamp said:

Well it is a waste of time, money and trees. Nintendo likes to keep things hidden so it's not like that magazine can give us any actual news. This magazine is like NOA, they reveal things to Nintendo fans that we already knew for a while because they act like us gamers are too stupid to use the internet to keep track of gaming news. The other things is that not much happens with Nintendo (at least with the Wii, it'd be months in betweeen before games came out) so it's not like they have much to write about.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

@mamp You obviously haven't picked up a Nintendo Power magazine in the last 7 years. They have cut back their news section in favor of more hands-on previews and feature articles, and these provide more depth and entertainment than anything on the internet. They actually give in-depth previews of games they've played builds of, which is something hard to find on the internet. If anything, the recent news is an afterthought in recent NP issues.

edcomics

edcomics said:

After picking up a copy at retail, I was thinking about starting up a subscription for the first time since the 90's. It's a fun magazine. It'll be a shame if it disappears.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Honestly, I can't believe it lasted this long.
But yeah. Internet makes it superfluous and obsolete.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

Sad, but hardly surprising. Printed media are dying out, and almost every other significant gaming magazine has gone under. Maybe it will survive as an online publication, but who knows.

PhantomLink29

PhantomLink29 said:

Well this is sad, I remember my parents getting the magazine for me every now and then when I was younger. I had a subscription during when they were doing the special Zelda issues in preparation for Twilight Princess, but it ended before I got all of the issues. Still, it was always fun to read the magazine, even recent issues. It's always sad to see something come to an end when it has been around for a long time.

DaBlobKips

DaBlobKips said:

NL, could you like...take over? Maybe it could now be a NL magazine like we've all wanted.

birthgirth

birthgirth said:

The magazines weren't just for news. They gave you a unique presentation and a feel good, happy, nostalgic vibe. Similar to the feeling I get when I think about Animal Crossing or Donkey Kong 64. Anyway! This is sad news. Internet cannot replace feelings :(

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

Lets start a petition to keep it in publication, i would be the first to sign it, people should pledge to subscribe or something, this cant happen!!!

Min

Min said:

I grew up reading this, so it's really a shock to the system to see it going away. I guess there's no more waiting anxiously by the mailbox for the new issue of NINTENDO POWER to excitedly show my brother and proceed to giddily talk about the new Zelda or Mario or whatever. Not that I've done that in a while, since my brother lost interest in video games and moved out a few years ago. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was a really wondrous thing to see all these new and interesting things about video games when you were young, and it's sad that it's not going to be around so other kids like myself (hopefully not overly like me, I'm kind of a mess) can get into a world as special as Hyrule or the Mushroom Kingdom.

That was a bit lengthy and it's not likely anyone will read it, but hey, why not right?

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

R.I.P. We always miss you.

The only magazine is now Club Nintendo in Mexico, it is from 1991 and it is an official magazine monthly.

NImH

NImH said:

So dang sad.I love Nintendo Power. I have been a subscriber for years and have shamelessly butchered many of them to use in art pieces. Now, I regret this decision.
To the misinformed (and surprisingly heartless):
Once printed literature has completely "gone digital," historical information and an unchangeable record of the past will all be up for manipulation. Always resist the trend to completely "go digital." Have a hard copy.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Just another in a long line of stupid, aggrivating decisions made by Nintendo, particularly the NA branch, the last few years.

NMRodo

NMRodo said:

Wow, this is surprising and disappointing. I've been a reader since the mid-2000s and a subscriber since 2008. I'll be sad to see it go, but I guess it couldn't have continued much longer, with print becoming more and more obsolete. The end of an era indeed.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Those who still have the original issues should hold onto them, now that Nintendo Power is almost gone I would bet that they become instant collector items. It would be even worth a lot more for a complete set.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

Philip_J_Reed said:

Pichuka97 said:
WHY???

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Hejiru Thanks for posting that. At least it gives us some hope even though it's not the print version it's still better then nothing! Hopefully this uproar will get Nintendo's attention! Now's not the time to be ticking it's fans off. With the launch of a new system. That might be the real reason why the tweets were taken down!

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Don't do it, Nintendo! Nintendo Week is already gone, how are we going to get first-hand news from Nintendo? Present company excluded, Nintendolife... (please don't hurt me!)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Aww, man, & I was thinking of subscribing. I know someone who stocks magazines, & he says basically no one buys the magazines anymore. True enough, since I always see a full shelf of 'em at all my local stores.

@Mr_Trill3506: I almost guarantee it!

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

First issue: December 1994, Aladdin SNES. Last issue: December 2002, Metroid Fusion. Nintendo Power's events, leader boards, power stamps/store, and contests linked people together around the world, particularly in the USA, at a time when few people had yet to acquire an internet connection. Every 50 issues, subscribers could expect some very special treats!

In the '90s and early '00s, the technology used to print clear images of game screens, then linking them together, was above and beyond any digital photographic print technology used for games at the time. No other source provided these official records of data. For certain upcoming AAA titles, Nintendo gave subscribers VHS tapes detailing the game play (for free). The most elaborate of these tapes was the first one: an insider peek of the Nintendo Treehouse team working with Rare, during Donkey Kong Country 1's development. This was far more interesting than any demo CD's!

The "Epic Center" enlightened me about RPG's, which were (and still are) rarely ever mentioned in the USA. "Pak Watch" was the closest thing that anyone not visiting a dedicated gaming store (at least once a month) had to reliable spreadsheets of release dates and schedules. The articles on the Digipen Institute of Redmond, Washington, near NOA's HQ, gave young readers a look into aspiring rookie game developers' works, inspiring my interest in joining the games industry.

In NP's waning years, I bought a few off the shelf to read about the Veteran Developer Interviews, i.e. Rieko Kodama, who directed the original Phantasy Star series, and Naoto Oshima, who designed Sonic.

Suffice it say, I have many fond memories of Nintendo Power. I can only hope future generations will have something so special to look forward to...

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

@ogo79 More like dead after the Gamecube/GBA era. Until then, few people had access to the internet, few people had written elaborate FAQ's, and few reliable news sources existed for raw, hard data. All of these things, which we take for granted today, were a revelation for many people ten years ago.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Wow, another magazine bites the dust....presumedly in favor of digital formats. The only reason i suspect this sort of thing is because the same unfortunate thing has been happening with other magazines subscriptions of mine (In some ways forcing to find other maagzines that provide option physical magazine or digital; Game Informer and @Gamer. Personally, I think digital content copies be a freebie to those who prefer the physical copy, not a subscription preference); GamePro, Shonen Jump.....Official XBox Magazine is still in circulation, though.

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

To those who just started reading Nintendo Power from 2007. You Have No Idea.

See in the 90's and early 00's the magazine was amazing and nearly every issue came with a rare goodie (better than that Club Nintendo nonsense) I remember being astounded as a kid when I opened an issue and a cardboard page was a model arwing from Star Fox!! A few of them came with exclusive comics and super rare pokemon cards!!

Subscriber bonuses were given out like crazy!! One time I got a N64 Donkey Kong 64 banana controller and some people got cooler stuff like The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition JUST for subscribing!!!

.... then Future US took over... sniff sniff and it was never the same....

MeWario

MeWario said:

Man before the internet came along (screw you Nintendo Life! haha) the only way to learn about new games was through Nintendo Power. I used to rip though the pages, studying them word for word and dreaming of playing the amazing games inside. As much a part of my childhood as the consoles themselves! I'll miss you guys =)

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Maybe Nintendo isn't renewing the magazine because a) they want to make it an in-house-only magazine again (or create a new magazine in-house or otherwise) or b) Nintendo feels it can provide better news and information, reviews in their own (biased) 3DS e-Shop and Wii U channels.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Ah man... I knew this was going to happen eventually, but now that it's really happening it feels unreal. I have some of the earliest issues, including the first. And I am still subscribed to this day, though their articles were becoming slightly less interesting. Farewell Nintendo Power, I shall miss our time together. Though you did a great job making an awesome milestone.

hydeks

hydeks said:

All honesty, Nintendo is hurting themselves on this. PlayStation, Xbox, and pc, all have magazines/official magazines through future publication, so if Nintendo gets rid of nintendo power and keeps official nintendo magazine alive though (official magazine in england area, costs $100 for people in NA to subscribe though ><) than I can't help but feel like Nintendo is either having a rough go at it in NA now, or they just don't seem to care about us as customers anymore compared to europe and japan (which really feels like the case lately)

Fine, get rid of the publication, even if you turn it digital, I want my money back :P I want TRUE Nintendo Power (if anyone decides to put up a petition, put the link on this forum and I'll definitely sign it)

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

This really does suck. It's very disappointing because NP is the ONLY gaming magazine still out that is genuinely enthusiastic and positive about gaming. You'll never find snarky commentaries or reviews by crotchety, jaded hournalists who think they know everything about gaming that pepper their pages like pretty much all gamingin magazines these days - Especially Gameinformer. Was going to let my Gameinformer subscription expire because I'm sick of the negative and contstant "whoa-is-me" commentary towards anything that isn't mature themed and edgy. But with EGM being bi-monthly, what else is there now? Nintendo Power was truly a great, positive publication that was enjoyable to read cover to cover. You will be missed!

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

I wonder what'll happen to their catalogs they used to offer, if they still do, to subscribers once this goes away....This'll only make obtaining such valued goodies even harder to find! half the time i'm finding stuff on Club Nintendo I can't even afford (Not that half of it is even worth it imo, no offense), 1 because of $ and 2 half the time i don't really feel I'm even being offered enough to compell me and keep as much interest.

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

After reading the article again, I'm actually taking something different and maybe positive away from this.

"A source speaking to Ars Technica said Nintendo was always "difficult to work with" and the company was uninterested in renewing its contract or "taking part in a number of digital initiatives that Future saw as necessary for the long-term health of the brand."

This is telling me that "the company" (Nintendo) was uninterested in renewing it's contract (with Future - I'm assuming) or taking part of a number of digital intiatives that Future saw as necessary for the long-term health of the brand (Nintendo Power Magazine, I'm assuming)."

What this tells me is that Nintendo wasn't too happy with Future publishing and, knowing how Future Publishing is looking to push more content to digital media - away from paper, they didn't want to continue with them. I think the fact that the quote from Future saying Nintendo was "difficult to deal with" was in the same sentence might make it seem that it's Future Publishing was pulling the plug. But it's the other way around. If you're an optimistic sort, you MIGHT infer that Nintendo wasn't in line with moving the magazine to digital. Or they just weren't happy with Future and might even take thier publishing needs to another publisher. My guess, folks, is that this isn't the end of Nintendo Power. It's just the end of Future Publishing's NP. Just look at what happened with the death and re-birth of EGM. If memory serves, their last Publisher before Steve Harris (Founder of EGM) was Future...