Nintendo Confirms Its Holiday Hits in North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Paper Mario, art, freaky formees and a famous professor

We've already brought you the disappointing news that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is pushed back to 2013 in North America, but we do have details on some games that most assuredly are confirmed for 2012. In fact, looking at the schedule suggests that Luigi may have been given a breather so that he's not out-gunned or forgotten later this year, as other titles and a certain Wii U squeeze onto store shelves.

The headline news is that Paper Mario: Sticker Star will arrive on 11th November, not surprising considering its extensive coverage during E3. North Americans will also be able to get their hands on a long awaited title, launched with 3DS in Japan way back in February 2011, when Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask brings some 3D puzzling on 28th October. Finally, there's some catch up with European releases, as Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone! — known as New Art Academy in Europe — arrives on 1st October, and Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive! hits on 5th November.

There are some good options on the way for all sorts of gamers, but if you're interested in something else the handheld release lists from Nintendo are below for your reading pleasure.

Nintendo 3DS

Activision Publishing, Inc. - Angry Birds Trilogy - October
Activision Publishing, Inc. - Bratz: Fashion Boutique - October
Activision Publishing, Inc. - Lalaloopsy: Carnival of Friends - October
Activision Publishing, Inc. - Moshi Monsters Moshlings Theme Park - October
Activision Publishing, Inc. - Skylanders Giants - Oct. 21
Activision Publishing, Inc. - TRANSFORMERS PRIME - Oct. 30
Activision Publishing, Inc. - The Trash Pack - October
Activision Publishing, Inc. - Wipeout 3 - October
Activision Publishing, Inc. - Wreck It Ralph - October
Aksys Games Localization, Inc. - Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward - Oct. 23
ATLUS (Index Digital Media, Inc.) - Code of Princess - Oct. 9
D3Publisher - Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game - Nov. 20
D3Publisher - Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?! - Fall
D3Publisher - Ben 10: Omniverse - Fall

Nintendo - Pokémon Black Version 2 - Oct. 7
Nintendo - Pokémon White Version 2 - Oct. 7
Scholastic Inc. - I SPY Game Pack - September
Scholastic Inc. - Smart Games for Kids - September
Telegames, Inc. - Puzzle Overload - October
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment - LEGO The Lord of the Rings - Fall

So, what are you planning to buy later this year?

Related Games

Punny

Punny said:

Wario Land II and a Fluidity Sequel? Awesome. I'm also looking forward to the Paper Mario: Sticker Star launch in November. :)

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Wow, that's a fair few releases still to come for the DS (though, granted, I assume many of them probably don't warrant a purchase.)

I think I've got about 5 more DS games I want to get before I'm done, including Pokemon Black 2 and Adventure Time. Hopefully I don't end up adding too many more to my list!

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I hate it that they don't have a release date for the 2 Sonic 3DS VC games :(

Klinny

Klinny said:

Definitely very excited for Paper Mario and Pokémon Black 2. I'm also interested in the new Freakyforms and Harvest Moon games, but those may have to wait a tad.

But a ~very girly squeal of joy~ goes to Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Can't wait!

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

Is layton coming to europe? If so, has there been any word on a release date?

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@bezerker99 What Monster Hunter game are you expecting? Since Capcom hasn't announced anything at all, I doubt you'd get a release date from Nintendo before Capcom would announce a localization.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Look at the eShop list, UFO's churning out another game called " Johnny Impossible". So I guess Johnny will be a line of games, even though it's not a good thing considering UFO's track record on the eShop.

Barbiegurl777

Paper Mario
Luigi's Mansion 2
AC:3DS

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Ah god so much shovelware...
and about Monster Hunter...

Capcom has been teasing something about it quite a bit lately. They will attend upcoming Gamescom and sources at IGN say they will have 3 unannounced subjects to cover there. At least ONE of them could be Monster Hunter related and seeing how Capcom failed (mostly) to bring the appeal of Monster Hunter to Europe/US when in Japan its so big its about time they do something. PC Games like "Hunter's Blade" and "Raider Z" are already starting to capitalize on real-action-MMOs-technique with focus on Monster-hunting. Sounds familiar? Yep it does.

So my guess: Monster Hunter 3G release-date during gamescom in germany!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I think they its more certain that they will put Monster Hunter 4 overseas anyway, rather than MH3G.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Hmm I rather have ANY of them than NON, that said, I don't mind too much which one, I just don't want to wait another year+! ;(

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

Christmas will be nice to me this year :D I'll pick up my first Layton game ever and happy to see Code of Princess is coming soon, very intrested in that title.

ueI

ueI said:

Why is pokedex 3D pro coming out a month after all the other pokemon games?

Emaan

Emaan said:

At least I still have Paper Mario: Sticker Star to look forward to. :D

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Scollurio Well, they've started having adverts on TV here for Monster Hunter 4 coming out in the spring, so if they announce something in other territories in the coming weeks Monster Hunter related, it would make sense to announce a coming MH4 release in NA/EU, rather than back-peddle and announce MH3G almost a year after it came out in Japan.

kingofe3

kingofe3 said:

You should probably include that this is partial list so people won't freak out thinking is all we get for the rest of the year. Just saying.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

Getting:
Paper Mario:Sticker Star
Freakyforms Deluxe:Your Creations Alive!
Epic Mickey:Power Of Illusion
Pokemon Dream Radar

Maybe:
Fluidity: Spin Cycle
And Speed X 3D.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Scollurio I could be wrong, but since we over here are already moving on from this game, it would just make sense for a big giant new MH game to be released to everyone at the same time. MH3G is essentially just a special edition of MH3, it kinda doesn't feel like its own full game at times.

Don't get me wrong, its very fun, but still, MH4 looks to be a huge big game for all of us, so it makes sense for all regions to get it.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

So much for playing Dark Moon on Halloween. >_>
At least Sticker Star is coming though.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

I'm getting Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Fluidity for the eShop, Art Acadamy on the eShop, and maybe Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

RR529

RR529 said:

I think I've heard about Fractured Soul before, but I can't remember where. Something's telling me I should be interested in it.

Wario Land II, Cave Story+, and Unchained Blades all appear to be coming soon as well :)

NightSky is pushed back to Q4 it seems :(

Johnny Impossible (by UFO)...
Don't tell me they're actually making a sequel to Johnny Kung Fu -_-

ZeekyInc

ZeekyInc said:

Wait, I'm confused. Is Unchained Blades coming out this summer or next summer?

I'm excited for Paper Mario mostly. I'm also looking forward to SEGA All-Star Racing.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

For all you wondering what to play on Halloween now that LM: Dark Moon is pushed back... might I suggest Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Oct. 23rd)??

Raghav

Raghav said:

Gonna get New Super Mario Bros 2, Pokemon Black and White 2 and also Paper Mario Sticker Stars

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Paper Mario and Professor Layton are must haves.
Great Suggestion LittleIrves, I agree, I'll be picking that up on my Vita. Although I would definitely prefer the lighthearted scares of Luigi.

mamp

mamp said:

For this year: NSMB 2
Professor Layton
Paper Mario
Code of Princess (maybe)
Zero Escape
Adventure Time (keeping an eye on that one)
for eshop I'm only excited for Pokedex 3D pro
also Kirby's Dreamland 2 isn't on there

DreaddJester

DreaddJester said:

Holding out for a Monster Hunter or Rune Factory title on the 3ds. I'll hold my breath till I turn blue!!! lol Code of Princess and Harvest Moon sound like fun too though.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I'll get all of those VC games where they hit here. But what the heck is gradius anyway? I mean, isn't it a different name on the GB?

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I'm mad as hell about Luigi's Mansion. Furious even. And sad. What if we never get to play it now because of the end of the world? T_T

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

So, I'm guessing Pokemon Black/White 2 are the last games Nintendo's making for the DS?

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Professor Layton, Zero Escape , and Code of Princess are the games I will be getting for sure. Getting the Sonic Transformed game on one of the consoles. I might get Epic Mickey. Not too excited about Paper Mario though.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Getting:
Fluidity: Spin Cycle (Why did I not know about this game until now!?)
Cave Story+
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Luigi's Mansion 2

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Fluidity sequel! Holy cow that's awesome and came out of nowhere! Hurray for a solid release date for Paper Mario already too.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

A new Fluidity!? Oh yeah! Bad for Luigi's Mansion but I'm REALLY happy to see Fluidity get a sequel!

Oziku

Oziku said:

Ugh these holiday games look like their going to suck, oh well can't tell untill I see the trailers or more info.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, Sticker Star was the only one for after this month. But, surprisingly, we're ACTUALLY getting Wario Land II? Not to discredit the people who write these articles, but I'll only believe it when I see it in the eShop. After all, it took them how friggin' long to get the first Wario Land to America.

Medicham

Medicham said:

Ummmm... Why is the Ds even getting new games? Its a gorgeous handheld that needs to call it quits. Pokemon Black and White 2 will be its last great game. Its not an exclusive to the 3ds cuz Nintendo knows that alotta of its fan can't afford the 3ds just yet. I'm pretty sure the 3ds will drop price when the Wii U comes out... But anyway... Paper Mario? Wha??? I don't want it.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Medicham
It's one of the most popular systems ever and still has a HUGE user base. In other words, a lot of money can still be made of off DS sales. Cutting game development for it instantly like that would be a big mistake.

Just look at how Sony kept the Ps2 alive years after the Ps3 came out.

SMW

SMW said:

SEGA Racing 2 for me!

Others of interest:
Epic Mickey
New Super Mario Bros. 2
LEGO LoTR

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Woohoo!! Can't wait for the new Layton! (But after Rhythm Thief I'm gonna want to groove my way through the puzzles instead of thinking them out! =D)

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Wait... where's Roller Coaster Tycoon 3D? Has it been canceled... again?

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Seriously, Art Academy, Style Savvy, Adventure Time , Pokemon Black 2 and Professor Layton all in the same month! Talk about putting a hurt in my wallet!

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

There is no Castlevania for 3DS on that list!!!!! :(.

I would love to see Rune Factory 4 make its way to the states.

I think Epic Mickey, Art Academy and Professor Layton are my pick-ups.

Nintendo eShop looks really weak, nothing like earlier when we got Sakura Samurai, Dillion and Pushmo. I DID NOT like Fluidity, so I chafe at the thought of a sequel (and wish Nintendo had put their efforts elsewhere). Also, no 3D classics anywhere on the list. I guess that series is dead. I wish it had first made some actual classics into 3D games. Like, I don't know, SMB3? Zelda? Metroid? You know, actual classics.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

The eShop list is so much better than the 3DS list. NightSky, I was looking forward to playing you this summer, but after 3 years of waiting I suppose a few more months can't hurt.

And I suppose Castlevania won't be coming out this year either? Great. Unless I suddenly want Paper Mario, no new retail 3DS games for me the rest of the year.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Doesn't look like I'll be asking for any games for Christmas this year. Pretty weak holiday line-up if you ask me.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I literally shouted "OOOooOOOoOOooooOO" into the air when I read Fluidity: Spin Cycle for 3DS eShop.

iphys

iphys said:

Too bad about Luigi's Mansion, but that's cool Layton is coming so soon.

Lol, how many times can Nightsky be delayed? I'm going to be shocked if it ever actually does get released.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward - Oct. 23

Good to know; I hadn't seen a more specific official date than "October" before now.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I'm getting:

Pokemon White or Black
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed

...And that's all I know I'm getting for sure. I want Paper Mario & Angry Birds also, but I don't absolutely know if I'll get them or not, considering the Wii U, and its games.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

So far I'm getting New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, and Wario Land II. I'll wait to see what the reviews are like for Wreck-It Ralph and Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing and then what console versions I would want.

All of those are good games, but without the Wii U and its launch line-up, this holiday season would probably be average for Nintendo.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

About the only things that interest me are:

Disney Interactive - Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion - Nov. 18
Nintendo - New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Aug. 19
Nintendo - Paper Mario: Sticker Star - Nov. 11
Konami - Mystical Ninja starring Goemon - Q3
Nicalis - Nightsky - Q4
nnooo - Spirit Hunters Inc. - Q4

I have faith in Nnooo that they will do better with Spirit Hunters Inc. that that Spirit Camera game fared. Nightsky... so it's jumped platforms eh? Still looking forward to playing this. Didn't know there was a GB Goemon but I'm all over that. Both Mario games need no intro or explanation. And I'm remotely interested in Mickey, so we'll see how I feel when it comes out. As for everything else, either I am totally not interested or I'm on "wait and see" patrol.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

not many to pick from that pile of dreck. Paper Mario, Layton, Pokemon BW2. I have my eye on the Adventure Time game. I really thought the 3DS would take off this year but without some more quality games coming, its just not going to happen.

busterkuri

busterkuri said:

Paper Mario and Professor Layton coming out within a few weeks of each other. I can't wait.

Contrary

Contrary said:

Pokemon Black 2 or White 2, Pokedex 3D Pro and Dream Radar, maybe NSMB@ and Paper Mario. I'll see what goes down in reviews and such before I decide on which Mario game.

RR529

RR529 said:

@3DSonicPizza, how can you possibly be considering a purchase of the Angry Birds Trilogy at $30!?!

You can get all 3 games elsewhere for a total cost $3 at most (heck, throw in an extra dollar, and you can get the fourth game as well).

The 3DS version may or may not be superior to the other versions, but I can't concieve anything they could add that would warrant the extra $27. I could maybe understand if you literally have no other option (heck, I'm not even saying the games are bad), but be warned, this package is quite possibly the biggest ripoff in gaming history.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I honestly don't mind the delays. My priority this year is Wii U with NSMBU, and I only have so much money to go around. Paper Mario has been my most anticipated game sinse the 3DS was first shown, so I really don't feel like I have anything to complain about. Also, as Miyamoto once said, a bad game is bad forever, but a delayed game can eventually become good. Not an exact quote, but that's the jist of what he was trying to express.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@Medicham
Halfway. I was going to wait for more reviews on it regardless, but this whole "it is coming, its not coming, it is coming, its not listed as coming" thing is getting old.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Out of the retail games, the only ones that really look interesting to me are Code of Princess, S&S All-Star Racing Transformed, and Pokémon Black 2.

realar

realar said:

Well, considering I lost my 3DS, I'm going for the XL when I can afford it. But the game I'll be buying for sure is Pokemon White 2. Even though it is missing a few of my favorite pokemon (Heracross), all my Unova favorites are fine and dandy.
When I get the XL, I'm getting Dream Radar, to get my Thundurus!

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

No animal crossing 3DS? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
But i will definitely be getting pokemon black and white 2
zelda 2 the adventure(s) of link
pokedex 3d pro
and paper mario sticker star!