Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge Brings Series Back to the Hardcore on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

"It's kind of the hardcore fan package of Ninja Gaiden 3"

When Ninja Gaiden 3 arrived on the HD systems, it divided critics due to its attempts to shift the focus of the series towards a mainstream-friendly style, alienating long term fans in the process. Our Ninja Gaiden 3 review on Push Square matched the opinions of some other critics, arguing that Team Ninja had lost sight of what made the series popular in the first place.

The announcement of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for Wii U perhaps didn't set the pulses racing for fans of the series, with a fear that it would take the mis-steps of the original version and add gimmicks to accommodate the Wii U GamePad, with some cursory extras thrown in. Team Ninja boss Yosuke Hayashi has spoken to Eurogamer to assure fans that this won't be the case, and has stated that the Wii U version has been re-worked in order to bring the series closer to its roots, while acknowledging the complaints about the original.

We had this opportunity to put those hardcore aspects back in. It's kind of the hardcore fan package of Ninja Gaiden 3.

There were good elements and bad elements of it [the original]. Obviously there are new things in there too, but we shouldn't try and throw out what Team Ninja is good at.

For the 'hardcore' fans of the series, this may be promising, and we'll see whether the final result delivers.

[via eurogamer.net]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Well that's good. I definitely think that this version will be a lot better than the original.

Not a buy from me though since I don't have any interest in the franchise.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

This is good news, but also something that I'm very cautious about. As a massive fan of the series — as the link to my review above will show — NG3 was a massive letdown for me. Hopefully this they did realize that the changes they made to the game we're for the best and they really will do as they say and bring it closer to its core gameplay. It's going to take a lot of restructuring to do so, but they can do it.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Not a fan of 3D Gaiden. Then again, i'm not a fan of any 3D Hack & Slash based title. Hopefully an NES-like NGIV sequal will rear it's head sometime in the future. Ya, in my Ryu Hayabusa dreams. er? :p

Bankai

Bankai said:

I liked the original, very misunderstood game. I actually think the extra difficulty will hurt what the director was going for with this game.

Oh well, another Wii U game I don't need to waste my time on.

moomoo

moomoo said:

Way to screw over the people who bought the collector's edition of this game, Team Ninja...

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

I may not get it, but it has the potential to sell consoles so I'm all for it.

kevohki

kevohki said:

Well it can't be worse than the original Ninja Gaiden 3. They should have called it Seizure Gaiden thanks to the kill camera zooming all over the place every three seconds.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I love classic Ninja Gaiden (NES) and enjoyed Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox and Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma on the PS3. I avoided 3 after reading reviews so I am encouraged to hear more about the "the hardcore fan package of Ninja Gaiden 3" for the Wii U.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I haven't touched NG since I played the first one for Xbox, so this is good news to me. The more hairpulling NG is, the more...NG... it is :P

Shworange

Shworange said:

Talk is cheap. Could he at least give a hit of what he meant. He was farley cryptic in his comment. That could be anything really or basically nothing at all.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Cool, but it seems like a weird move to bring the hardcore ninja gaiden 3 experience on Wii U, a company more known for it's casual now. I don't know, I think I rather have this on my PS3 :P Awesome for pure Nintendo fans, but personally, I rather have it for my hardcore console :P

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Good news. More people should add significant changes to their "ports," giving people a reason to actually buy them or rebuy them without feeling slighted.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Didn't Team Ninja say that Nintendo has been helping them make the product better some time back? It could be exactly what the doctor asked for!

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Wow, something else I might be looking forward to. Here's to hoping that it'll be better than the 360 and PS3 version. Much better.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

very much looking forward to this. I played the first one on xbox and loved it. I was concerned about change in the gameplay, but it sounds like this will be similar to Ninja Gaiden X with an increased difficulty level.