New Super Mario Bros. 2 Typo Isn't So Golden

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

More grammatical 'revelaitons'

It can be a pastime of some gamers to chortle at spelling errors or sloppy typos in video games, with many recently enjoying a typo by Capcom in its now infamous Resident Evil Revelaitons packaging for, of course, Revelations.

While that version of the packaging became, bizarrely, a collector's item of sorts, it seems Nintendo feels the pain of those of us that missed out, and is making sure that all 3DS owners have some poor grammar to point at. This error isn't in some niche release that hardly anyone will buy, but in New Super Mario Bros. 2. The dodgy sentence in question appears when Coin Rush is first unlocked, and in case you think the screengrab above is an elaborate forgery by someone with way too much time on their hands, you can check out the video from GameXplain, below.

We didn't actually spot this when playing it ourselves, possible because we were giddily tapping the 'OK' button to actually play the game. So, does seeing this prompt feelings of schadenfreude — pleasure derived from the misfortune of others — or do you not give one hoot?

[via gamexplain.com]

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Hehe. It's not too bad because it's not like it's a screen you can see more than once.

I would laugh more if something more important, such as GAME OVER was misspelled.....but actually, I don't think that a single person has seen the game over screen yet.... waaayy to many 1=ups. :P

Nintendaholic

Nintendaholic said:

we need a comment like button here. Dazza's incredibley brilliant comment can not go unnoticed .

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i don't see it no matter how long i look at it (watches video) "will be also be exchanged" oh lol, i need to actually read things aloud more often

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I didn't catch it either and I probably reread the screen capture five times before finally seeing it. Weird how our minds can play tricks on us, even if they're helpful tricks by editing mistakes. Well, now we all know what the first DLC will be for NSMB2. ;)

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

lol it took me awhile to clue in. I was looking for a spelling mistake not an extra word lol it's not that big of deal though

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

I needed to read it 4 times. I was like,"I don't see what the hel... ooooh..."

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

I couldn't even see the mistake myself, no matter how many times I read that screen. Had to read the comments to spot it. Damn you, internal spellchecker!

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

@Dazza Simply brilliant. You deserve a cookie. Oh dear... looks like someone beat me to the jar.
Untitled

This is really a bad blunder, though not really that bad, since everyone will probably just shoot through it. But now that it is out there, there is no way to fix it.

Scary_Old_Lady

Scary_Old_Lady said:

This is confusing!
~StreetPass~
Exchange Coin Rush records with people you meet!

Your Mii and name will also be exchanged.

That's what it says. Why is everyone saying it's wrong?

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I'm one to chortle at it. It's hard to spot because our brains auto-fix it, and you don't notice 'til you look really closely.

I've noticed I've had spelling errors in my comics before and I proofread them about a dozen times. I wouldn't spot it until years later, and NONE of my readers ever noticed. So, everyone does it and it's more something to laugh about than gnash your teeth over.

Onett

Onett said:

... and somebody just lost their job for letting that one slip through the cracks.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Anyways, I hate Grammar typos. Spelling errors are easy to catch, but I speed-read so fast I always just auto-skip over the misplaced words. Makes me nervous when I proofread papers.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Is Nintendo so flawless that they can't make a typo here and there? I don't think so. The company is run by people after all, not game making genius gods like many would believe.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

At least it's not as bad as the Super Mario Bros. 2 NES credits.

And I skipped through that screen too fast for me to catch the first time.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

ILMAO! @ Chris720's Comment
and to PxelatedPixie its probably best to check your own grammar before you start slagging others off about the same thing, just an idea :)

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

Well, this is minor compared to the terrible lag in multiplayer. I hope they fix it...

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Aslo, it's hilaroius all tehse people making tyop jokes taht keep geting misunderstanded.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I really don't think this is comparable to the "revelaitons" fiasco. It's pretty awkward/surprising that it got through with a typo, but it's just one extra word on a page most people won't pay any attention to, and will probably only see once (Probably how it was missed). It's not like they put New Super Morio Bros 2 on the cover.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

I've been shopping for e-books a lot lately since I bought a tablet (Nexus 7) and it's amazing how many grammatical errors (grammos?) and typos there are in publisher book descriptions. You'd think publishers would have editors to review everything before it goes public. But they just don't seem to care.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

I totally missed it because I wanted to hurry up and unlock Coin Rush mode today! LOL ;) I just purchased a retail NSMB2 and played through the first world and noticed that. I'm a huge editor at large to all who know me, but I didn't notice it either. Must have been Mario Madness ;) lol

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

This isnt the only typo. There's also at least one in the Operations Manual about DLC... telling us "How to Purchase Downloadble Course Packs".

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

I don't know if this deserves any attention at all. My guess is it has nothing to do with localization and more with a simple typo that everyone makes every day of their lives that simply got by overlooked by testers for the same reason it was by almost everyone else — your brain is trained to skip words in a sentence that are unnecessary for comprehension. An extra be goes completely unnoticed unless you're poring over the sentence carefully.

As bugs go, chalk this one up as 'Extremely Minor'. When Nintendo starts releasing games with dozens of game breaking bugs (cough: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960495-lego-harry-potter-years-1-4/55523165), I'll be worried.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Took me so long to find out the mistake that I had to watch the video and hear the guy say it out loud...

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

"Conglaturation. You have completed a great game. And prooved the justice of our culture. Now go and rest our heroes!"
Just Ghost busters from the NES being grammatically awesome :P

geckofreak

geckofreak said:

Stupid typo but no big deal! I figured it must have been something funny so I was dissapointed to see it was just a grammatical error... doesn't look for Nintendo but meh, it happens.

Lan

Lan said:

I'm a bit of a grammar nazi and I remember noticing all kinds of typos in THQ's UFC Undisputed 2009. Another reason I hate THQ

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

@TysonQ7 I know a patch is always possible, but why go through the trouble of fixing it if it is such a small error as that. Maka Wuhu on the other hand adversely affected game play.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Where'd my comment go? :S EDIT: Oh well I'll just say it again. Meh. Does an extra word somehow change anything about the gameplay or storyline in any way shape or form? No. It doesn't matter, it's not even patch worthy.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@WiiLovePeace We demand a patch! How dare they make a mistake like that! This is worse than the Maka Wuhu glitch, a grammatical error is unforgivable! We must hang the person who did this!

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

well lets hope nintendo wont take it too seriously and fire the one who translated the game. that would be little too harsh(even if this game is their pride and joy)

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

it sounds like you trade your mii to a random loser!AND DON'T GET IT BACK! ROTFL!

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Uh-Oh The truck have started to move.

I feel asleep.

Ah Metal Gear NES never fails to dissapoint in quoting. :)

Oh, and one of the Nintendo Power Vol. 250 Famous Character lines. Toad: Thank you Mario, but our Princess is another castle.
Looks like NP missed a word in a very famous quote.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

p.s. super Mario 64 has a typo.when you first talk to Yoshi he'll say "Mario? it is really you?". its supposed to say "Mario? is it really you?".

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

It actually took me a few moments to notice what it was, I kept looking at "Character" waiting for it to be spelled wrong. :p

eek988

eek988 said:

Also on the back of the manual it says "Note: Co-op Play requires two Nintendo 3DS systems and two game cards and two game cards (each sold separately).".
For people who missed it "two game cards" is said twice.
So we need four game cards? Ha..ha...

Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy said:

Be glad that spelling greatness has greatly increased since spelling even began!
I saw in the Go!Animate Terms of Use at LEAST 5 spelling errors...

Electric

Electric said:

Nintendo intentionally put that typo in to test you. Most of you have failed. (Including me.)

8blue8mg

8blue8mg said:

(YOU HEARD THIS HERE FIRST, I FOUND THIS OUT BY MYSELF)THERE'S ANOTHER TYPO ON THE POWER UP ACTIONS SIDE OF THE ACTION GUIDE IT SAYS "Note: Co-op Pay requires two Nintendo 3DS systems and two game cards and two game cards (each sold separately."