New Super Mario Bros. 2 Still Grabbing Coins in UK Chart

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Top single-format title

Last week there was news of a decent start in the UK for New Super Mario Bros. 2, which came into the all-format charts in second place behind the multi-platform Square Enix title Sleeping Dogs. This week has Mario's latest drop one place to third, behind Sleeping Dogs at number one and new entry Darksiders II. There was a 25% drop in sales since launch week, but it's the only single-platform title in the top 10, which is a solid achievement.

Results for other Nintendo-based titles are rather mixed, with all established entries falling away. Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games understandably drops to 8th place, while evergreen 3DS titles Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land fall to 19th and 32nd, respectively. The ever-present Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo on DS resides in 27th place.

Quiet away from the top, but Mario's latest is still going strong in the UK.

[via ukie.info]

Mok

Mok said:

An average Mario title and it still sells incredibly well. I hope Nintendo doesn't take that as a sign to continue rushing out below-par Mario games...

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

I really wouldn't call NSMB2 sub-par at all. Incredibly fun title that actually plays a fair deal better than its predecessor. It's an appropriate sequel, just one that looks a bit more similar than we're used to.

BenAV

BenAV said:

It makes me sad to see something like Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo on the list but some really good games missing out completely.
What is wrong with people? D:

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

and dont forget that not everybody has played all those other Mario games. If you're a 12 year old kid with a 3DS it is a funtastic new game. Heck, im an old fart and i still love it to bits

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@Mok
It's actually not that average, just very conservative.
2D Mario platformers actually sell much more than the 3D mario platformers ya know.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Glad to see people defend NSMB2 on here. Especially the comment about a 12-year-old playing it and their reaction. It's a fantastic game, only slightly dulled by a generation's jaded response to familiar concepts. Know how we all love SMB3 or SMW so much? How old were you when you played it for the first time?

Nintex

Nintex said:

I don't understand why people are saying NSMB2 is sub-par. The game is incredibly fun to play and the allure of the coins has had me playing this game nonstop. In fact I think this game has the most replayability of any of the 2-d mario titles except for maybe SMW. The game is great, I totally recommend it.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

@Nintex No joke, this game has me replaying levels time and time and time again just to best my previous coin record. It's actually done a lot for the way I approach the game, and it makes it a much lengthier and more appreciative experience for me.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Nice one of my friends turned me to playing the moshi monsters game online a few months ago it's really fun.:D

Gonna get the moshi monsters moshling zoo ds & moshi monsters: theme park 3ds yay!!!!

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

As someone who doesn't have either of the other NSMB games, I think NSMB2 is fantastic.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I always find it funny when everyone talks about how Mario is being overdone (which is certainly true), and yet when a new game comes out, he still sells like hotcakes.

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

Does anyone remember "Nintendo hard"? It seems Nintendo doesn't. This Mario game is so stupid easy that I would have been really angry if I had paid for it. I understand that Kirby games are supposed to have zero challenge, but Mario was always about lightning reflexes and skill. Not anymore.

Hokori

Hokori said:

All this Nintendo hard from back in the day I don't really get, I remember playing SMB3 when I was 9 for GBA and it was hard, then I played it in 2007 on VC and was a little hard, now I played it again on VC and saw no challenge and the levels were shorter then I remember, but NSMB2 had some challenge even if you can't get a Game Over

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I can't believe people are still buying these 2d Mario games. Nintendo is pumping them out at such rate that I'd figure most people would be tired of them by now.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

NSMB2 is worth every penny! I'm sure you would love it if you try it. Awesome leveldesign.

EvansLegends

EvansLegends said:

I can understand that they needed this to sell the 3DS XL, but I would have preferred them to pool all their ideas into one game for the Wii U, and I bet there were people holding out for the inevitable new 3DS model anyway; in fact, if NSMBU is going to push Miiverse, and multiplayer aspects, wouldn't it have made sense to put the worldwide coin total in that game?

Furealz

Furealz said:

It was just a re-hash they said. Would not sell like hot-cakes they said.