New Professor Layton Title Confirmed for 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Professor's final puzzle

During today's Nintendo Direct in Japan, it was confirmed that a new Professor Layton title will arrive on 3DS, in Japan, some time in 2013. Its title is Professor Layton Choubunmei to A no Isan, which roughly translates to Professor Layton and the Remains of an Advanced Civilisation, though we expect a snappier title when it's localised in the West.

The footage shown demonstrated the usual mix of attractive cut-scenes and puzzles, with a charming looking 3D-engine replacing the 2D characters of the DS titles. The biggest bombshell was that this will be Hershel Layton’s final adventure, though it's not certain that it means the end of the franchise as a whole. Will this title see the apprentice Luke take over from the master, or someone new? We certainly hope that we'll see more of these games beyond this release.

Those of us outside of Japan may need to wait a while, but does more Layton on 3DS get you excited?

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

I never got into the Layton Series, but it possibly ending is a big deal for some people. My friend loves them, i know she will be sad to find out about this.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Sucks that this will be Layton's last adventure :/

I should probably pick up The Last Specter and get in to the second trilogy before The Miracle Mask gets released.

Squashie

Squashie said:

Surely this can't be the last Layton game! I thought this series would last for ever! Still, the last game looks set to be the best...

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

I'd be disappointed if this was it, hoping they make some more films regardless :)

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Hells Yeah! Layton!

Oh, and it's been known for a while that this is the last Layton game...of the second trilogy.

No need to worry.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Kage_88
Sure, but we never knew that "this will be Hershel Layton’s final adventure".. It's not gonna be the same without him :(

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Interesting that they've gone for a 3D engine. I didn't see the broadcast but I'll look out for some footage.

Hopefully it retains the feel of the 2D art.

siconlol

siconlol said:

I never even played a professor Layton game but I might pick up the first few games when I get the chance :) the 3ds Layton did impress me
Does anyone have any suggestions? Whom ch is the best professor Layton game with the most content as of now?

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I was under the impression that this game would be the final adventure of the prequel trilogy, and then the focus would return to post Unwound/Lost Future. That's my sincere wish.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Maybe the newer games won't feature Layton, but will have Luke as an adult.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

no no no no :( I love layton. :'( 2 games left then......
Its understandable, running out of puzzles and ideas. But still.... D:

ueI

ueI said:

You spelled "civilization" wrong. Unless, of course, that's how it's spelled in other countries.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@ueI Either works, as both are technically correct. I will clarify with the bosses which spelling we go for though, for the record :)

Taya

Taya said:

Does this being the final adventure mean that Layton vs Wright will be released first?

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Argh, they left the ending of the 3rd game open for another game set after the first trilogy.

I don't think level 5 have the financial guts to stop making Layton games.
Perhaps the series could use a year break before they start another trilogy though.

And I seriously doubt they'd even consider really removing Layton from the games. Perhaps they're trying to set up the next game as a mystery where Layton goes missing and Luke needs to track him down or something.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I haven't played ONE of these games :P Someone that played these games want to give me a brief description on the series and what the gameplay is like, I'ld appreciate it :) Pretty interested in this series though, new game certainly sounds interesting.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

@Prof_Clayton I knew you would be sad about this. Of course, I am deeply saddened by this as well, because without Hershel Layton, it's no longer professor Layton. D:

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

Luke taking over, you say?
Hmm...
Apprentice Luke and the Baseball Predicament!
newsgrounds

Henmii

Henmii said:

I doubt this will be the last! It's highly profitable!

I don't know if I'll play it forever, though! I'll still like it, I'll buy number 5. But it might get stale someday!

By the way: What happened to the mobile phone game that stars Layton's son? Is there still any chance of that appearing on a Nintendo device? And then there also seems to be a proper Professor Layton mobile phone game. Something with a mansion and a deadly mirror. Again: Will we see it someday on a Nintendo device?

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Too bad that it is ending, but this kind of game needs an ending at some point. I can't wait to play the final two games.

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

I, being the fan of the series I am, was really looking forward to a sequel to the Unwound Future. Now, I'll just have to think about why this series had to come to an end so soon and why Level-5 doesn't want my money. :(

mudjo

mudjo said:

It's obvious that it may be Layton's last adventure with us...mbut not our last with him!

KodyWB-98

KodyWB-98 said:

I'd like to let all of you know that the series may be coming to an end, but it's been said that spinoffs can be expected.
EDIT: Sorry that the link isn't working. Copy and pasting it in the address bar should work however.