Good Lord, The Knit-tendo Entertainment System Actually Exists

Posted by Damien McFerran

We're not pulling the wool over your eyes, honest

When you consider how omnipresent the NES was in North America during the early '90s, it's hardly surprising that a wide range of money-spinning - but ultimately pointless - peripherals were pushed out onto store shelves (Power Glove, we're looking at you).

However, the king (or should that be queen?) of these devices has to be the NES Knitting machine. Previously only rumoured to be real, the existence of the knitter was recently confirmed by ex-Nintendo employee Howard Phillips, who posted an image on his Facebook page.

Phillips added that he even demoed the system for Toys R Us, which he remarked must have been "one of my least genuinely enthusiastic demos".

The mind boggles.

[via kotaku.com]

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

I have so many questions in my head right now. Most of them begin with "Why...?"

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

imagine the possibilities like patterns with Nintendo characters... knit your own merchandise!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

If Nintendo was really as clever as we think it is, it would have released a Wii version of this with Kirby's Epic Yarn. That thing would have sold, at least, dozens of units.

bofis

bofis said:

my favorite part is that I guess the knitter had to press A to continue so you'd dock the controller into it for that

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

People have too much time on their hands. I should know. I'm one of them.

RR529

RR529 said:

Oh, this is real!?

At first I thought it was some sort of fan project, lol.

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

Why did nintendo scrap this? I could have been getting enough sweaters to last a lifetime.

Syntax

Syntax said:

If it weren't for ROB, this thing would racing in a kart or smashing everyone softly with its own woven body O.o

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

My mom chrochets, I play games. Not too many people I know knit and also play games (knit and crochet are NOT the same, btw). I believe there's a reason why this device never made it past prototype stage. :p

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

@Buckbanzai: I checked out that link you gave. It's worth a look just to read one or two of the reviews that were written (presumably by the manufacturer - they surely can't be kosher). They're hilarious :DThanks for that.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

this is great news, now i can knit me some sleeveless turtlenecks for the summer

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Actually, it was a real thing at one point (at least the software was.) It was shown at a video game conference in the mid 80's but didn't take off. lol ;) Just imagine. We could all be wearing NES Sweaters! (Or our parents could have!)

Rensch

Rensch said:

If there was such a thing as September Fool's Day, I would not believe this.

Mikal

Mikal said:

Fake!
If this was real the knitter would be connected to the 2nd controller port and the NES controller would be used to access the software on the tv, plus the NES controller does not have a I/O port on it to connect to other things

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

seriously.......THIS almost came out???? Who on earth thought that this was a GOOD idea to begin with??Still.....is it real????

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Well damn... I love it when I come across strange accessories like these. Haha, fun stuff. I actually find it hilarious. :B