FIFA 13 Confirmed for Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Extensive GamePad controls detailed

As we wait for more big developers and franchises to commit to Wii U, we have one more that we can tick off the list today. FIFA 13 has been confirmed for Nintendo's upcoming console, with no solid release date but a variety of details being shared as part of the announcement in the Official Nintendo Magazine.

To get arguably the least important detail out of the way, EA producer Matt Prior — not the English cricketer, we assume — has stated that its visuals are "on a par with 360 and PS3 and we were even able to make some key graphical improvements". In terms of the controls and gameplay, it's unsurprising to hear that the title will make extensive use of the touchscreen on the GamePad, especially considering the initial experimentation that we've already seen with FIFA 12 on 3DS.

The GamePad touchscreen will be used in a variety of ways: you can tap on players when defending to man-mark or tackle, play passes, and when in range shake the controller or click the left analogue stick to aim shots with a touch. There'll also be the expected options to manage tactics and analyse statistics on the screen, but perhaps the most intriguing reveal is that free-kicks and set pieces can be targeted by lifting and moving the GamePad itself to view the pitch from the player's perspective. It'll be interesting to see how many of these features are intuitive and helpful, or whether some will feel awkward and unnecessary; we expect that most in-game actions will have standard control options too, in any case.

So, are you pleased with the news that FIFA 13 is coming to Wii U, and what do you think of the details so far?

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

edhe

edhe said:

If you can play with the Classic Controller, I'll be interested.

I'm not buying a football game where I have to shake the controller to shoot again.

I absolutely hated PES 2008. That's not to mention being forced to play with teams such as "Manchester Blue" and "North London Red". Obviously not an issue with FIFA, since they own the rights to the Premiership and Lower Leagues, etc. (although if I'm not mistaken, neither have the Japan National Team License or the J-League or K-League Licenses - at least in Europe).

Also, I'm confident that if the WiiU really is as powerful as the XBOX 360 and PS3 consoles, then EA can finally give us a FIFA game that isn't missing several significant features.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@edhe I agree, though the shake-to-shoot is optional: you can alternatively click the left analogue stick and then aim on the touchscreen. I'd prefer traditional controls myself, and I'd be surprised if all of these little touchscreen and GamePad features don't have standard button alternatives.

edhe

edhe said:

And speaking of touch controls, if they resemble Inazuma Eleven at all (as charming as it was), I might not get on with that either.

Like I hinted, FIFA's always been my favoured series (FIFA 06 satisfied my desire to play a protracted campaign with the Manager Mode, and it was more or less a solid football game) so I'd look forward to this when I buy a WiiU.

BenAV

BenAV said:

No big surprise there.
I don't mind having one FIFA game per system so I might consider it if it's good enough.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Well I for one enjoyed the PES control system, but I doubt it'd be continued on the Wii U. I too hated having to play as "Merseyside Blue" all the time though, but renaming all the teams took five minutes and was totally worth it. As for a footie game, it's absolutely compulsory for me to have at least one on home consoles, so maybe it's about time I delved into the world of FIFA...

luminalace

luminalace said:

C'mon even though it just got announced we all knew it was happening! I expect Madden to be announced next!

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

Sounds interesting, but I hope there's an option to use traditional controls instead, even if that means using the Pro controller. What I am interested in is the ability to change formations, etc. It's fiddly to do on other systems and is buried in sub-menus. I usually just take a 4-4-2 and run with it, but making it easier to do could change that.

Mason

Mason said:

If it's anything like the first Vita FIFA, don't worry — traditional controls will probably be there too. The touch controls worked quite well in that game, particularly for shooting, so I'm looking forward to seeing it on Wii U.

adm1111

adm1111 said:

in free kick and penalty kick you may use the screen also for strategies changing and so many other things.

adm1111

adm1111 said:

don't forget replays and no need to pause change the player in-out like real life

thanos316

thanos316 said:

Lets hope ea learned from their wii experiences. Traditional controls is the way.to go and no arcady crap either. Sim based or im sticking with oes no matter the man red or blue.