Dragon Quest X Storms to Number One in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

3DS and Wii sell big, too

Last week's Japanese charts brought big sales for New Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3DS, with the XL model contributing over 190,000 sales on its own. The good times keep coming for Nintendo in its homeland this week, with the latest results from Enterbrain showing strong performances in both software and hardware.

The big release in software this week was Dragon Quest X, the RPG in the famous series that includes a substantial online component. Mario's latest continued to do well, and overall eight of the top ten titles are on Nintendo systems.

[WII] 01. Dragon Quest X (Square Enix, 08.02.2012): 420,311 (NEW)
[3DS] 02. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo, 07.28.2012): 213,863 (644,048)
[NDS] 03. Pokemon Black & White 2 (Pokemon, 06.23.2012): 51,342 (2,525,465)
[3DS] 04. Demon Training (Nintendo, 07.28.2012): 29,170 (75,698)
[WII] 05. Just Dance Wii 2 (Nintendo, 07.26.2012): 28,553 (89,935)
[NDS] 06. All Kamen Rider Rider Generation 2 (Namco Bandai, 08.02.2012): 20,667 (NEW)
[3DS] 07. Taiko Drum Master Chibi Dragon and the Mysterious Orb (Bamco Nandai, 07.12.2012): 16,394 (133,261)
[PSP] 08. Digimon World Redigitize (Namco Bandai, 07.19.2012): 16,162 (119,507)
[WII] 09. Kirby 20th Anniversary Special Collection (Nintendo, 07.19.2012): 15,414 (147,134)
[PS3] 10. Persona 4 Arena (Atlus, 07.26.2012): 15,176 (132,494)

Dragon Quest X also contributed to a significant boost in Wii sales, while 3DS once again outsold every other system combined.

Nintendo 3DS: 118,786 (235,974)
Wii: 41,561 (10,549)
PlayStation 3: 14,544 (18,160)
PlayStation Portable: 11,989 (14,029)
PlayStation Vita: 8,203 (9,081)
Xbox 360: 605 (632)
PlayStation 2: 430 (439)
Nintendo DSi: 372 (496)

Nintendo's on a roll in its homeland in the past couple of weeks, which is sure to make the accountants and shareholders happy.

[via andriasang.com]

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

These are not impressive numbers for Dragon Quest in Japan, considering that IX, for example, sold more than 2 million on pre-orders alone.

moomoo

moomoo said:

Yeah, every time a Dragon Quest game is released in Japan, the productivity level of the country is cut in half. Those numbers don't indicate that. Not even 500,000?
In other news, the PSP outsells the Vita :(

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

Yes good now can we have confirmation of the Wii U version for North America please? D:

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

It's funny how the 3DS is doing okay in other countries while it does stellar in Japan, while the PS VITA is struggling in Japan while probably doing good in other countries. It's almost like some sort of equilibrium is being achieved :O

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

While Drangon Quest is selling well, the Amazon Japan reviews don't seem too delightful at 3.3 average rating (or 2.3 for the standalone copy). D:

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

How the heck can a game that looks as silly as Dragon ball's artwork sell so well? I like DQ I-V, but this is crazy.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

^Dragon Ball was for the longest time the best selling manga in Japan, and still is the most popular anime series outside of Japan. If anything, the artwork is what attracts people to it.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

And here we sit in America, waiting for an RPG to come out next week thats been out for 2 years in Japan already.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

I'm not saying I hate the artwork, I just don't know why they don't make the characters like they were in I-VI. I mean, those were great designs, and this game seems like it's trying to drift AWAY from the traditional style.

Salnax

Salnax said:

DQX is an MMO, these numbers are fine. What really interests me are the 3DS LL's and Mario's legs, plus the 30,000 jump for the Wii,

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Everything must evolve, TheDreamingHawk. There's nothing wrong with the new character designs IMO; the only reason I wouldn't play this game is because I'm not a DQ fan :3

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

@TheDreamingHawk Toriyama has been doing the art for every single Dragon Quest game since the very beginning, so the designs have only changed as much as his personal style has evolved. :)

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Mickeymac The DS Games are where I stopped liking the artstyle. Since Terry's wonderland 3D, it just seems different. And that's my opinion so trying to change it won't work.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Akira Toriyama's art is great and I personally think it suits the Dragon Quest series well. I honestly would be a bit upset if the art style for the rest of the series were to suddenly change.
Great to see another good week for Nintendo. Lame P4A is only in 10 though. Hope it goes up. And surprised to see Redigitize is still here. I want that game NAO!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I've never liked the artwork in the DQ series. Not that that's the only thing I don't like about the series.

MrArkade

MrArkade said:

I think that Vita may be the last handheld we see from sony, or at least second-last.

Koolguykai

Koolguykai said:

It's always nice to see the consoles you have going uphill. Might check out dragonquest series if it becomes convenient.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Dragon Quest X needs to come to North America too, that would be SWEET!

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

and would you look at that vita! selling like week-old hot cakes that are cold, and in a town where many people dislike hotcakes.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

The internet: serious business.

Anyway, not-so-great numbers for a DQ game. Perhaps people are waiting for the Wii U release (although that doesn't sound like Japanese behaviour.)

It's a little off-topic, but with designers like Yuji Naka and Sakaguchi making games for iOS, I'm curious how those devices (made by an American company, of all things) are doing in Japan?

EDIT: Some quick googling reveals they've got a huge market share. That's honestly impressive for an American company.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Interesting to see that the PSP outsold the Vita. Is the Vita really that bad of a portable system? Also, good to see Nintendo pushing more 3DSs including the new XL version.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

@fchinaski

1. Some people are waiting for the Wii U release
2. The DS has a larger user base than the Wii
3. It's an MMO, which does detract some fans of the series
4. Despite having less sales, the game will make the most profit of any Dragon Quest game because of the monthly membership revenue

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Its such a shame that DQX was made for Wii. If it was released 2 years ago, sure. But it's way too late in the game to be releasing it on Wii. I dont know how the whole online only part is going to go down either. Dragon Quest has always been a solo experience apart from IX which was local multiplayer. I would have much preferred a DQ8 like experience on the Wii. But such is life. I really would like some news on the WiiU version.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

@Strongo9 I think you do have a point, but I still think it's quite unimpressive for a DQ. Sure, there are almost three times more DS systems out there than Wii consoles, and I guess you're right about that. (I can't understand for the life of me why Nintendo haven't waited to make this a Wii U launch title — it seems the Wii U will be a much more online oriented machine) Also, I can say that being a MMO detracts me as a fan of the series.

Araknie

Araknie said:

@fchinaski Yeah but it's strong for the Wii. You to consider that we already know that DQX will be on Wii U, every copy on Wii it's like 10 copies on Wii U. It's a dead console after all.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I guess many Japanese fans are waiting for the Wii U version of DQX...I don't know whether those sales are impressive, or not. On one hand, it's Dragon Quest, so the figures could be seen as underwhelming. On the other hand, those are some impressive numbers for a game on the (basically dead) Wii.

Well, whichever way it's viewed, the game IS No.1, so that can only be a good thing.

dimi

dimi said:

The important in DQ10 isn't how much it will sell but if it will mangage to keep the subscribers or not. Its a MMORPG so dont compare it with DQ9 but with Final Fantasy Online.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@fchinaski Because you don't put an MMO on a launching console. I don't thing you understand just how much of an investment an MMO is. There's a reason developers go bankrupt just trying to make one...