Developers Enthusiastic About Wii U's Download Service

Posted by Mike Mason

The future's bright

Several developers have expressed displeasure at Nintendo's previous digital set ups with WiiWare and DSiWare over the years. While the services certainly had successes — Gaijin Games' BIT.TRIP series and Frontier's LostWinds, to name a couple — a number of problems with them have been cited, from lack of flexibility through to unintuitive layouts.

However, the more recent 3DS eShop looks to have addressed some of those issues, and as a result there's some enthusiasm bubbling about Wii U's digital offerings, too. Gamasutra spoke to some developers about their experiences on Nintendo's download platforms and prodded them for their thoughts on Wii U's approach to digital distribution.

Gaijin Games co-founder Alex Neuse noted that Nintendo is doing a lot of work towards getting independent developers into its digital stores. While developers still don't know exactly what Wii U's store will be like, Neuse mentioned positive rumours such as developers being granted more direct control over sales and promotions of their titles. Gaijin's Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien will be coming to the console close to launch.

"Dan Adelman at Nintendo is a champ. He's reaching out to a lot of indies."

Meanwhile, Collin van Ginkel, co-founder of Toki Tori developer Two Tribes, highlighted the importance of Nintendo's own enthusiasm for digital as a key reason that companies might get behind Wii U. Two Tribes is planning to hatch a Wii U version of Toki Tori 2 around the launch period too.

Read the rest of the article to find out more about Two Tribes', Gaijin Games' and others developers' performances on WiiWare and DSiWare.

What do you most want to see from Wii U's own eShop?

[via gamasutra.com]

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

That's nice. I'll be looking forward to some good original WiiU eShop titles.

nfzeta007

nfzeta007 said:

All Nintendo really needs is an average digital download system with NFC capability using pre-paid cards or even have credit card compatibility and the developers would come running :P, easy spending makes for more spending.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

What would I like to see? I would love it if the new Wii U store sells lots of indie games from small developers out there. Maybe even Meat Boy? Please?

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

hopefully this eshop can actually delivered on what I thought the Wii Ware system would do... which is have more cutting edge/Indie games.

There is a thread if anybody is interested to add additional comments :)

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

im hoping for something like 3ds eshop would be good for me. videos, game descriptions, demos, fully downloadable games and DLC.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Developers were enthusiastic about the eShop too.

It's still inferior to the competition. Being better than something even worse than that (WiiWare, DSiWare) is damning with faint praise.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

@MrWalkieTalkie I haven't seen you around before. Are you new? If so, Welcome :D
Now, on topic, I think I remember reading something about enthusiastic devs creating a really difficult game for wiiu... Was it called something like cloudberry kingdom? But anyway, the service sounds great, can't wait until I can see it.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@Happy_Mask
Yes I am new, but I have been hovering around this site for a while, its just recently I finally decided to make a profile to share my opinions and such :)

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'm not sure what his role is there but Mr. James Newton aught to be whispering in some ears over in Germany :P

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@LollipopChoSaw - So what? The eShop is doing exactly what it was designed to do - and that's what's important. At least it's confirmed that Nintendo are actually working at improving their online services.

If you want to arbitrarily bring up the fact that Nintendo's online services are inferior to the competition, then allow me to retort as such...

Nintendo's games are superior to the competition...so there.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I think the eShop is better than the App Store (for customers). There, I said it.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'd like to see Okami HD come to the Wii U eShop. Awesome graphics with the accuracy of drawing on the touch-screen? Heavens yes! :D Its being released in November on the PSN so I'd actually be suprised if they didn't release it on the Wii U online store.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Hmm.. Interesting indeed. I would like to see how things turnout with their new storefront. Steam integration would be nice, but I feel it may be asking to much for now.

And welcome to NL @MrWalkieTalkie. :) I used to do the exact same thing.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@MrWalkieTalkie They stand a chance. With all the 1st party games that they will develop, that will be enough for them to keep up. But yes, meat boy will be great on the wii U, (even thought the ouya will probably have it too :P)

wickhamfish

wickhamfish said:

This is great news... really really good news :)
As the developer said.. "A new powerful platform, a new controller and a Nintendo that's excited about having a digital shop on it. What else could we ask for!"
... This will certainly draw creative talent to Nintendo...
Making games is an Artwork and the second screen will really push developers imagination, set revolutionary mechanics and gaming possibilities....
I'm seeing exclusives here... that only the Wii U can do....
A whole new canvas :)
I'm really excited about the potential for those Indie developers!!
Nintendo we salute You.... about time :)

Kirk

Kirk said:

Fora a start, I want to see the digital versions of retail games be much cheaper.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

Wish we could attach an external hard drive to store all those games - I'm going to have sooo many sdxc cards