Check Out These Cool Star Fox Facts

Posted by Mike Mason

Cunning

NASA's Curiosity touched down on Mars today, which in our eyes is a perfectly good excuse to hear some interesting facts about Nintendo's premier space series, Star Fox.

Did You Know Gaming? has pulled together some facts that'll make you want to barrel roll. The YouTube clip notes the multiple cancellations that have plagued the franchise, from the near-complete but never released Star Fox 2, to more obscure announcements such as Star Fox Arcade and a Virtual Boy edition.

The video also goes into a couple of links between the Star Fox and The Legend of Zelda series, including the infamous Arwing locked away inside The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Strangest of all, however — did you know that Fox McCloud's feet were originally robotic?

[via didyouknowgaming.com]

seronja

seronja said:

yeah the guys in normal boots.com are awesome =D jontron is the best hands down hehe

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Well, we've never seen them barefoot. They could very well all still have robotic lower legs... just with boots put on over to look less jarring/perhaps help with running over rough terrain.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

Oh wow, I had never noticed the robotic legs!
(Though it should be noted that the only StarFox I have played is Adventures!)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Never knew that they were planning one for the Virtual Boy. I remember playing a game called Red Alarm on the VB that reminded me alot of Starfox.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

after watching this I had to check out those cancelled charaters and now I feel like play star fox 64 3d.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Its funny because starfox 2 is completed and was leaked on the internet. I have played it and honestly I don't really see why they didn't released it. Its awesome. There are some videos on youtube if you want to check it out.
And about starfox members having robotic legs, I remember something that they cut them off to prevent some issue when traveling at fast speeds.

edhe

edhe said:

Much better now that Arin "Egoraptor" Hanson is narrating them.

And I've known about this site for a while; I followed a link from a post in the forums, I think.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

The original not being on Wii VC is criminal, still the best one IMO... hoping that it's just Wii limitations preventing SuperFX emulation, not licensing BS like Earthbound. It's a shame they haven't resurrected SF2 on Virtual Console as well... maybe we'll see something like this happen on WiiU with extra horsepower for emulation.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Normal Boots is one of the best gaming sites! Jontron, Peanut Butter Gamer and Did You Know Gaming are some of the most entertaining videos I have ever seen :).

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Gridatttack: Its cause the game was never finished. The finished version on the internet was completed by fans not Nintendo. As for Nintendo not finishing it it was because Miyamoto wanted to shift focus from the SNES to the N64 according to developers and figured he could use the stuff from Star Fox 2 on a N64 version.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Just when Fox thought everyone forgot about being shot down in hyrule, and losing his feet while he was there due to a SSB battle. Link got to him in the 16 bit age instead :P

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@Tasuki No You're wrong.There exist many betas of the game. I have 2 of them. One has multiplayer and the story mode inst finished.
The second one is finished and doesn't have multiplayer. The only thing that has been changed by the fans is a patch, which applied to the completed beta, it translates the game to english and removes the debug messages.

GoldenBanana

GoldenBanana said:

hey, I want to take down that arwing too !!! loved those cameos in the 64´s Zeldas, didn´t know them :D

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

You would think that Nintendo would return to the game and release it to the Virtual Console or something.

And yes, I played and beat Star Fox Command. But I want the original Star Fox 2.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

I knew about most of these things, except for the virtual boy starfox, and star fox arcade... Didn't know why the arwing was there though, so this was interesting :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

Cool stuff! I didn't know about Starfox virtual boy, or Starfox arcade (presumably just a arcade version of Assault). Also the Mm easter egg and the robot-legs: Cool stuff! And now I finally know that the Arwing in Oot is real!