Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Four

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

On your marks...

Today brings us the opening ceremony of some sporty-thing in London; it starts with an O and involves lots of very athletic people doing silly things for medals. Frankly, unless any of them have unlocked all of the StreetPass Plaza achievements we refuse to be impressed, and we'll be far too busy playing video games to pay any attention. No opening ceremony with over one billion TV viewers will distract the Nintendo Life team from the best hobby in the world, absolutely not.

So once again we share our weekend gaming plans with you, including those that scandalously don't include Nintendo systems, and we hope you'll join in and tell us what video game antics you'll be getting up to. Let's get right to it.

Tom Whitehead

Marvel Pinball 3D — My unhealthy obsession with Zen Pinball 3D has probably contributed to worsening eyesight, as the tables aren't exactly easy to see on the humble 3DS screen. Once I get my sweaty palms on a 3DS XL this weekend downloading Marvel Pinball is very high on my list of priorities, right after praying that the system transfer works properly.

Kid Icarus: Uprising — Although it has serious competition this is the best looking title on 3DS, in my humble opinion; I'm keen to give up many more hours of my life re-playing it in all of its epic glory, on bigger screens.

Resident Evil Revelations — The second best looking 3DS game, which I'll be playing for exactly the same reasons as KI:U, that and because it's utterly awesome.

Mike Mason

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure — It's shiny new 3DS XL weekend, so what better way to celebrate than by continuing through this excellent musical adventure?

Kid Icarus: Uprising — The big screens will probably encourage me to make a Pit stop, too.

Pokémon Conquest — Strategy, Japanese history and battling monster pets; what could be a better combination?

Jon Wahlgren

Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure — Finally got hold of a copy and have so far made it around two chapters in. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far and hope to get some more time with it. Medal tapping has become a compulsion now.

Petit Computer — I'd like to brush up on my BASIC some more and do a text adventure, so I hope to at least get some early coding done on that.

Batman: Arkham City — I've got Dark Knight Rises IMAX tickets for Sunday and I'm sure I'll want to return to this, just like Amazing Spider-Man had me return to Ultimate Spider-Man on GameCube. Which I wrapped earlier this week before seeing the movie again.

Corbie Dillard

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy — I've had this game since it was released, but I'm just not getting around to putting it through its paces. I loved it at E3 and it's easily one of my favourite 3DS games to date. Can't wait to play more of it this weekend.

World Heroes Perfect — I'm going to be taking this Neo Geo classic for a spin this weekend in preparation for the upcoming Virtual Console review I'll be doing. It took SNK a while, but they finally got the World Heroes formula right with this last release. I think I'll even pop the MVS cart into my Neo cabinet and put some time into the real deal; strictly for comparison sake of course.

Desiree Turner

Petit Computer! I know it's not really a 'game' per se, but I'm damned and determined to blunder my way through learning SmileBASIC (with a little help from the friendly folks in our Petit Computer forum thread!)

Katy Ellis

Planet Crashers — I will be giving Renegade Kid’s latest eShop instalment a spin this weekend, travelling across the galaxies and generally customising my character for hours on end, all in the name of reviewing.

Deadly Premonition (X360): Already 60+ hours in and I still haven’t completed all of the side-quests or collected every trading card. With a truly captivating story (and shocking ending), amazing character development and one of the quirkiest soundtracks around, I would seriously recommend you play my personal Game of Every Year (since 2010).

Philip J Reed

We've been absolutely blitzed with great 3DS VC titles lately, so I'll be making some progress through Mole Mania, Tumble Pop, and of course Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. And if I need more things to play? Well, I heard some very handsome video game reviewers have left recommendations in the eshop... oh yeah, the Nintendo Life "Summer Picks" eShop shelf.

Ron DelVillano

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy — I picked it up around launch and haven't had the opportunity to spend much time with it, but I'm really looking forward to diving in a little deeper.

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure — I've been having a little trouble locating a copy locally, but I think I've tracked finally one down. With any luck, I'll get my copy and it'll be a weekend full of rhythm-based goodness.

Kirby's Pinball Land — By default, I play a LOT of Kirby's Pinball Land.

Christopher Ingram

After my visit to our second Nintendo Life eShop shelf, I walked away with the digital renditions of 3D Classics: Kid Icarus and Antipole. While I'll be devoting a good deal of time to the crazy RPG infused Arkanoid clone, WizOrb (PS Mini), I'll definitely be dodging flying eggplants and flipping gravity on my 3DS too!

Joe Walker

Pokémon White — Noticing a pattern?

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS) - The only time I get to play this is when my wife gives up our copy of the game, which sadly is not very often.

Dragon Warrior (NES) — I realized I'd never beaten a Dragon Quest game so I decided to start at the very beginning. It's an archaic grindfest but I'm still having fun!

Gaz Plant

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap — With Super Mario World now 100%ed, I'm moving onto the next game on my "to be completed" pile. Up next is Minish Cap, the only problem being that I can't remember where I got to in the game so have simply resorted to wandering around Hyrule Castle Town.

Football Manager 2012 (PC) - I promised myself I would never get addicted to the game again, but having won League 2 and the illustrious Johnstone's Paint Trophy this week, I find myself continually returning to it as I mount a title challenge on League 1. Despite all this time sunk into FM2012 though, I still can't work out why it is so addictive!

Bastion (PC) - I wish I had a real-life Narrator...

Morgan Sleeper

Running from rollerblading gendarmes on Parisian rooftops has become my baguette and butter since I picked up Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure – it's far and away my favourite game on the 3DS, and I'm definitely playing as much as I can this weekend! I'll also be putting Dot Runner: Complete Edition through its paces for a review, and playing some Densetsu no Stafi 4 and Pokémon Puzzle League with my sister.

So, that's a lot of games. The only question now is, what games are you playing this weekend?

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Wario Land and Marvel Pinball 3D, with a sprinkling of Star Fox 64 3D to taste. If things slow down a bit, I might give the ol' Mole Mania a try, though I'm still not sure it's my cup of tea. And since Steel Diver just went down to $4.99 on Amazon, I'm gonna be giving that a shot next weekend! Can you say "super-cheap Club Nintendo coins?"

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

depends on if my copy of rhythm thief that i ordered online tuesday comes in today. If it doesn't I will probably be playing Kid Icarus, Tales of the Abyss 3D, Tetris Axis and some bejeweled twist (it's my fav puzzle game).

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well with the Olympics going on I dont think I will get much gaming done this weekend but if I do I will be playing Warioland since this is my first time ever playing this game. Also if I get the chance I will be sneaking in some time on World of Warcraft. Since they released a date for Mists of Pandaria I have been getting the itch to play WoW again.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Nothing really in particular.
Probably just a bit of Kid Icarus: Uprising and whatever I feel like playing at the time.
Already finished Planet Crashers.

Yasume

Yasume said:

Inazuma Eleven, Super Mario World, maybe some Recettear and possibly a random multiplayer game. I'll also watch some Game Grumps episodes on Youtube. If anyone here likes Egoraptor or JonTron, I'd recommend checking out their Lets Plays on their new channel. It's freaking hilarious.

jer18

jer18 said:

Track and Field as pictured above on my NES!!! in honor of the Olympics of course.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

When I'm not on my trip to Pittsburg to see the Zelda Symphony this Saturday, I'll probably be playing Gears of War 3 (I know...non Nintendo game), Wario Land, and/or Mario Super Sluggers with some of my friends. ....and possibly Kid Icarus : Myths and Monsters if I don't get aggravated with it again.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Mortal Kombat on the Vita and The World Ends With You on my 3DS. I also just downloaded Kid Icarus, Mole Mania, and Wario Land.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i hope it wont rain every day, because i rather skate than play videogames right now. but i should have enough to keep me busy:
3DS:
-wario land 4 GBA (ambassador)
-PES 2012
-pushmo
-mighty switch force
-zelda link's awekening

PC:
-minecraft
-rollercoaster tycoon 2

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I have got a lot on my plate this weekend, on the 3DS Retail front is Ace Combat and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Downloadable front has got Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters, Starship Defense, and maybe Mole Mania. With a healthy dose of Gameboy Color and Atari Lynx on the side.

Pillus

Pillus said:

Super Mario Bros 3 to finally complete SM All Stars and Need for Speed Underground 2. Maybe Final Fantasy on NES but I don't know :/ The difficulty in that volcano area scared me away for quite a while now

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

X360: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - for the n-time i'm beating those games but who cares ;p

Wii: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - on Hero mode it's way better and give much more of a real challenge like the real Zelda game.

And..... I'm still waiting at my new Radiant Historia from US =_="

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

All my downloadable 3DS games (The software management part of my SD card corrupted :(), Kid Icarus Uprising and maybe Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise

KAHN

KAHN said:

im spending my weekend learning BASIC. i already made some decent starter programs. i plan on making one of those TEXT-ONLY games. i always loved those. so, im spending my weekend on BASIC, and petit computer.

noxusprime06

noxusprime06 said:

mario tennis open call of duty 4 and the grim adventures of billy and mandy fighting game cause i got a new gamecube controller :)

thanos316

thanos316 said:

i might play some 007 for the wii and some xenoblades.. yes i still haven't finished xenoblades.. but if u want some in bond look me up online. i go by the name jinx

Vann

Vann said:

Warioland, zelda link's awakening, ill try some colors 3D although its not really a game :P maybe some kid icarus multiplayer and some metal gear solid 3D.
Needless to say i deeply love my 3ds!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I finally finished off DQIX AND MGS:TTS, so I will be playing:

1. Infinite Space — this game is some of the best virtual crack I've had in a long while as I cannot stop micromanaging my ships and crew and it's getting good now at chapter 5
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns — Me and a friend of mine are ready to resume our "Play Wii multiplayer games mutiplayer" mission, so we'll be picking back up on world 3 since this is the game we left off with.
3. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia — Gamefly FINALLY stopped telling me "available" and actually SENT the game to me... I started this long ago and never got a chance to put it to rest, but that is all over now. I'm lovin' it all over again.

SaSoBe

SaSoBe said:

Just Kingdom Hearts 3D for me, I guess. I'm not really in a gaming mood at the moment. Might buy a 3DS XL this weekend, though.

Barbiegurl777

This weekend is devoted to my brand new used PS2 :D
Kingdom Hearts
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Final Fantasy X

hydeks

hydeks said:

Borderlands (ps3)Sonic Generations (ps3) determined to get ALL trophiesSonic Unleashed (ps3)Sonic the Hedgehog (ps3)Sega Genesis Collection (ps3)

Basicly I'm playing most of the Sonic games, Borderlands lvling up and Claptrap dlc, and Streets of Rage 1,2, and 3 :P

They really need to make a new Streets of Rage....

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Mainly:

3DS retail:
Super Mario 3D Land(, & hopefully it's StreetPass/Spotpass functions)
Mario Kart 7 multiplayer

3DS digital(digital, rather than VC strictly):
I broke my rule, & yesterday not only got SMB(a game I already own in a few diff(erent) formats), but also SML3:WL(I remember playing this a little bit, on one of those Gameboy big-screen converter kiosks, Nintendo used to have years ago.)

I might take the last of my eShop money for Colors3D, which is why I said "digital", as opposed to strictly playing only "3DS VC".

Wii VC:
Paper Mario(I love that game. I hate ch.4 though.)

If I get a (Wii) points card, Mega Man X2, & I'll be reading the Strider review here, later today, or I'll get Super Smash Bros, or Ocarina of Time, maybe even Mega Man to top off my digital ownership of every Nes MM title available on the VC.

As for the Olympics, I might watch any segments w/ pretty girls. :)

Edit: Hopefully, I'll also be swimming @ least once, this weekend. I love swimming as much as I do videogames.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm gonna try to finish Mario Vs. Donkey Kong (GBA), & then get back into Rogue Galaxy (PS2), one of the most awesome games ever :D I'm sure those two games will keep me occupied, especially Rogue Galaxy :D Oh yeah & there's Olympics to watch of course.

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

Super Smash bros Brawl SSE on Hard difficulty
Kid Icarus Uprising
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Just got the last trophy in Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem, so now I'm on to The World Ends With You. Since a bunch of stuff in that game requires me to stop playing at intervals, I'll probably get in some Mighty Switch Force, too. Got more time on my hands since the PitchWinPlay contest got cancelled. :(

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Wario Land: SML 3 and SNES Final Fantasy II. Love that you used that pic of Track & Field from Konami! Before I got the NES, I used to play the heck out of the Atari 2600 version with a friend of mine, around 1987! :) Ah, memories... It even came with a special blue controller we pounded death. :P

Scary_Old_Lady

Scary_Old_Lady said:

Sheesh... Who puts an olympic opening ceremony, just before the 3DS XL's release. They did it with E3, there was some jubilee thing on the same day. Stupid decisions, hmm?

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Starship Defence, I picked it up from Club Nintendo earlier in the week, it's fun,though my tower defence skills need some work. Then maybe grind enough to finish Dragon Quest VI.
Aside from that I may dive into Colors 3D (Should have a u before that r, silly U.S.) at the sale price. Though traditional sketch pad and pencil is more to my liking.
I'm also thinking a little KI:U or MK7 might grab my time online.
I'm going to hold off on Wario Land for now

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Torchlight (PC)
Terraria (PC)
Wii Sports (Wii)
Pokemon Pearl (3DS)
Tribes: Aerial Assault (PS2)

All recent games I picked up on sales, or games I've yet to complete.

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

GBA:

Pokemon LeafGreen

DS:
Aliens Infestation

3DS
Wario Land
Kid Icarus OMAM
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Marvel Pinball 3D

Millenia

Millenia said:

I finished Ys: The Oath in Felghana, so now I'm moving on to Ys Origin. Also Banjo-Kazooie, as well as Donkey Kong Country 2.

Nintenbro

Nintenbro said:

I should really be trying to finish more of Xenoblade Chronicles, but I just received a new copy of Kid Icarus: Uprising today. I'll most likely be checking that out this weekend. I may also try and play some more of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, since I just downloaded that yesterday. I also downloaded Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land yesterday, but I'm going to wait and finish Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins first before playing. Which I'll be purchasing next month for a dollar cheaper. So... Yeah, that's it.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Oh and maybe Pilotwings (and possibly Steel Diver) as both are on sale at Best Buy for $4.99 a piece but none of the locations near me have it and it's unavailable for shipping.

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

Resident Evil: Revelations, Some MK7, 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure , & Colors 3D ^__^

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

The Olympic Games always put me in the mood to play Track & Field II on the NES. Too bad it isn't available on the Virtual Console. Ah well, I still got plenty of games to play anyway. I'm going to be playing some Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy, Colors 3D, Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3,
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters and Mole Mania.

Phle

Phle said:

I'm going to a cat show on saturday, so I wont be playing anything until sunday I think. Then I'll try to finish Kingdom Hearts re:coded so I can start playing Dream Drop Disrance as soon as possible.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

After remembering it, I have to show off this beauty of a Track & Field Atari 2600 controller that I tragically have boxed up some unknown place. Best I remember, I wanted it just because it had a special (and blue) controller. Thus, I got the first of what would be countless future Konami games (sadly, the way things are with Konami these days, doubt I'll get many more).Untitled

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Might play some Super Mario 64 DS too, I just beat it and want to get the rest of the stars.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Wario land, and I've been thinking of restarting any game I own that counts your deaths and beating it without dying at all, a challenge indeed

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Super Metroid and Quake (N64). I pulled out my NES after work today and beat Wizards and Warriors. Maybe I'll try to beat a game on each major Nintendo console.

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

Well, i'm starting work, but other than that, Kid Icarus, Pokemon, minecraft, and may get an eShop card.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

Mario Kart 7
Resident Evil: The Mercenairies 3D
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Sonic Generations 3DS
Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games(3DS)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I just started my weekend with Pikmin 2 on the Nintendo Selects collection. Maybe I will play a little Pokémon Heartgold or I will unwrap Steel Diver.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I want to do something related to the olympics.
looks at Mario & Sonic At The 2008 Olympic Games Wii
OH screw you, you muscle-hurter.
Ya know what, I'm probably just gonna play Of Myths & Monsters, A little M&S London 2012 3D, and Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm on vacation so all I have is my 3DS. Wario Land : Super Mario Land 3 and Mighty Switch Force make up what I'm playing this weekend. ;)

MeWario

MeWario said:

Bit bored at the moment, waiting on NSMB2. Mostly just mucking around in Kid Icarus and Wario Land 2 (get it!)

BudrSbastig

BudrSbastig said:

I've not played any 3ds since the XL was announced, now its here i'm going to finish resident evil.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Lots and lots of Final Fantasy XII.

That game is seriously huge; I've poured 94 hours in and there's still no end in sight.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Xenoblade Chronicles, xenoblade chronicles, xenoblade chronicles.

And I played Darkside Chronicles co-op, great game.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

I've played mass amounts of Pro Evo on my Wii this week. As I'll be out travelling most of weekend though, I'll be playing Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land and the newly acquired Candle Route. It's great fun in short bursts!

Zergling

Zergling said:

just traded in my 3ds and dsi xl and pre ordered the 3ds xl. I did just purchase a gameboy micro and I am loving it so I will be playing that until August 19th when New Super Mario Bros.2 comes out.

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

Believe it or not ... Furrys...and Dr. Mario... plus a bit of good old Pinball pulse.

cakeashi

cakeashi said:

tekken 3d, ssf4 and kindom hearts ddd on my new xl(which is amazing!!) and finishing halo anniversary solo on legendary- only 2 levels to go! :)

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Really happy to see all the Rhythm Thief love from our staff, I hope you guys have given it a try! =D (Hint: it's way better than the eShop demo!)

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

I'm working on my final this weekend so... not much time for gaming.

Although, I'm hoping I'll have some time to fix my PS2, getting tired of not being able to play it.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

Skyrim mostly and then maybe Skyward Sword or Xenoblade if i have the time....

saikun

saikun said:

For 3ds: Rayman Origins (finally got it!!) and Shinobi.
For PC: Borderlands (If my girlfriend finally gets to download and install her copy)

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I've been playing my Pokemon Conquest since yesturday morning, so much fun :D

Also started Metal Gear Solid, might play some Fat Princess after my PS3 finishes downloading some demos.