New Mario Bros. 2 Footage Hops Over From Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Giant Boo and boulders

Japanese gamers are getting a double treat on 28th July, as they'll not only be able to pick up a shiny new 3DS XL but also a copy of New Super Mario Bros. 2. The rest of us need to wait until mid-August, but we can still cast our eyes over the latest trailers for the plumber's new adventure.

Although some of this footage may look familiar, it does focus on the local multiplayer co-op mode, with one shot showing a silver Luigi and golden Mario both running around at once. Some other nifty examples of level design appear, including a giant boulder underwater, what looks like a chase level with the Koopalings, and a particularly cool looking giant Boo.

Check out the trailers below and let us know what you think.

[via andriasang.com]

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I don't know why, but I haven't been interested in a mario game since Mario Galaxy 2. To me, that was like, the apex of the series. haha

I guess because when I compare NSMB2 or 3D Land to Galaxy, they just look kind of...bland :( Sorry!

HADAA

HADAA said:

@Thomas By "silver and golden mario" you mean silver Luigi and golden Mario. You can see golden Mario's slightly forward-leaning moment when he runs while the silver one is upright. And it's kind of obvious they're playing as Mario Bros.

Fabian

Fabian said:

I first tought this Game would be totaly crap with all the coins but now I´m really looking forward to playing it.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I'm looking forward to this game more and more as the release gets closer.
A lot of it will be more of the same, but that's not always a bad thing.
Plus the coin collecting thing seems like it'll actually change the game quite a bit considering you'll be focused more on collecting rather than just reaching the end of the stage.
I pre-ordered and paid for my copy this week so just gotta wait till August 18th.
No digital copy for me!

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Whoaaa, check out the Silver Luigi.

I hope the game gives you the option to play as Luigi from the very beginning, much like the original NSMB, just hold L+R when you select a gamesave.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

There's just no arguing with a new Mario game. Looks like better platforming and level art than the original. Keep the footage coming.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Luigi's coins should be silver instead of gold. Would make it more fun to compete about getting the highest amount of coins when playing per stage.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@19Robb92
It looks like the game simply counts the two player's coins together, judging from screens.

Hopefully there's competitive play that allows for two-player coin gathering contests.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@HADAA Yeah, I uploaded this on a dodgy connection earlier (video not playing well), and after a few views genuinely thought that, for some reason (maybe a special level) it was two Mario characters. Watching it yet again though and, yep, it's a Luigi. Updated the article :)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That giant Boo puts the original King Boo to shame with its creepiness. I hope there's more original enemies in this game like that.

They should show more interesting trailers like this than the last one. NSMB2 looks like more of the same, but they sure are putting some interesting things in there besides the coins.

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

This needs to be 4 player! Everyone having their own screen to look at will make it more funner.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

This is more like it!
What the heck are they drinking at 0:25, crazy Japanese people!
... just kidding, I loves the Japan :3

blueboi87

blueboi87 said:

As much as I am loving the new gameplay footage, I am more interested in that white 3DS XL console the girl is playing it on. Looks sweet!

Felix_

Felix_ said:

Ah! to buy a 3ds XL or not to buy a 3ds XL? I've only had my zelda 3ds for 8 months...

rayquaza_master

rayquaza_master said:

Hey, I think that this game may actually include online multiplayer
1. It has the nintendo network label on the case
2. It says something about having to have a wireless router for internet play on the nsmb2 official website