Mario & Sonic Win Olympic Bronze in UK Charts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Coming through the field

You'd expect a title released 38 and 25 weeks ago on Wii and 3DS, respectively, to have left the UK charts long ago, especially as it's not available on other platforms. Yet Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games has achieved just that, consistently sitting in the top ten of the all-format software chart. Thanks to the launch of the real event it seems like UK gamers can't get enough Olympics goodness, with the Nintendo-exclusive titles rising back up to a new high of third in the charts.

Elsewhere, Pokémon Conquest had a modest start by entering the charts in 17th place, but UKIE does report that Pokémon is currently the 10th biggest seller of all videogame brands in the last 15 years, which isn't to be sniffed at. 3DS XL arrived on Saturday, meanwhile, but new titles Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive! and New Art Academy both failed to reach the all-format top 40, with the latter being the only of the two to enter the 3DS chart in 9th place. The XL did prompt a boost for Mario Kart 7 which moved up to 13th place in the all-format list, while Super Mario 3D Land also jumped up to 20th.

A week of mixed news for Nintendo platforms and titles, with Mario & Sonic's athletic antics quickly becoming the sales success of the year.

[via ukie.info]

Related Games

Raiko

Raiko said:

Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 remain the 3DS' big hitters. They were always going to be the games that most benefited from the launch of the XL. However, I expect a few more 3DS games to creep into the charts next week. Kid Icarus, Mario Tennis and Theatrythm being the most likely candidates.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but I imagine Pokemon Conquest would be charting better in the US if they hadn't severely underestimated demand! I can't find copies in my local stores and it's tough to find online for $30 - most people have been selling it for $45-50.

Fortunately Amazon looks like they're getting more in, but they have a 2-3 week waiting period at the moment.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Honestly, I just played a 2 hour marathon of twelve events on Mario & Sonic Olympics with my boyfriend Saturday night. We kept track of our scores and tallied them up at the end. It was by far the best time I've had with that game yet. I think we both had a craving for the Olympics and Mario & Sonic definitely satiated it.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

No surprises as Olympic fever has hit the UK hard,just like the Womens beach Vollyball it's me hard.

GalaxyWaffles

GalaxyWaffles said:

I'm VERY impressed with Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games. It's very fun and when playing with my friends we tried to out do each other a lot and get records. It's a much better experience compared to the last Mario & Sonic