Game of the Month: June 2012 - Pokémon Conquest

Posted by James Newton

Conquers all

June wasn't a great month for game releases it must be said, but the long-awaited arrival of Pokémon Conquest netted it our Game of the Month award in June.

A blend of Japanese strategy series Nobunaga's Ambition and Nintendo's beloved pocket monsters, it straddles the middle ground between the two RPG approaches, creating something engaging and unique in the process.

As Joe Walker put it in our Pokémon Conquest review:

Pokémon Conquest is a game that no one asked for, but many will enjoy — fans of either series will be drawn in by the familiar and be taught to love what’s new. It does just about everything right, though there are shortcomings: more Pokémon being included would have helped, as would a deeper story — these are little more than nicks in the armour. Pokémon Conquest absolutely stands with Pokémon Snap and Pokémon Puzzle League as one of the best spin-offs the franchise has seen.

European Pokémon fans have to wait a few weeks to get their hands on Conquest.

Honourable mentions: Bomb Monkey and The Last Blade.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Its been a huge seller here. Most stores I go to have it on their in-store top 10 list.

BenAV

BenAV said:

My game of the month would have to be... Heroes of Ruin.
It wasn't perfect but I've got a good 45 hours of fun out of it.
Marvel Pinball is pretty fun too and Project Zero 2 might have won it for me, but I haven't actually started it yet.
I guess I'll have to play Pokemon Conquest one day if it's apparently that good.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I wonder if Project zero 2 would have been included in this feature if NL had a review up before the feature as it does look like a very good game.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

That's weird, I saw this game on the shelf today at EB (I'm Australian). I guess we just have messed up release dates...

BenAV

BenAV said:

@oiiopo Yep, listed as a New Release on the EB Games website so I guess it is out here.
I haven't been paying too much attention to it because I don't really buy DS games any more.
Will play it some day though.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Agree with @BenAV.

I would say Mutant Mudds would "mess up" the false competition, but that's been out in America for a long time so it doesn't really count.

This month was really meh and really small for Nintendo games that came out, so Heroes of Ruin wins easily, even if it's only because of its A in Effort and good bang for buck.

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

i agree pokemon spinn offs are moslty nice like mystery dungeon hopefully an sequal comes to 3ds for it :D

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

EB are notorious for putting games on the shelf that aren't supposed to be, and after you inspect said game for release date and display only stickers only to find none, you take it to the counter only to be told that they can't sell it to you, but you can pre order. Not a fan of EB at all.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@TheAdza Well in this case I think it is actually out, otherwise they've messed up their website too.
I like my local EB, but that's mainly because we have The Nintendo Experience which is a whole floor dedicated to Nintendo.
I often hang out there and they have free Wi-Fi that 3DS's automatically connect to so you can download eShop games, play online or whatever.
And it's only down the street from my Uni. :P

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

Grr, I want this game soo bad. Went to GameStop and, of course, they didn't have it D:

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

@TheAzda You must either have a bad EB or your EB must have a lot of Level 3 Members- Level 3 Members can get certain games two days early, which could be why. Mine never does it though.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I'm a level 3 member and I've never got a game two days early! D:

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Really? Well, Super Mario 3D Land is the only one I've gotten early so far... But still...

BenAV

BenAV said:

@Nibelilt Well I did get Super Mario 3D Land two days early but that's because it broke street date, nothing to do with being a level 3 EB Games member. :P
I remember there was meant to be a midnight launch for both 3D Land and Skyward Sword but then 3D Land broke the street date by two days and Skyward Sword did the next day, so I didn't bother going to the launch in the end.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Last Blade all the way. That's my game of the month. I would pick Double Dragon II for honorable mention.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Wow... A DS game as GotM? There's still life in the old dog yet. Bad news for the 3ds though? Stay tuned for next month's edition of (drumroll) Nintendolife's Game of the Month!!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

For you guys looking for the game, I've talked to several retailers and most of them only received 3-5 copies of the game, so keep looking, as I'm sure another shipment isn't far behind. ;)

Bankai

Bankai said:

James: I'm not a fan of publicly correcting good journalists, but Nobunaga's Ambition is not an RPG, which is what you suggest in your story. It's a turn-based strategy game. There's no RPG elements whatsoever.

NImH

NImH said:

Man... I really want this game, but I have been blowing money like nothing on games since last month. I guess I'll hafta wait it out.

SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk said:

is it like pokemon diamond/pearl or is it better i bought diamond the other day thinkin it was good and i was like ....wtf