Female Ace Attorney Production Hits the Stage in Japan

Posted by Katy Ellis

Take that!

Japanese theatre company Takarazuka Revue is currently readying a musical spin-off production of Capcom's Ace Attorney franchise, which will be held in January 2013. The show will be made up of an all-female cast complete with plenty of hair gel, and will be performing its second production based from a Phoenix Wright game, the first of which was back in 2009 and became a roaring success.

It will be held in the Theatre Drama City, Umeda Arts Theatre from the 9th to 17th January 2013, and will also be performed at the Nippon Seinen-kan Hall from the 23rd to 28th January for a special Tokyo performance.

The latest production of the show, dubbed 'Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney 3' will centre on Phoenix Wright's dapper rival, Miles Edgeworth, and is likely to be adapted from the Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth DS iterations. The show will be starring the Takarazuka Cosmos Troupe, who performed previous Ace Attorney shows and the script and staging will be directed by Kei Suzuki. Hiro Yumi will take the leading role, depicting her vision of Miles Edgeworth (or Reiji Mitsurugi in the Japanese version).

If you are in Japan and want to see the show, it looks like you'll have to buy tickets quickly as the last performance drew in 50,000 spectators during its run.

[via capcom.co.jp]

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Here's hoping that the popularity the series seems to be building up leads to more game releases.
Not that it matters much, as long as Capcom doesn't localize them.
AA:Investigations 2, anyone?

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@katy Takarazuka is amazing, and has a long history of really grand productions, both classical and off-beat. :)

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I've actually seen a bit of the original show on YouTube. They were quite good - at least as far as I could tell, given the language barrier and all.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Man, it's things like this that make me want Ace Attorney Investigations 2 and Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney to be localized outside of Japan. D:

Speaking of PLvsAA, has any actual work begun on it? Because I haven't heard anything about that game for a long time...

SMW

SMW said:

Just bring us the 2nd Edgeworth game! Thats all I want.

As for this, I'd be crazy enough to go if I were in Japan. I wouldn't understand any of it, though.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Should I ever get the chance to visit Japan, catching a Takarazuka show would certainly be somewhere on my checklist. Doubly-so if they happen to be running another Ace Attorney production at the time.

On a somewhat related note, if Capcom could be swell and bring AAI2 over (perhaps as a digital download/eShop title?) & confirm AA5 for 3DS already, that'd be great.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I so hate Capcom for not getting the localization needed to bring over AA:ME2 and now there's a 3?! For shame Capcom! And a musical forehead slap

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

honestly that could of been a male to me if you didnt mention her being a female given how similiar thier size between both genders are plus thier looks :P

Hokori

Hokori said:

@BlackFira when you see as many Japanese women as I do you tend to notice the differences, that's one of the reasons why I clicked the link, I didn't even realize it was for Ace Attorney until I read the article