8-Bit Summer Brings Myths and Monsters

Posted by Mike Mason

Plus tumbling and popping

We've just got word of the latest titles in Nintendo of America's Virtual Console 8-Bit Summer promotion. We hope you like monsters.

If you should log onto the 3DS eShop on Thursday you'll find Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, Pit's second ever outing. Are you up to the task of traversing the underworld, overworld and sky world? Our review might help you decide.

If that doesn't sate your ghoulish desires, Tumble Pop will also be available. You've got to clean out several worlds of beasts using nothing more than an overpowered vacuum cleaner. Check out our Tumble Pop review while you wait for the update.

Will you be picking any of these up?

Related Games

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Yeah the trailer showed what's coming in advance. Wario Land after this week!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Good stuff all around. Add a Neo Geo game in the mix and I'll be in retro heaven

Hokori

Hokori said:

I'll be getting this and petit computer this week, I've been playing WarioWare DIY a lot lately to practice on petit computer

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

After just now watching a long play video of Of Myths and Monsters on Youtube, my disappointment in Uprising and hating the insane difficulty of the original, I think I've discovered that I just don't really like the Kid Icarus franchise. I can't say I didn't try though. C'mon next week and Wario Land!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Nice I know alot of people have been waiting for this one so its nice to see it coming out finally. I am short on cash for new games now after picking up Portrait of Ruin for the DS so I think I will save what cash I have left for Warioland.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'll pass on Tumble Pop but I'm definitely getting Kid Icarus. I am really looking forward to Wario Land too. :)

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Wait...there was a kid icarus game for GB?????
Its a nice surprise. Ill download it right away.

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

You announce this like it is breaking news. You do know that this months release schedule was announced last month?

RR529

RR529 said:

I'm definately getting KI:oMaM. Of course, I have to finish the Sword of Hope II first, but I just arrived at what I believe is the main villain's lair, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

eh. Of Myths and Monsters doesn't hold an Icarus to the NES original. For me it just didn't retain the magic and feel of the original NES outing at all. I beat it a few months back on the GB, and overall i found it to be just a 'decent' experience. Why did nintendo have to ditch the 'fall to your death' platforming of the original while instead changing it to endless scroll based underworld stages that are a complete bore to navigate? The challenge just isn't there either. At least the dungeons were good fun...Those Bosses sure can eat up a lot of arrows. :p 1 trillion hits later and still counting. lol

Kid Icarus > KI: 3D Classics >>>>>>>>>>> Of Myths and Monsters

Nostalgia, the big screen, the 'NES' sound effects(3D Classics used the Famicom SFX which just arent the same like when Pit gets hit ect) and tougher challenge of the original over KI: 3D Classics gets my vote. Although the 3D effect in KI: 3D Classics was pretty neat, not to mention 'Some' of the newly added backdrops(some looked out of place...) specificly in SkyWorld were gorgeous along with the platform color changes ect.

CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba said:

This has already been confirmed for a while now. And if someone hasn't pointed it out yet, both Kid Icarus and Wario Land will costs $3.99.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I like the 8-Bit Summer event that Nintendo has been promoting. They need to promote future events like this and keep the good games rolling out.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Oh, why does the US keep getting game releases after the PAL territories now? The US is supposed to get everything before the rest of us in Europe and Oceania! Fix it, Nintendo! >:[

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

I really want to try my hand at Kid Icarus: Of Myths And Monsters. I mean, I never played the game before, and always have heard mixed thoughts about the game before. But imo, I can't wait to give this a go. Now Tumble Pop to me looks like a game that really reminds me of Ghostbusters. Hope this game isn't a disappointment. Then again, if it was made by Data East , so it can't be that bad probably.

@GamerZack

You would be surprised. Mostly at times sometimes, the US gets games DEAD LAST!! Only every now and then does North America get a game before any other region if they're lucky enough.

@CrispyGoomba

You're sorta right on that bro. But remember, the Wii came out here in North America before it debuted in Japan.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@GamerZack Suck it up and deal with it! Actually, I'm 90% sure you were joking, but maybe thats just it, our EU/AUS homies had to always wait for everything, maybe Nintendo just decided it was time for a change. Or maybe the world's business practices are changing now, who knows. And sometimes Japan waits for things too. We're finally getting Rayman GBC next week, and I'm still waiting for VVVVV. :(

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

@Tsuchinoko: Actually, I was joking. I live in Australia, and getting VC games before the US is something to which I'm still adjusting. We're even getting New Super Mario Bros. 2 before the US! Thanks, NOE! :D

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@GamerZack

You know, it's funny you mention that. Take Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 for example. You guys over in UK / Australia had gotten the game on 2/16/2012. Not too shortly after Japan got it. And now the same game all North American gamers have been waiting on FINALLY comes out 7/26/2012. Really DAM PATHETIC when you think about how the game industry slowly turns around in a different direction. And then everyone wants to know why US has been complaining all this time.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@GamerZack I figured ;)

@3DSLUIGI You know, GamerZack had it right when he thanked NoE. If a game is taking along time to come out in a certain region, its not the fault of Nintendo as a whole. NoA clearly thinks that it would benefit them for some reason to hold of in that region now for certain products.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Tsuchinoko

The way how I see it, NOA are the only idiots because they make the most idiotic decisions as to put Nintendo DL games out late when other regions had the same game in question for months. A perfect example would go to the 2 month long 3DS VC drought NOA put North American gamers through from 3/16/2012 - 5/17/2012 while other regions enjoyed games every 1 - 2 weeks. Then they want to start making up for games that probably ppl don't even care about anymore like Kirby's Block Ball or Game & Watch Gallery 2. The same thing can be said for Kirby's Dream Land 2 , and that game hasn't even saw a US release yet. TRUE! I like the idea of this whole "8-Bit Summer!" gig NOA started, but for some odd reason, I don't feel that the charm will last for long once this is over and done with. All in all, I want to say NOA is trying to get their act together on the online market, but it's something I see they struggle with QUITE A BIT! if ya ask me.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Myths and Monsters is an enormous letdown, one of the worst purchases I've made on my 3ds. I do love the original despite its difficulty, like @Waveboy said, there's a magic on that version that the gameboy couldn't come close to replicating. No wonder Pit vanished back into the wilderness for so long...

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@3DSLUIGI Which is weird, because that is the region that makes the most money I've heard.

@Chewytapeworm First off...ewww (to your screenname). haha
Also, I'm surprised. I've heard a lot of people say that the GB Kid Icarus was better. Well, at least they're all on the 3DS now I guess.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Finally get to play Myth's and Monsters. Heard it's good, not really the best thing ever, but I've been wanting to play this second Kid Icarus games for months. I honestly had sort of given up and forgotten about it for a while now after waiting for it week after week before and after Uprising came out.
And next week will FINALLY be the first Wario Land too!

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@GamerZack The US got both games last week BEFORE Europe. Additionally, Kirby's Pinball Land came to NA first. Japan doesn't even have that yet...

RogertheDumplin

RogertheDumplin said:

I have been saving up for Kid Icarus: OMAM since the 8-bit summer was announced. I can't wait to finally have all the KI games.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

@Tsuchinoko Why does everybody find my name so revolting? Gives me reason to keep it I guess :P And well, it got a good review on here and many others seem to like it, so don't make my opinion deter you! Try it and let us know what you think of it!