Sonic the Hedgehog Turns 21 Today

Posted by James Newton

Finally a grown man

SEGA's loveable blue mascot reaches another milestone today, celebrating his 21st anniversary.

On this day in 1991 SEGA unleashed Sonic the Hedgehog on North America. His speed and spectacular stunts made him an original, and players took him to their hearts. Nearly 50 games and over 80 million sales later, Sonic's still here.

Last year for the hedgehog's 20th anniversary we brought you plenty of spiky content, so be sure to read about The Sonic Games That Never Were, our Staff Memories of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic: The Nintendo Years Part One and Sonic: The Nintendo Years Part Two.

Happy birthday, you little scamp.

Light-Of-Hope

Light-Of-Hope said:

Happy 21st Birthday Sonic! Back when I was a little boy, I played my very first Sonic game, Sonic CD, in PC and I became a big fan! Then I played most of the Sonic games, including classic Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you Sonic for an inspiration.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Happy birthday Sonic. Considering you were made by Sonic Team, I assume your American, so enjoy the booze tonight!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Coinciding with SEGA's new 'Super Mega Ultra Sonic Gems Collection Plus' including games such as Sonic Labrinth, Sonic Unleashed with those pesky daytime stages released, and the original Sonic The Hedgehog, altered so it is 30% slower so it is easier for current gamers and regular Sonic replaced with Werehog Sonic. Also includes a new game called 'Charmy and Big's Adventure: Rouge's Heist - Episode One,' which will bring together your favorite Sonic characters (as voted for by Sonic Team) in one huge adventure, spanning 5 episodes and almost SIX brand new zones!

But anyway, Happy Birthday Sonic! If only Dimps would develop all your games, I would like you more! ;(

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Classic game, I still have my Megadrive hooked up to the TV and my original Cart!

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

Well just got my game gear fixed the other day so I think I'll celebrate today by playing through some of the GG Sonic's :D.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Happy birthday Sonic. Those troubled teenage years are behind you now :P

AUnkownFuture

AUnkownFuture said:

Happy birthday Sonic. I wonder if SEGA might have something special planned for all the Sonic fans out there. I`ll certainly be playing Sonic CD on my PS3. I suppose Sonic being 21 is quite special.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

sonic is to sega as mario is to nintendo - both are 2 legendary iconic video characters, yet only the latter mario has seen sustained long term profitability. if you compare the sales of all the mario titles to the sonic ones.

it will be interesting to see how nintendo handles sonic, if they were to make a sonic game. but that of which will never happen for as long as sega remain in the video game business.

if nintendo bought sega - who haven't been as good as they were during the 90s- and made them a second party, then i think a nintendo & sega partnership with regards to potential character hook ups for games would be immense.

imagine beat from jet grind radio alongside captain falcon, bayonetta and samus, sonic and mario, 1 or 2 of the shining force characters with link, ike of fire emblem.

but anyhow, my favourite sonic game is sonic colours- so much fun and it had incredible game play throughout.

happy birthday sonic! :-)

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I remember playing the original Sonic and loving the game! It became the first game I ever completed and even now if I have an hour to spare I'll still put it on and whizz through at super-sonic speed (haha)!

hydeks

hydeks said:

happy birthday sonic!!! Do us a favor and release all ur future games on nintendo though, only reason I have a ps3 is for sonic games :P

My first sonic games was the second one when I got my genesis. I absolutely miss SEGA :(

Emaan

Emaan said:

Happy 21st Sonic! I love your rival Mario more than you, but who can ignore the true blue ;) Okay I'm done ._.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

does anyone remember the sega channel? i'd get hubby off to work, the kids off to school then spend a little 'me' time playing 'sonic spinball', 'aladin' etc.

happy birthday sonic! may you forever run over those emerald hills.

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

I'm about 13, and I'm a huge Sonic fan. My parents bought me a Sonic shirt when I was a little kid. I soon found that the character on my shirt had his own games, and since then, Sonic games have always been my favorite. Also, I knew who wrote this before I clicked the link.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Wow this sounds excellent! I love playing Sonic games, especially Sonic Adventure since it is my favourite. It was surprising to know that it was 21 years now so happy birthday Sonic!

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Happy Birthday Sonic! We might have gotten off to a rough start, but your still my best friend/rival.
From Knuckles the Echidna :P

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Happy Birthday Sonic!

To celebrate, I'm going to play NOTHING but Sonic games today! ...Except Mario Galaxy...
...Yeah!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Oh hi sonic! I'm going to play with nack the weasel today, we all know he is the best thing about your world.

Nack needs to come back. Enough said.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

Happy Birthday Sonic!! Please make all your future games come to Nintendo consoles because thats the only reason I bought a 360. To celabrate I am going StreetPassing with Sonic Generations today. Sonic I love you!!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Keep Sonic running, Sega! :) I might play Sonic/2/3 today, or at least one of 'em.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Happy birthday Sonic,now make more games like Sonic 3 and i'll be forever happy with the franchise.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

Happy Birthday Sonic! Now you'll encourage guys and girls to drink while they play one of your games :P

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Hey Sonic, way to go! Look back and remember the good old times, there is no reason for you to be blue today!

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

SEGA should design a game suited for drunk-stated people.

Coincidentally I played Sonic Generations that belonged to my nephew a few days ago, and it made me a bit nostalgic.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

And to think Sonic never would have been born if Hirokazu Yasuhara came to the United States during the first Gulf War...

hendie001

hendie001 said:

sega had to come up with something to fight mario mania and this blue rat is what they came up with. i hate that every good idea nintendo come up with has to be copyed over and over. maybe they needed more blast processing to stay in the console wars haha.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I remember when me and my sisters used to play Sonic games on PC way back in years when they were teens and I was just a little kid. Probably one of the first true video games I've ever played. Thanks for the memories Sonic!

dew12333

dew12333 said:

Do everyone forget the good old days.

Down with Sonic.... Mario Forever.......

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I'm sorry, don't really want to rain on this parade, but every time I try out a Sonic game, new or old, I just can't believe this was Mario's biggest contender! It boggles my mind. Sonic may be one of Sega's best "platformers", but it can't hold a candle to Mario. The depth, the gameplay, it's just not there.

It's fun to go through the loop-de-loops though!

Not-Another-Ad

Not-Another-Ad said:

Happy late Birthday Sonic.
Don't get to drunk because on you're new game Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed,and you don't want to send out the wrong message do you?