Sabarasa's Protocol Changing Platforms from WiiWare

Posted by James Newton

To don't-know-where

Looks like Sabarasa's ambitious first-person shooter Protocol won't make it to WiiWare after all.

Sabarasa yesterday updated its site with this message:

PROTOCOL TO BE RELEASED IN A NEW TO-BE-CONFIRMED PLATFORM

For all those expecting Protocol for WiiWare, we announce that it will be released directly in a new to-be-confirmed platform.

We got our first glimpse of the game 18 months ago, so it's disappointing it still hasn't materialised on WiiWare. Here's hoping its new home is on the Wii U eShop; we'll keep you posted.

[via sabarasa.com]

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I'm thinking Wii U eShop. The "to-be-confirmed platform" just screams Wii U eShop.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Hmmm...never heard of this game.

Still, I hope it comes to light eventually. Maybe an eShop release?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Another one bites the dust. The only notable WiiWare games left that are still coming as far as we know are Retro City Rampage, Descent, Super Motherlode, a North American release of Rush Rush Rally Racers, and possibly a European release of Stonekeep.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

atleast sarabasa didn`t make the usual whiney wiiware limitations comment.
tbh, if it does come out for the wii u, i hope it`ll be one of the first games on the service.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Smart move. I like Wii and WiiWare as much as anyone, but the market just isn't there any longer to make games released on the platform successful. Here's hoping this comes out for 3DS via the eShop!

Ren

Ren said:

why should anyone bother with Wiiware anymore when you can do WiiU? Wiiware is archaic by all real world standards now. If I end up with a WiiU it'll be for at least playing my old wii stuff and WiiU ware. I really love my Wii most for WiiWare but it's no longer relavant, they put themselves into extinction with the file limit and lack of exposure. I hope it gets better on WiiU.

edcomics

edcomics said:

Nice-looking Tron game ;) Just based on the photo, this will benefit from HD. WiiWare just isn't practical anymore. Nintendo: The industry leader in last-gen tech.