Rumour: Wii U Price Reveal Coming Tomorrow

Posted by James Newton

Wallets at the ready

Nintendo has said that the Wii U release date and price announcements will come after E3, but Japanese newspaper Nikkei (via Andriasang) believes we could hear as soon as tomorrow.

The paper — which has a proven track record in getting this information right — claims the machine will sell for 30,000 Yen. That's around £249, $383 or €306.

Nikkei also claims Wii U will play host to plenty of non-gaming content, including a car navigator, digital books and a karaoke service. We're not quite sure what a car navigator means, particularly considering the GamePad needs to be near the console to function, but if it's true we'll hear more soon.

What do you make of this potential Wii U price, and do you think we'll hear a price announcement tomorrow?

[via andriasang.com]

ShadowChaos

ShadowChaos said:

no going to happen because nintendo said they will not talk about the price or released date at E3.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Why must so many rumours show up only a day before the show? Darn maybe spoilers. :P Think i'll stay away from the computer untill the show starts tomorrow.

Obvious78

Obvious78 said:

Dont beleive it till I hear it from Nintendo. They confirmed that they would not give the price away @ E3...Lets just wait and see. In the meanwhile I will enjoy Nintendos E3!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...Umm, yeah if Nintendo says no price/date this E3, no price/date this E3. :p

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Nintendo might reveal the price if they believe it's good. Them saying that they "won't" might just be to throw off the competition and surprise the audience. While $400-$600 was a crazy shocker when Sony released the PS3 I don't believe $400 would be a crazy shocker for a game system today. Heck, you can't even buy a computer that can play new PC games at max graphics and no lag today for $600. And if Nintendo is marketing the Wii U as a multipurpose device and not just a dedicated gaming system, more the reason they might sell it for higher. That's not to say I would like to pay a lot of money for it, but I wouldn't mind, if the system is amazing.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

But Nintendo just said that they won't reveal the price and date until after E3. Unless they completely flip-flopped, I'm not going to buy this rumor. Surprise me if it does turn out to be revealed sooner.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

Car navigator? What, can you use the gamepad to remote control you car from your house? Or does it come with a car plug to make the pad work as a GPS? Or are they talking about racing games?

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

The console doesn't need to be on for the tablet to function, it can function as a remote control without power from the console. That said, I doubt you'll be taking it in your car to use as some sort of GPS or even out of your living room. Small discrepancy.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

If Nintendo's statement didn't shoot down this rumor, then the "car navigator" should. The Wii U controller doesn't work outside the house away from the console. It couldn't work like a GPS.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Universe remote, control other stuff besides your TV...go for cars, airplanes, trains, coffee maker, that giant secret robot Japan is building, other peoples' computers, their electronic folding bed.

DoodleJohn

DoodleJohn said:

Nope. $300 max I'd say. Provided all those features are fake of course. Otherwise, sounds good.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I still dont believe that price knowing how much it cost them to make the thing. But i guess since it new software it makes since. I hope it doesnt go any higher than that.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I'll pay $300 or $350 depending on what I see, but with PS3 and 360 cheaper than that, it's hard to justify buying Wii U at that price, unless they show very good reasons why it is.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

300 euro is what i predicted all along and a sensible price level that wont put too many people off in these hard times.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Calling $350. $300 would be a surprise and $275 would be an even greater surprise (And the price I'm willing to pay).

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@hydeks Not really. They're old tech, so that's like saying "With the PS2 at $49.99 at gamestop it's hard to justify buying a Wii for $74.99".

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

I don't know if Nintendo would lie about something as crucial as when they announce the price for their next home console. They have stockholders and investors to think about.

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

$400 is the very , very most this console should be. I think $300 - $350 seems fair enough :)

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

I don't think they will announce the price tomorrow, but I think the price will be between 250 and 350$. If they do announce the price tomorrow, that will be a good surprise.

3DS

3DS said:

£249 is perfectly fine with me! That's what I paid for my Wii. It may have came with Wii Play and an extra controller set...but £249 is worth it!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't think they'll announce it - though I freakin' wish they would already - but I do think $299 has to be the price. I don't think it can be any less than that due to the hardware that's in it but it can't be any more than that if they want to sell any. OK, not any, but more than the 3DS or Vita.
Skywardlink you're wrong and hydeks is right. Nobody is shopping at Gamestop looking at Wiis and PS2. They are shopping at Walmart and Kmart and Target looking at Xbox360, PS3, Wii U AND Wii. No parents are buying their kids anything $350 or above w/ all the other consoles selling at $199. And if the Xbox360 w/ Kinect bundle is $299 the Wii U REALLY can't be more than that b/c the Kinect at this point has so much marketing muscle behind it and so many more games.

Oh ,and GPS? uh, no.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

I'll say 300 bucks. But Nintendo said they're not going to tell the price and realese date later this summer.

bubby444

bubby444 said:

nintendo has always had the price advantage so i don't think its going to be much more then playstation 3 and xbox 360.That's just what im thinking.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

If the Wii U is under $400, then Nintendo will most certainly get my money before the world ends. I mean it. I already have $170 saved up for the Wii U and I put $10 aside every week...not to mention my boss wants me working extra hours over summer break... So I figure that I should have $400 ready by...October?

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

I'll compromise at $369.99. But I think that is too much for it to be succesful. I always said $349 was the sweet spot, if they go over they will lose tons of sales

Rensch

Rensch said:

We'll probably get this 'individual retailers will be able to set the prices' crap again in Europe.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I'm not going to pay more than $300 for it. Usually the Yen price matches the dollar price, though given that the Yen has been strong for a while, we'll see if they continue that trend.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hmmm, 306 Euro could be possible. But I hope it's 250 at the maximum!