Reaction: Tom and James Discuss the Big 3DS Rumour

Posted by James Newton

Sizing it up

If Nikkei is right, tomorrow we'll see a 3DS console redesign as Nintendo unveils a 3DS console with a 4.5" screen, 1.5 times bigger than the current model.

Our editor James Newton and features editor Tom Whitehead — yes, they of the Nintendo Life podcast! — sat down in video form to chat about what the rumour could mean for Nintendo. Would it help 3DS towards profitability? Will it be more comfortable? What about those of us with the original machine? All this and more insightful and delightful discussion right below these words.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Meh if it's true it'll be like the LL for me as in I won't get it because it's just brighter where's the Lite and I had a purpose, which since u can just update via the Internet now, I don't see any use for small upgrades

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I think what's going on is that Nintendo knows the $160 3DS pricetag can only last so long. So they are getting an opportunity of selling people a more expensive 3DS. And if it is getting released it will coincide with NSMB2.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

If these rumors prove to be false, this will be a fun video to watch a few months/years from now. :P

Mulder1617

Mulder1617 said:

WHAT??!!!! I won't be able to afford a 3ds XL without trading in my Ambassador 3ds for store credit. Big N you've done it again!!! My wallet can't take it!! Please go easy on us peons.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

Leaving aside the main subject, I think it's time for Nintendo to release their Virtual Boy games in the 3DS eShop. I hear a couple of them were good, and people would finally be able to see them properly.

NImH

NImH said:

I was glad to hear James enunciate the farewell "happy gaming!"
The last podcast farewell sounded like, "happy gay men!" which is just redundant... if not a couple of other things, which will remain unsaid.

Mulder1617

Mulder1617 said:

Yes, I would have to agree! Bring on Virtual Boy! Wasn't there a cool game with Wario in it?

Yasume

Yasume said:

I love James' excitement in this video. You can tell that he probably won't get a minute of sleep in the upcoming 24 hours. You've got to love that English accent too.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Would LOVE it. Actually bought a DSiXL after my 3DS and love the experience that the bigger screen gives for original DS games. I think the 3D effect helps make the screens seem bigger than they are, but it only goes so far. Plus a bigger system means a bigger battery (hopefully not offset too much by bigger display power draw) and potential for CPP integration, so I say bring it on. This would give folks a choice just like the original DSi systems.

BudDudSlash

BudDudSlash said:

I think the 3D could really impress on that much of a bigger screen. Let's hope the range of vision for the effect is as good or better. Also, the system needs a less clumsy design as compared to the current model.

luminalace

luminalace said:

If it includes a 2nd circle pad, it will likely be a day 1 purchase for me but if not I won't be in any huge rush! However I will pick one up eventually...I know this and apparently Nintendo does too!

hendie001

hendie001 said:

i love my 3ds but i do wish it was bigger so im all over this. hope for two sticks too if thats not too much to ask for.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

2 Circle Pads
2 "Touch" Screens
Relocated Mic and Battery lights.
Better Battery
Vibro-Stylus
Bigger Screens

Henmii

Henmii said:

A 3DS XL? Could be possible. But if it would be WITHOUT a integrated second circle-pad, that would be stupid!

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

What? No extra circle pad? The circle pad pro is a nightmare to look at. They really screwed up. But I'm glad in a way because I have an original 3dS lol ;)

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

I'm not gonna believe this until I see it live. I mean, really, this would be a HORRIBLE time to put this console out there. They're already launching another console this year, 2 is overdoing it. Plus, with all the games being announced...
Nope. Not happening.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@Koto - *Couldn't. You're saying you could have less interest in it implying you have some interest in it.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

A bigger screen will be welcome but it's the least of the 3DS' needs-to-improve features currently. Better battery and a 2nd circle pad are at the forefront of what I want redesigned for the 3DS.