Pokémon Black & White 2 Sells 1.6m in Two Days

Posted by James Newton

Still big in Japan

Pokémon Black & White 2 landed in Japan on Saturday 23rd June and racked up an astonishing 1,618,621 sales across the country in its first weekend.

It's the fastest-selling game of the year, the first 2012 game on any platform to pass 1m sales and the third fastest-selling DS game of all time.

It's a big drop-off in sales from its predecessor, though: back in 2010 Pokémon Black and White scored 2,637,285 sales in its first weekend.

Lifetime hardware sales in Japan so far stand at 32.8m units for DS and 6.3m for 3DS.

[via andriasang.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

I didn't even realise it was out yet.
Nothing unexpected there.

tesla246

tesla246 said:

hi all new poster here :)

Actually a rather smart move of nintendo by releasing it on DS instead of 3DS, because of the large installed base and it will drive 3DS sales upwards because of the backwards-compatibility.

1.6 million units in 2 days is insane for a ''remake'' :P

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Does B&W 2 have small 3ds features when played on a 3ds. Similar to Legend of Zelda oracles of seasons and ages when it was played on a gba where you got an extra shop.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

@SilentHunter382 It has only 1 3DS feature, that is if you have the Pokémon Dream Radar which is used to get the exclusive Therian Formes of Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus which have their hidden ability.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm definitely getting this now! However, I won't be too keen on Random Matchup Online Battles... Japanese are going to annihilate me...

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

And in the Super Smash Bros. green room, Pikachu openly laughs at Samus when people pretend like Metroid is a part of Nintendo's "big three"... or it would, if Samus wasn't a fully-armored, trigger-happy, homicidal Amazon. Or at least she is when I play as her.

...I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I'll be getting the version depicted in Otaku's avatar come Australian launch. Because I have Black, and getting White 2 would be kinda stupid if I want the second chapter to make sense and junk. :|

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

And I thought when Dragon Quest VI sold 1.28 million in FOUR days in Japan was ridiculous...

Phle

Phle said:

@H_Hunter Not childish :D Kids don't understand how you really train a Pokémon. It's actually quite more to it than leveling it. Give bulbapedia.bulbagarden a visit and look up natures, EV and IV if you don't believe me.

I'm getting this game when it's coming in EU and it seems a lot of other people also is getting this game. Way to go Nintendo (^_^) Never forget how well real Pokémon games sell.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Does anybody else find this grammar incorrect:
Pokémon Black & White 2 Sells 1.6m in Two Days
and
Pokémon Black & White 2 landed in Japan

I mean, we are talking about 2 different games, correct? Black 2 and White 2. Or did Japan only get 1 version? I'm guessing the Japanese are nuts and everybody bought 2 games so sales should only really be listed as 800,000. Maybe when Madden 2013 comes out they can have Madden NFC and Madden AFC. MLB The Show NL and MLB The Show AL. The DH in MLB makes those 2 games more different than the 2 versions of B 2 and W 2.

Contrary

Contrary said:

@9 Childish! How awful. Your childish for not spelling childish right! Would a childish Pokemon make thousands of kids have seizures and go to the hospital (Porygon)? Pokemon is far from childish (excluding the cartoon and the cards).

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I'm actually quite looking forward to this because Black & White was a pretty good game (especially after the mediocre Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and god-awful Diamond/Pearl/Platinum fiascos). Black 2 & White 2 from what I've seen have a quite a bit of content in them which is good, but I'm a bit worried that the game is going to be destroyed by the horrible "story" that B&W1 started with all it's cheesy pokemon pshychology multiplied tenfold. But hopefully the game can make up for that in other areas.

SaSoBe

SaSoBe said:

Nice! Can't wait until it gets here! I wish they would give us a date already... Any rumors so far?

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Just playing it now. I am actually surprised all the new things they put in and new characters. Thought I expected all new gym leaders not just like 3 new.

Salnax

Salnax said:

I'm thinking this will sell 3 to 3.5 million in Japan total. Honestly, not releasing a 3DS version with at least added 3D effects and greater resolution is going to kill this game's legs.

mudjo

mudjo said:

I thought 1 million in one week was impressive! (Minecraft XBLA) In one weekend?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Cool. So in a couple of days or less Serebii will have the list of catchable Pokémon on each game, which should help me to decide which of the two versions to get. I have Black 1.

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

Of course it sold a lot, Black and White were amazing games. Very touching. Now, If only I could actually read Japanese, I wouldn't be having so much trouble. Anyone know where you return the Lost Xtransceiver to?