North American Nintendo Direct Round-Up (22nd June)

Posted by James Newton

Quick shots

Didn't catch the most recent Nintendo Direct show? Let us summarise everything for you.

Nintendo 3DS XL

After plenty of speculation, Nintendo revealed a bigger 3DS. The 3DS XL hits North America on 19th August for $199.99 in red or blue, and comes with a 4GB card.

3DS Virtual Console Gets Big Push in North America

Starting on 5th July Nintendo of America will release two 3DS VC games a week. This weekend you can also get Super Mario Land for $2.99.

Kingdom Hearts Demo Out Now

You can grab a short demo for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance in the eShop right now. Upcoming demos include Heroes of Ruin and Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure.

Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U Development

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U will be developed in collaboration with Namco Bandai. Team members from SoulCalibur, Tekken, Tales and more will all work alongside director Masahiro Sakurai. Namco Bandai already has a prototype running; Sakurai says it looks "pretty good".

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask will hit 3DS in November.

New Art Academy

A good title to show off the 3DS XL's big screens, a new Art Academy title is in the works for 3DS. No word on whether it's retail or eShop, or when it'll be released.

Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition

A Wii collection of six Kirby games, with new challenge levels based on Kirby's Return to Dream Land. There's an interactive series timeline to race around, and it comes with a music CD and a full colour booklet too.

Fire Emblem

Fire Emblem will reach North America in 2013. It'll feature "robust" add-on content too.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Add-on Content

New Super Mario Bros. 2 will feature add-on content available after launch to expand its Coin Rush mode. Reggie couldn't say when or how the levels will be available as they haven't been created yet, and was keen to stress NSMB2 is still a fully-featured Mario adventure whether you buy the add-on content or not.

You can watch the show again at the official Nintendo Direct page.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Holy kanoli! Sounds like sakurai's cooking up one massive games if he has that many developers! But, if there is a prototype it would have been nice to see.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I swear I'm going to start watching these. Especially with all the Letter Box updates on them. :O

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Announce this for Europe as well darn it!! I want one of those giant 3DS's!!

James

James said:

No worries! Think I might grab one myself though I wish they were blue all over instead of just the outer shell :(

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@James
Yeah, I hate that little black outline on the top. That's why I'll be waiting on the white one:
Untitled

Beautiful <3

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I though that this Nintendo Direct show was far more eventful and interesting than Nintendo's recent E3 press conference. I was completely surprised by the 3DS XL. I like the new, bigger screens and the improved the battery life. I'm not sure if I'm going to get one though. Now that I've seen more of the new 3DS XL, I think that the original 3DS design is more sleek and sexy looking. Maybe I'll just wait and see if Nintendo releases a special edition for Black Friday this year.

iphys

iphys said:

E3 might have been able to compete with this if they compressed everything into 21 minutes rather than 3 conferences full of so much fluff. I still think I'm more excited by the 3DS XL than I am about anything at E3 though.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

This DLC trend is troubling. I thought Nintendo was steering clear of that, but that must not be the case. If Nintendo releases DLC, I hope it's at least fairly priced and quality unlike some of Capcom's debacles.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I watched the show this morning just a while ago, and the 3DS XL definitely caught me off-guard. After Nintendo denied a new remodel before E3 and Miyamoto turned down commenting on it, I guess it must've been kept a big secret.

I have mixed feelings about wheter I want this or not. While bigger screens would work well with the 3D and drawing and a longer battery-life is nice, I don't have a strong desire to part with my regular one right now. And since the Wii U is coming out that will be more expensive than this, I might just wait until next year or so.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I've been busy with work this week, so I missed out on a lot of stuff. We're getting a sale here too! I totally had no idea about this. I might as well get Pullblox (引ク押ス) and Super Mario Bros.

EDIT: Oh I see. It says "Store opening First Anniversary sale, Thank you festival". I should have been expecting something like this. :)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@Nick-Clegg Agreed ;)
I was actually already going to get the game, but it will be my first Kingdom Hearts game! Off topic, I'm watching Jeremy Kyle right now, so nice pic!

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Look on the bright side, Europe, Fire Emblem will probably get released there before Western Continents, if Xenoblade is any indication...

Lyndexer

Lyndexer said:

I wonder how 3DS XL will fit into your pocket when trying to get those coins... This is confusing @~@

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I love how the 3DS XL goes out the face of the box and continues on the side.

goldgin

goldgin said:

look at that monstrocity... not interested in xl, waiting for lite (also, double the battery life, half an hour more is still not good enough nintendo!)
Fire emblem is a must now and layton looks awesome. no monster hunter... :(

spoiler: didn't anyone notice the consequences of no right thumb stick?
seriously.. we have to buy another, bigger circle pad?