Nintendo of America Appoints New Digital Strategy Executive

Posted by James Newton

Meet Duncan Orrell-Jones

To show it's serious about a digital future, Nintendo of America has created a role — senior vice president of network business — and appointed Duncan Orrell-Jones to the new position.

Orrell-Jones will lead the company's digital strategy for 3DS and Wii U in North America, reporting directly to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. Before joining Nintendo, Orrell-Jones spent nearly 20 years at the Walt Disney Company, where his responsibilities included spearheading digital opportunities for Disney-owned IP.

Orrell-Jones takes up the role on 1st July. Here's hoping that date signals the start of a big improvement in Nintendo's online strategy.

Nintendo of America Hires New Senior VP of Network Business

Duncan Orrell-Jones to Lead Nintendo’s Online Efforts

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America announces the hiring of a new senior vice president of Network Business. Effective July 1, Duncan Orrell-Jones will take on the newly created position and spearhead the development and evolution of Nintendo of America’s digital strategy for the company’s Nintendo 3DS and Wii U video game systems. Orrell-Jones will work at Nintendo’s headquarters in Redmond, Wash., and report to Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime.

“Duncan Orrell-Jones brings knowledge and hands-on experience to Nintendo that will help us develop and implement long-term digital initiatives for our systems,” Fils-Aime said. “By creating this new position we’re demonstrating our commitment to the expansion of our online business, and Duncan is the perfect person for the job.”

Orrell-Jones comes to Nintendo from The Walt Disney Company, where he has worked since 1993, most recently as senior vice president in the Disney Interactive Media Group. In that role, he was responsible for identifying opportunities to expand Disney’s games business outside North America across a variety of platforms. Prior to that he also served as the senior vice president and general manager for the Disney Interactive Media Group in Tokyo, where he led a 140-person team to drive the company’s digital properties on various platforms.

Orrell-Jones holds a bachelor’s degree in physics from UCLA and an MBA from Emory University’s Goizueta Business School.

James

James said:

He's the guy you need to suck up to if you want more VC games, yes :)

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

More VC! More Sales! Online accounts and achievements that tie our digital library together and keep us coming back and feeling at home! Make it so Duncan!

SMW

SMW said:

Sounds like the perfect fit to me. Duncan needs a Mii now.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

So, he is the person we send angry emails to if were not satisfied with the eshop? Ok. :3

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

Duncan Orrell-Jones, congratulations on you employment at Nintendo of America. Get ready to regret your decision. (boots up e-mail)

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

Any of you guys remember Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II for NES?? I would love to see that in the VC.

Xilef

Xilef said:

He just joined Nintendo and he is already being bombarded with emails. Welcome to the Nintendo comunity! :D Lol, just kidding. Good luck with your work, Duncan. ^^

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

All right, a Disney guy! I always thought Nintendo and Disney would be great partners. Good luck to him.

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

What do you people like Disney Execs? Disney has a horrible track record in the gaming scene. They can't even commit to their home video market either. Do you know how many incomplete Disney DVD collections there are? I'm still waiting for volume 3 of Talespin and Chip & Dale since 2007.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

As others have said, if the eShop sales and the surge of VC games were his doing, then hes off to an incredible start!! :D

byrdman

byrdman said:

In all seriousness, I think one of the most important things is that bachelor's in physics he earned from UCLA. this man is a problem solver through and through. sounds like a good choice

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Best of Wishes to you. Now talk to Sega about bringing Sonic 4 to 3DSware, even if its only 2D :P

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Here's hoping for Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast VC for the Wii-U.

Let's get everything on there! :D

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

@James I know. I just meant if he sees that those continuous VC releases and sales are what we want and plans stuff out with that in mind I think he'll be great.
Just hoping though.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Dude has a physics degree. Clearly not using it.

Going with someone from Disney makes sense. Hope he knows how to expand online.

Rocketship

Rocketship said:

Hmmm, if someone with a bachelors degree in physics can get a job this high up maybe when I get my masters I can be supreme overlord of Nintendo.

Onett

Onett said:

Hey, Duncan Orrell-Jones. You need to announce GameCube eShop downloads for the Wii U .. !

@warnerdan

Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures and Mario Kart: Double-Dash!! on the Wii U? YES PLEASE.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I feel like ranting a bit now. >:I
I know it's not possible to take into account every individual circumstances of every country, but man, does it suck that we in Finland have no extra online services apart from Nintendo's own channels and online gameplay. We obviously won't have BBC iPlayer, but we don't have Netflix either. All 3DS has is Eurosport application, but meh, I want variety. I fear that it will be the same with Wii U. No Amazon, no Netflix. Atleast there will be YouTube, but I want mah streaming movies dummit!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I guess I'd have to see what digital "things" from Disney this guy handled to get an idea of how he'll be at Nintendo, so I'll reserve judgement until another time.