Mole Mania Digging Its Way to 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Another outing

The 3DS Virtual Console already has a good amount of great Nintendo games, but there's plenty more where that came from, as the Australia's ratings board has rated yet another classic Game Boy game which should be making its way to the service soon

Mole Mania is an often forgotten Shigeru Miyamoto game, in which you play as Muddy the Mole, who is trying to save his kidnapped children and wife from the evil farmer Jinbe.

It's mostly a puzzle game, in which the goal in every single room is to get a big black steel ball to a block blocking access to the next room. Naturally, the fact you're a mole also plays a big part, as you can dig underground to move past certain obstacles, as well as create holes.

The game's pretty good, so we're glad to see it's coming to the eShop. Who's planning on downloading it upon release?

[via classification.gov.au]

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I know there was a NL user that was really wanting this game. I know he'll be happy about this.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

The gameplay videos on YouTube make this look like a fun and charming little game. I'll probably get it when it comes.

marc_max

marc_max said:

I completed it some weeks ago!
I have to admit that the first stages are very boring. But then the game gets better at every stage!
It's one of these overlooked GB gems. It can offer up to 10 hours of puzzles. Very recommended!

Tonnie_gAmEr25

Tonnie_gAmEr25 said:

I LOVED this game, deff spent more tha. n 4hrs a day playing this. I will be purchasing this one when it comes!

Froggievilleus

Froggievilleus said:

This game is the only time I threw a controller. It's a fun puzzle game but I got stuck on a particular puzzle for a long time then my dad happened to walk by my room and say hi and I snapped. Learned not to do that again and I did eventually beat the puzzle. Instant download day 1. :)

sc100

sc100 said:

Whoa, Miyamoto game. Those are always worth consideration. I'll be looking forward to the review.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Looks good. I hope it comes to NA. Still eagerly awaiting Trip world and Toki Tori, though.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Good to know this game will be coming! :D
Its quite fun - and I might download it when it comes :3

ejamer

ejamer said:

Played through this game last year on an old-school Game Boy, and had a blast. The game has a ton of charm and the challenge ramps up nicely over the course of the game. Would definitely recommend it for any puzzle fans.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I've been wanting to play this game for a while, mainly since it was a game made by Miyamoto that became a hidden gem. I knew it would be on the 3DS VC at some point. Hope it comes to NA soon!

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Being from Miyamoto, yes, I will download it...anyone think this is a sign of a series reboot? ...maybe....ok probably not. :p

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Might this play anything at all like those underground 'mole mitts' puzzles in Skyward Sword? Just reading the description makes it sound similar.

Birdman

Birdman said:

It's been on my waiting list ever since Nintendo Power did a feature on it several years ago. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Tsuchinoko: There were more than one of us, yeah. This game is definitely a cult classic, and an opportunity for more people to play it can only be a good thing. :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

I never played this before, so I might download it. I didn't know it was made by Miyamoto, though.

There was some Molemania influenced gameplay in Skyward sword, wich was very cool!