First Impressions: Project P-100

Posted by Mike Mason

Crowd sourcing

Tucked away at E3, shielded from the glare of the main presentation for reasons unknown, was Project P-100. It's an all-new superhero action IP by well-lauded developer Platinum Games, due to be published by Nintendo in Wii U's launch window. It's also bonkers.

One Mr Hideki Kamiya is at the helm as director, famous for a track record that includes Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, Okami and Bayonetta — plus for his apparent desire to make a new Star Fox game at gunpoint. It's the first game in that impeccable list that P-100 takes the most from, with a bit of Pikmin sprinkled in for seasoning. The world is being attacked by gigantic mechanoids, and with a haphazard array of have-a-go heroes it's up to you to defend it.

P-100's style is appealing, but not particularly extravagant. It's presented in isometric viewpoint, with people that share the body characteristics of Viewtiful Joe, pin-legged and stern-faced — except when they're reduced to wide-eyed, arm-flailing panic. It seems to be inspired by action figures more than anything else, an over-the-top fantasy toy box where anything can happen.

The mass-action hero game starts you off with a few troops; ordinary citizens who've come together out of desperation, wearing anything to hand as makeshift superhero costumes. Sadly for one guy the closest thing was apparently a toilet, but he wears the porcelain with pride. Your group can be expanded whenever you meet fleeing citizens – draw a circle around them on the touch screen and they'll join your merry brigade of misfits.

People power's what it's all about: the more help you have, the better use you can make of Unite attacks, which let you pull your followers into formations to solve puzzles and, primarily, smash up dozens of robots. Once you draw a shape on the touch screen – or flick the right analogue stick in the corresponding direction – and press a button to confirm the selection, your weird bunch can work together to form oversized weapons and tools.

Drag out a vertical line from bottom to top and they'll stand on top of each other to act as a humongous sword to swipe at enemies; sketch the vague shape of a gun, a half square pointing right, and a green pistol the size of a building is yours to wield. The circle is used to ball everybody up into a big red fist, which can be used to punch enemies or turn switches to open new paths.

With all this at your disposal you'd think there'd be no problems fighting off an invasion, but you're restricted by a battery meter that drains whenever these powerful moves are used, which ties in with the toy world feeling. Instead you've got to mix in more normal attacks, commanding your team to punch and kick enemies with their own little bodies, to keep the energy charged up. There's also emphasis on well-timed dodging and swift blocks — by morphing into a jelly for a few seconds, naturally — to keep the pace flowing. The combat overall is quite simple, but pleasingly so. It's probably a good job, with tons going on very quickly.

In the demo we trotted around town battling against the numerous threats, from smaller robots to tanks that were ten times our size, before eventually facing up against a boss whose arm filled the entire screen. The aim was to dodge its lasers and punch at glowing nodes until we could eventually build a bridge of people over to other parts of its body to continue the assault.

The level shown in the demo was pretty linear, with few ways to step off the main path; we hope it's slightly more open in the end. There was an optional opportunity to duck inside a building at once point, however, by using the hand to open a garage door. Once inside the action switched down to the GamePad screen, flipping the viewpoint from isometric into over-the-shoulder third person, while the television screen remained focused on the outside world. The aim was to change a number on the outside of the building; you had to adjust some interior valves on the GamePad screen while keeping an eye on the television to make sure that it was working. It's a rather inventive use of the GamePad – we'd like to see more of this.

There's always a lot going on in P-100; pure chaos, in fact, to the point where it's actually quite difficult to take everything in. It's undoubtedly fun, with satisfying combat mechanics and a massive infusion of invention, but it was only midway through the ten minutes or so demo that things started to click and a better sense of when to use each formation developed. We wish we'd been able to play more to gain a more coherent viewpoint, though judging by the insanity at play narrative coherency might be the last thing to be found here. If Platinum Games is let loose, P-100 could be a real ace up Nintendo's sleeve during Wii U's early months.

PeterW77

PeterW77 said:

Sounds interesting but I wonder how many unfair comparisons to Pikmin it'll have to take though?

Mahary

Mahary said:

Wow Looking Forword To this :D Gonna be my First Game If it came launch. :3

MeWario

MeWario said:

This looks wicked, I'm hoping you guys just need to spend a bit more time with it to truely enjoy it

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

This is the hilarity and inventiveness i miss in a lot of retail games these days.
If it's only half as good as i imagine it will most likely be my game of the year. In whichever year i get the WiiU.
Please give it a good demo and make sure everyone out there knows about this game.

gameruk

gameruk said:

it looks great definitely getting dont really seem a copy of pikmin jus couple of similar points army corpes of hell a real pikmin copy on my vita hate it

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

It looks fun and definitely new but with all the other games I'd prefer out I think I'd give it a miss, definitely to begin with. Pikmin is still my #1 reason for getting the WiiU!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I have had my eye on this but the gaming journos on twitter have pretty much said the same as you. Potential there. Need much more time with it. Chaotic and confusing.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My 2nd most wanted game after Pikmin 3. And I don't even see why people say this looks like Pikmin. OK, maybe it's somewhat of a similar vein of strategy game but Pikmin is first and foremost puzzle solving and this is all about the action and fighting. And it's a lot more cartoony and colorful. If anything it looks a lot like this PS3/vita game When Vikings Attack. Though this looks more solo and that multi.

This really has the look of a DL title so I'm wondering if that's why N left it out of the presentation as they want to square away how DL is going to work as far as cost and storage. Can't DL a 1GB game onto 512mg.

Alucard

Alucard said:

This is probably my most anticipated Wii U game behind ZombiU. Rayman Legends and Pikmin 3 seem good too, but these other two games are looking pretty fresh.

This game is also a good argument for a higher powered system without having to relate it back to the graphics - all of the onscreen action and environmental destruction alone would be enough to make the Wii have a fit.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I thought this was easily one of the more promising WiiU games at E3, so it seemed almost fitting that Nintendo didn't talk about it at all during their press conference.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

A very interesting title. Reminds me a lot of Viewtiful Joe.. Could be a lot of fun and Platinum Games is a great developer. I'm keeping my eyes on it.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I have a history of buying Games from these guys so this may be need to be added to my launch buy list.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Right, so these super heroes are pretty Non-Specific, and they seem to be based off Action Figures. Hmmm...

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

Sounds good in theory. The differentness alone makes this worth watching. Gaming desperately needs more different.

Henmii

Henmii said:

This could be a sleeper hit! And it's from the maker of Viewtiful Joe and Okami? Sounds good!

By the way: If it's good I hope it will sell! Because if Retro wouldn't do a Starfox, then maybe Kamiya can do it!

player310

player310 said:

Always good to see a game from Nintendo that looks like fun and isn't a first person shooter like what currently dominates the market now (and how Miyamoto san feels) I will definitely pick this one up.

BenAV

BenAV said:

This game looks pretty awesome from what I've seen.
I look forward to it.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Looks better than Pikmin. Although I don't see why you would compare the two

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Honestly, of all the games shown so far, this one impressed me the most.
It just looks like alot of fun, and many other games looked great too, but this is the one I am most looking forward to.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

I thought this game looked awesome, and they should have at least mentioned it during the conference.

accc

accc said:

This is the type of game that NEEDS to do well, to prevent the industry from being overrun by creatively bankrupt FPS games and 99 cent iphone shovelware.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting this. Many feel Nintendo missed an open goal by not giving it more time in their presentation.

JIMBOISAJIMBO

JIMBOISAJIMBO said:

Looks great, I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't be publishing this if it was too similar to Pikmin. More like this please Nintendo.