E3 2012: Pikmin 3 Wii U Trailer is Plucky

Posted by James Newton

But one-player only

We finally saw Pikmin 3 today, and now you can relive that moment below.

Shigeru Miyamoto's garden simulator comes to HD for the first time with four new leaders, but sadly it's only a single-player experience, a missed opportunity considering the potential for co-operative play.

The Return of an Army
Pikmin 3 is a fully reimagined, mass-action strategy title from the critically acclaimed Pikmin series. Players will discover a beautiful world filled with strange creatures and take command of a swarm of ant-like Pikmin trying to survive. The world is densely packed with treasures and enemies, which makes the game much more action focused and fills it with layers of potential strategies and paths, adding greater replayability to challenge modes.

Features:

Players can play using Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk-based controls or the Wii U GamePad controller. With new intuitive controls that make it possible to aim at objects directly, players can command their tiny, yet powerful, squads in different ways.

The GamePad acts as an overhead map and radar to track Pikmin movements in real time. Players can slide a finger across the touch screen to quickly switch between areas, giving greater flexibility in commanding multiple groups of Pikmin.

The greater processing and HD capabilities of the Wii U console are put to extensive use, resulting in a more intricately designed world, enhanced ant-like movement of the Pikmin and precisely detailed overhead views for enabling easier strategic use of the Pikmin.

After completing a stage, the replay feature allows players the option to review their results using the GamePad and TV. Fast-forward, rewind or pause while assessing the previous mission to decide on other paths.

In addition to the five original types of Pikmin encountered in previous games, the new Rock Pikmin bring powerful new abilities and are able to crack hard outer shells of enemies and break through solid barriers.

Mission Mode challenges players to earn the most treasure in a given time.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Exciting! Need too complete Pikmin 2 first though. Shame about there not being any co-op, but i can live with it. :)

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Olimar isn't "gone." Miyamoto said it was a secret as to why he wasn't there. Maybe you have to rescue Olimar.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

So beautiful, and it was the most impressive looking Wii U Nintendo game shown too. I wonder what the deal is with those flying pink Pikmin?

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Enough reason to buy a Wii U, right here. But did they flat-out say that there was absolutely no multiplayer? I didn't quite glean that. :(

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

The quick snippet of that wierd Dragon fly bug flying off into the distance blew me away. It's pretty incredible to finally see a Nintendo game boasting PS3 + visuals, true widescreen and in HD. :D Another Launch buy!

Probably the best 'graphical' nintendo showcase. Just look at how the leaves realisticly flow in the background and the movements of the characters themsevels, great stuff! And I'm watching it in 240p. :p

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I bet the story of the game is having to save Olimar, and once you do he will be unlocked, so don't worry about him. As for no multi-player, it sucks, but it still looks like a fun game.

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

When did they say no multiplayer? I only ask because a few of the shots i noticed two of the heros on screen at a time such as 1:08 in the video.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I hope Rock Pikmin aren't the only new Pikmin species. They just seem like purple Pikmin from the second one in terms of abilities.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I'm so happy that Pikmin 3 is finally a thing. The wait just to see this game has felt like ages.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Multiplayer was probably considered for a long while, but the touchscreen mechanics of the "Upad" probably eliminated any plans of a tightly balanced cooperative control scheme.

Lan

Lan said:

It looks so rough too. The final product will look even better

rjejr

rjejr said:

"Still, after years of waiting, at least we have a new Pikmin to look forward to before the year's out."

So, before year's out? Kind of important b/c it would be the only reason for me to buy a WiiU right now. Though if Pikmin 2 had co-op multiplayer why not this one? Well I guess the sequel w/ 2 screen support is something to look forward to in a couple of years.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Tried to set my avatar as the rock pikmin but it won't change it for some reason. Says it did when i click save, but it doesn't. Oh well.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@rjejr
Not looking forward to NSMB Wii U? I'm guessing the generic 'all too familar' NSMB Asthetics, style and lack of creativity(aside from the new gorgeous backdrops) is the turn off. :p

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Nice article title. I would also have accepted Pikmin 3 trailer is plucking awesome.

Anyway, calling it now, the 4 people you play as are Olimars family and he's gone missing.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

My brother's guess why Olimar wasn't there was because the 4 people in it are his children and it's about them, and what they do after Olimar "Gives" them the planet.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

One player only?! But there are four captains! It has so much potential for online multiplayer!!!

TheChosen

TheChosen said:

Are you absolutely sure its a single-player game? They showed some stuff what looks to me like multiplayer and concept art of four characters, in which case one holding the WiiU pad play as Olimar.

BenAV

BenAV said:

FINALLY!
This alone would be enough for me to buy a Wii U, but luckily the system itself is going to be awesome anyway.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

No multiplayer? YOU FOOLS! Seriously, this has so much potential for multiplayer... but I will get the game regardless, this is my launch title. Those environments are breathtaking.

Nintendo, I have one thing to say to you and one thing only: SHUT UP AND TAKING MY FREAKING MONEY!!!

mamp

mamp said:

OMG I WANT IT!!! I wonder if they'll have more than just rock type Pikmin.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

this look s great pikmin rocks this is what we want. i would love another wave race or cobra triangle that would be cool.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Nintendo's E3 site is listing Pikmin 3's number of players as "1", which doesn't exactly bode well for the return of Pikmin 2's secretly great multiplayer, but I still wouldn't completely rule it out yet. We're still a long ways away from its release and the Big N did make a point of saying today that the WiiU will be able to support two gamepads and that there will be multiple ways of controlling Pikmin 3.

Buuuut I'm probably just reaching.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

That looks really nice. Only game I can see buying at launch so far, though Mass Effect 3 is a definite possibility (assuming that's a launch title as well).

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Olimar had a son and a daughter hint hint of the playble 4 character's there's a boy that strongly looks similar to olimar and a pink haired girl :D I think pikmin 3 we play as their children saving olimar.

Emaan

Emaan said:

This game is gorgeous! Gosh, Nintendo, why must you make such beautiful games? My favorite game shown at this E3, without question! This looks amazing! :D

SMW

SMW said:

Its got to be co-op. The co-op in Pikmin 2 was so fun, not mention it would not make much sense having 4 captains but only one player.

SonyFACE

SonyFACE said:

Since few other real Wii U games have been announced, I might actually get this one.

Adam

Adam said:

Man, Pikmin 2's multiplayer was so great. I know I was one of a few who actually played it, but I played the heck out of it with my college roommate. Head-to-head was particularly fun... surprisingly.

Really weird of them to eliminate it when the U-pad would make it even easier. Maybe split-screen is hard to do at that graphical level. Or maybe they are rushing the game to completion. A bad sign if so, given the lack of anything else too interesting.

Hokori

Hokori said:

The pink flying pikmin reminds me of that beetle item in SS maybe it'll work like that

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I still can't believe the game has finally been revealed!

Jeez, it looks pretty...so getting it!

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Like many others have said, it has to be (at least two out of the four) Olimar's kids along with a couple of friends.

chronicler

chronicler said:

I may be wrong in saying this, but take a look at the first two seconds of the trailer. There seems to be a pink-ish pikmin flying around in the top left corner, but it is out of focus. Then in the actual E3 presentation, a winged pink pikmin-looking creature (complete with blooming flower at the end of an antenna) fly across the screen. Can anybody with more familiarity with the pikmin universe confirm this as a possible addition, along with rock pikmin?

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

To everyone noting the pink Pikmin:

Yes, there clearly is what looks like a flying pink Pikmin-esque creature in the trailer. I would say it is a possible addition. They could just be background creatures, completely unrelated, or even enemies, though I doubt that. Just because they only announced rock Pikmin doesn't mean there are no other new types, they may just be holding off on mentioning them. They may even be secret (hard-to-get) Pikmin types, as Pikmin 2 had small Bulborb enemies mimicking Pikmin, which you could get onto your side, despite not being revealed ahead of time (as far as I know, though to be fair they are not Pikmin so of course they wouldn't be counted in the 5 types). I'm hoping they have those flying Pikmin, but only time will tell.

C7_

C7_ said:

I think they're still working on what the pink pikmin do and that's why they didn't show them.

The game is based entirely on the ground, and yellow pikmin already had the ability to go higher, and with the new play controls you could throw almost anywhere on screen, so if Pink pikmin were actually lighter than yellow it would make them virtually obsolete. Obstacles that requires them to fly would definitely be very complex as well, so it could just be they left out the pink pikmin to make the E3 Demo simpler to show off how easy it is to control with the gamepad.

Fun Fact, Bulbmin are actually parasitic Pikmin (if they had a color, it would probably be green or orange) that took over a bulborb host and could very well have an onion. I doubt they'll do that though, but that'd be a neat possibility.

Pawtrick

Pawtrick said:

It makes completely no sense to me why this game is single player when there are clearly 4 main characters that they have shown. It makes me quite a bit worried about the Wii U's online capabilities. You and 3 of your friends clearing levels simultaneously online would be great fun. A big missed opportunity.

Hamtaro

Hamtaro said:

AAAh! I love this game! I have the 1st game I used to have the second but the third is a MUST :P