E3 2012: New Super Mario Bros. U Media Blowout

Posted by Darren Calvert

Screenshots and video, we got it!

Those already familar with New Super Mario Bros. Wii will know exactly what to expect from the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. U for Wii U.

Aside from the usual multiplayer mayhem Mario and his friends will enjoy a spot of flying squirrel suit gliding and messing about with Baby Yoshis, and all in glorious 1080p.

Check out the screenshots in our gallery below and the official trailer here:

As always, do let us know your thoughts below.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Looks great! Only complaint is once again being stuck with the two generic toads for multiplayer but I guess that's just how the NSMB world works.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

this looks kick butt too bad nothing else looks good. im so sad reggie ruined e3. they should fire his butt anyone with me. sorry guess im being a little harsh but i had so much hope for this years e3 presentation.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Backgrounds look gorgeous :D Miles more imaginitive, creative and diverse than the barren empty 'samo' backdrops of NSMB Wii.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

This has made Wii U a definite day 1 buy for me. Graphics are beautiful, Squirrel Mario, Baby Yoshis, and so much Mario goodness. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I'm excited as can be for this and NSMB 2! The scenes with the circling ghosts and giant bouncy stars were GORGEOUS!!!

Squirrel Mario is great and adorable, but I still want a Pony Mario power up one day though! :D Untitled

@Grumblebuzzz
Not sure if this'll make it better or worse, but you will have the option of using your Miis too.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Would have liked to see more of a sequel to SMB2 from the NES or a reboot of that game like the NSMB series but I will still give it a try.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

The backgrounds look beautiful, especially the spooky hand-drawn one in the boo level and the rock formations in the baby yoshi one. I love that a world like Giant Land has returned and that the design has drastically improved. This and NSMB2 have me pumped.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@TasukiA sequal to SMB2 would of been amazing instead of this predictable playing it safe fluff that we're getting...BUT I'm still very excited for it, but deep down i know Nintendo got a bit lazy. They could at least switch up the character design instead of the same looking 3D plastic characters that we've gotten so far in the NSMB franchise. At least the backdrops look gorgeous hehe.

@Handie001Ya, i wasn't crazy over Reggie at all during this E3....His hammy artifical & lame interaction with a couple of those developers on stage was akward and cringe worthy. lol It was great to see Miyamato during the Pikmin intro, and to show off Pikmin 3. But he left and was never to be seen again....And even though i don't like Iwata, i was hoping he would of popped up on stage to unviel a new Smash bros game, just something. but knowing him, he's just into charts and graphs. :p

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

I loved Miyomoto's excuse that the SD graphics prevented Pikmin from having the desired camera zoom out that he desired. Similarly, it's nice to see Super Mario Bros played from a far out view, because graphically it finally can be!

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@FanaticGamer43 Haven't seen any haters here's but ook!

Spike TV pissed me off when they said there was nothing new in the game, when clearly there is new stuff added.

ATDI

ATDI said:

Can I get some 1080p screenshots NOW please? This is so desktop background worthy.

Did Van Gogh design the background for the ghost level? Impressionism in a Mario game? Oh, you so classy, Nintendo. lol

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Haha, this'll be day one buy for me. This game looks amazing. I think it's pretty obvious which of the 2 NSMB titles got more attention and care. :P

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

circa 2009 Ah, yes, I remember the days when 4 people wanted to play Mario Bros. at the same time... and now we can!

circa 2012 Ah, yes, I remember the days when 5 people wanted to play Mario Bros. at the same time... and now we can!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It really looks amazing, although that is to be expected of a powerful, HD system.

The asymmetric aspect where another player can create obstacles can really breath a lot of new life to these levels.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I think the idea of having the player with the controller "Draw" blocks is a kinda cool idea :D it could kinda break the game though, like if it's unbalanced like if half the levels have no blocks and the player has to draw them all, or the jumps are impossible to do in singleplayer, etc.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

i have calmed down now but reggie has no clue what i want did anyone see his interview on spike they asked him about all the negative posts on twitter and online but he just blew it off like it did not happen @#$%^ man wake up your running my favorite company into the #@%$# ground. they could have at least talked about the specs and how smash bros and zelda are coming along. the company is on the line and he wants to talk about family and bubble gum and hearts and kisses @#$%$# i defend this company till the end but this is too far so sad :<

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@SkywardLink98
Here's a portion of an interview IGN had with one of NSMBU's makers, Takashi Tezuka...

IGN: When bringing Mario to Wii U, what does HD give you that you couldn't achieve with Wii or previous consoles?

Tezuka: Well, it's something we actually talked about last year. I think it's the introduction of the Mii characters into the Mario universe. Traditionally you use Mario characters, and you haven't been able to use Mii characters. One thing we have noticed in multiplayer titles is that sometimes people have a hard time telling which character they're playing. I think with the introduction of Mii characters, we've solved that issue. You're able to easily identify who you are, and because it's your Mii. Some of the emotions that we try to evoke when we're making a game come across more easily because it's your Mii character in the game.

I really think the HD has made it possible to, again, make those Mii characters so easily recognizable. You're easily able to identify with that character on the screen. And of course, if you look at the game as a total package, the increase in the graphical fidelity, the power that we have now, is quite obvious. But where we make the best use of it, again, is in the Mii character presentation.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I really like the new level themes I'm seeing, and finally Mario's back to being at a system launch! However, my opinion still stands that after New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo needs to try something different with the 2D Mario games, its starting to lose its freshness.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I initially wasn't too excited for another New Super Mario Bros. game (still not too excited for the 3DS one), but this game is actually looking pretty awesome.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This looks a lot better than NSMB2. The levels look awesome from both a graphics perspective and a gameplay perspective.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

OMG, did anyone else have to stop as the Starry Night background for a second. That was amazing.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

These graphics were a disappointment on Wii but to see them barely improved on WiiU is just pathetic. I want a Mario game that actually can compete with the look of Little Big Planet or Rayman Origins.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Squirrel Suit- Racoon Cape? I like it. Backgrounds look great too. Was beginning to tire of NSMB but this one has gotten me interested again.

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

This game looks great with the New Power Ups and Platforms. I hope in the future though we get an innovative 3-D Mario Title.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Mind=blown. HD Mario is much better than I could have ever expected! Flying squirrel Mario ftw! E3 gets better and better! So much stuff all at once!

Adam

Adam said:

The baby Yoshis look cool. Glad that was brought back. Can't wait to play the three levels they're playable in.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Adam
You're just referencing the lack of Yoshi in NSMBWii, rather than going by news on this game, right? I want about 99% more Yoshi than in NSMBWii.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

This looks awesome, but I won't feel too bad about not getting it since NSMB2 should be a fine substitute.

C-195

C-195 said:

Looks great! One thing though, why are we playing as useless toads when we could be using Wario and Waluigi?!

PoorVGameNerd

PoorVGameNerd said:

The game looks awesome by the way. I won't be able to afford it for like 5 years but hey, I can dream. Lousy job market.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

WHY THE GENERIC TOADS AGAIN?? :(

Couldn't they very easily give us Peach and Toad like SMB2? Or Wario and Waluigi? Or Toad and Toadette? Or Toad and Toadsworth? Why two of the same Toads with different colors? LAME. :P

Whatever I'll still buy it and think it's flipping amazing.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

This looks great! Squirrel mario, omg!!!!! So cool. Baby yoshi! YAY!!! However I must say it would have been nice for them to redo the soundtrack, the music sounds almost the same as NSMBW. Awesome graphics though, can't wait for this.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

What can Flying Squirrel cap do that Raccoon tail couldn't? Catch updrafts for longer flight maybe?

Henmii

Henmii said:

So they basically replaced the cape from Mario world with a squirrel suit. I guess they did this just because someone at Nintendo thought that would look cuter! Ah well!

I wonder if you can turn those Yoshi babies into adult Yoshi's!

The background from the spooky level looks awesome! It's that painting from Claude Monet, right?

I am not that excited about neither both upcoming New mario bros games (and drop the "new" moniker already! It's not new anymore!), but I guess I end up with both of them and have some fun with them. For the Wii u one I have a little bit more hope, but not much!