E3 2012: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Trailer Goes for Gold

Posted by James Newton

Believe in your soul

New Super Mario Bros. 2 was one of just three 3DS games shown off during Nintendo's E3 conference, but the publisher clearly hopes it'll set a new gold standard as the precious metal is all over the place.

The new Golden Flower power-up gives Mario the ability to fire golden balls that turn blocks and enemies into coins, and the currency rattles around all over the place. From what we've seen so far, you'll be racking up extra lives like there's no tomorrow. There's also a nice homage to Super Mario World you'll pick up on.

What do you think of Mario's next 3DS outing? It's out in North America on 19th August and kickstarts the ability to download retail games on the eShop.

Mario Hits the Mushroom Kingdom Jackpot
Bowser has once again kidnapped Princess Peach, but this time, Mario has another objective. The Mushroom Kingdom is bursting with more gold coins than before. Each level is littered with gold as coins rain down from overhead pipes, trails of coins are left behind special gold enemies and gold pipes transport Mario into coin-filled caverns. It's up to players to collect as many coins as possible throughout their adventure.

Features:

The game records all the coins players collect throughout the game, so completing a level is only part of the fun. Every level is filled with golden opportunities, such as gold rings that turn enemies into valuable gold versions and a Gold Flower that gives Mario the ability to turn almost anything in his path into coins.

The return of Raccoon Mario gives Mario the ability to fly and access hidden areas.

Players will have the option to either purchase the game at retail stores or download the entire game through the Nintendo eShop.

TLink9

TLink9 said:

This game is going to be so easy if there is this many coins. It is almost like using cheats.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

REZNOR!

Mario's been pumping too many blocks lately. And I still think Wario should be in this game.

C7_

C7_ said:

THis feels more like a game that should be wario-centric

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

The gold focus is nice - but Super Mario 3D Land showed us clearly the problem of making it easy to get 1 Ups along with an easy difficulty. Nintendo better make this game a challenge or it's going to be FAR too easy. The lack of minigames and multiplayer shown so far is also concerning considering the DS version had both. I would have expected both in the 3DS version.

If the coins were being used for something other than lives (which they're obviously not) then it would make more sense, but right now it just looks like they're dumbing down a franchise that is already getting too easy as it is.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Coin overkill!!!! Mario for absolute beginners, or something.

And Reznor? Holy cow, that brought on the nostalgia...

Will_Ireland

Will_Ireland said:

Great... but its all been done before. Am I the only one that feels like they have already played this game?

ueI

ueI said:

So, do the coins do anything extra? Otherwise, there's really no point.

I wasn't interested in this game at first, but the video may have convinced me. REZNOR!

@Will_Ireland I also feel like I have played this game before.

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

I'm almost disgusted at the amount of coins. This game had better be freaking difficult to make up for it.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Wario, get your butt in here and just look at the coins your cousin is raking in!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

This is one case where it's a shame SMB games aren't more story based, as I'd love to know where the heck Reznor's been for 21 years. :P

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Ummm Wow. I understand why all the coins but they should have not had the 100 coins equals an extra life rule in this game. Maybe they should have had you be able to use all the coins in a mini game something like the slot machine in SML2: Six Golden Coins. Otherwise whats the point in have lives if you are going to ended up with 50 lives after you complete each level just from the shear amount of coins they claim each level has.

Might have to rent this one before I buy it.

ATDI

ATDI said:

I finished 3DL with 150 lives. The childhood me died inside. I love character returns, but Reznor is a really easy boss. I hate to end this on a pessimistic note, so... yay tanooki flight.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I looooooove the way this looks. Easily the game I'm most excited for this year, followed by The Last Story.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Nintendo - the joy of seeing and hearing about a 1-UP means nothing if we get hundreds of them and rarely lose them!

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I'm not seeing a huge ton of care put into this game. I mean, the tanooki thing has been beaten into the ground and with the absolutely crazy amount of coins and all. I'd imagine it's much, MUCH harder to see the gameover screen in this game, if not completely impossible.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Wait, this is a downloadable retail game? AWESOME! That's one less game card to keep track of.

@Fluttershyguy No, 100 coins equals a life, as was seen several times throughout the trailer.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Reznor, Racoon Tail and StereoScopic 3D effect makes this 'less' meh.Honestly though, couldn't stand the music during the trailer.....It's just a lame new rendition of the main title theme of NSMBWii.

NSMBWii was already way too generous with the 1-ups...I had 99 Lives when i beat the game. WTF. Now there's Golden coins busting out everywhere,overlflowing like a water fall of chocolate chocobo's

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I love collecting lots of coins... on the other hand, I didn't see any real challenge, so all the lives feel unnecessary. Maybe the whole game isn't like that? I'm trying to keep an open mind, they must have a reason for this. Maybe later levels get VERY difficult, or there's some insanely devilish secret levels?

Of course, the collecting addict in me makes me want to pick up every coin. This might make that hard.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins, Coins. Well you get the idea.

This will be great. Now an EU release date and I'm happy.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo's objective isn't to make the game ridiculously easy — we'll likely see the reasoning behind the ridiculous amounts of coinage tomorrow. :3

Mok

Mok said:

Not sure if I'm excited about this or not... the childhood me says "Buy it! Buy it!" but the more adult part of my brain wants to wait until the dust has settled and I can pick it up cheap.

mamp

mamp said:

This doesn't seem as fresh as the Wii U one, I wonder if the coins will play a role in the game or if you just get them for high scores or something?

BenAV

BenAV said:

Need to see more.
Surely there must be some point to all the coins, because otherwise it just means we'll have a ton of extra lives.
More interested for the Wii U game.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Nintendo admits in its own little way that lives are a pointless system in 21st century gaming.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I don't know. I seriously hope Nintendo isn't trying to make it so easy. & using the Tanookie suits/Raccoon tails/Enemies from much older Mario titles/etc. tells me Nintendo is using (those things for) nostalgia, simply/just to get potential customers that/what would be probably less, or even unlikely to buy these newer Mario games, otherwise. I may still wanna get this, but I'll have to have my arm (proverbially) seriously twisted, as right now, I'm unsure, & more leaning towards not getting this.

RR529

RR529 said:

I don't really care if it's hard or not, as long as it's fun, and all that coin overload looks fun to me.

P.S., I'm sold on Renzor. Best sight all day.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I like the coin idea, its a cool theme for the game. I'm wondering why they used pretty much the same music from New Super Mario Bros. Wii though. Like why? It looks pretty interesting otherwise.

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

Looks interesting, but I hope there is more ideas put into this game then we saw in this trailer.

Gioku

Gioku said:

This is so great! WTF at so much stuff in this video! EPICNESS! I can't wait!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Lots of coins mean tons of extra lives, that is for sure. In 3D Land, you can even go up to the triple digits with the extra lives, and Mario games are a few of the only ones that tell you how many times you have died total. I don't mind at all.

Seeing games like Rayman Origins make me realize how unnecessary it is to have extra lives. And that game was no cakewalk for the fact of having infinite lives. It just saves you from the hassle of losing all your lives, seeing the game over screen and pressing start again to continue.

ATDI

ATDI said:

Maybe online leaderboards for time and coins collected? I dunno I'm just desperate to find a purpose in the coin madness now.

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

Well, it's another 2D Mario game so I shouldn't complain, but I'm pretty sure I could beat this game on my first run while blindfolded.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

So much hate here. It's a Mario game! I can't recall ever being dissapointed by one.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

It would be cool if the coins you got in this game could be somehow related/transferred into those 3DS coins you get for walking. Like for every 100/1000 coins you get 1 3DS coins.

Lives seem to be an outdated concept in platformers these days.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

There's probably challenges where you have to get 500 or 1000 coins and get to the flagpole before time runs out. That'd be cool for hardcore 100% completionists, but the fact remains you'd end up with way too many lives. Just look at the original SMB and how tricky it can be to finish with more than ten lives! The gulf in difference is enormous now.

ATDI

ATDI said:

@Fabian Which ones? The resolution on the 3DS is so much higher than the resolution on the DS, so I'm just not seeing it. I think the art style of this is dull, but that's my only graphics complaint.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Is that all to it? Collecting lots and lots and lots of coins?! Surely there must be something more behind it! Maybe it has something to do with the story! We could learn more at the upcoming 3DS showcase!

However, the game could be incredibly easy because of all those lives you will earn!