E3 2012: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Gets Co-operative

Posted by Mike Mason

Double your money

Here's a feature everybody's been wanting for New Super Mario Bros. 2 — it has a two player co-operative mode.

You can run through the entire 3DS platformer alongside a friend, taking control of a Mario Bro. each. There are a couple of stumbling blocks though: both players need to own a copy of the game, and it's also only playable over local wireless. No online for you.

A high score StreetPass mode has been announced too. In Coin Rush you've got to grab as much gold as possible over the course of three levels. Your record is passed out wirelessly for potential gold diggers to beat.

We've added some new screenshots to the gallery below. What're your thoughts on these additions to New Super Mario Bros. 2?

47drift

47drift said:

It still looks pretty darn close to the first DS game, which is very concerning. I'll probably wait to hear impressions from friends first, but I'm sure it will still be fun all the same. Likely a bargain bin title for me!

I really like to see flying return. I've missed it. Kind of wish it was the cape though, but hey whatever!

Lan

Lan said:

Is it just me, or do the physics in the NSMB games seem slower than the physics in the old 2D games?

Faron

Faron said:

I like the fact that you have to collect 1 000 000 coins to beat the game completely. Too bad i'm not planning to get 3DS.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I didnt think I was going to get this game until today - but these additions are great, and have persuaded me. However I feel like Nintendo are doing the minimum they can to get that sale out of me. Where are all the minigames from the DS version - along with multiplayer for them?

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I thought the co op mode looked utterly horrible. There's two separate consoles, with two separate screens, plus two copies of the game, but if Luigi can't keep up with Mario he ends up floating in a bubble?! They didn't even need screen scaling like on Wii, because there's two screens. Of all the embarrassing things that Nintendo has done over the last few days, this is the worst thing I've seen.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Sorry Nintendo, but my purchase is going to Heroes of Ruin... Maybe I'll pick this up someday... as long as you don't mess it up like your time at E3... I've lost faith in you nintendo... please restore it D:

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

All right, the Koopalings are back! I feel better about the game's chances now, but I really hope they don't copy and paste too much from past games such as the music. As long as it's fun and the gameplay is solid it should be all right.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So, seems like a good time to ask - has their ever been a 1 cart multi-play 3DS game? I didn't expect this 1 to be the first. Maybe Nintendo can test the waters w/ a $60 2-pack (based on a $40 3DS game). I'll buy it when somebody has a BOGO half off sale. And I know I'm alone in this but "local only' works for me.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i`m getting this because it will be a game my son and i can play together. I love the idea of co-op. it`s like the new super mario bros Wii game in that way. I love it.

James

James said:

Official fact sheet says:

"New Super Mario Bros. 2 is an all-new side-scrolling adventure game featuring Mario AND Luigi. Two players who each own the game will have the option to play the entire game in two-player multiplayer mode using local wireless."

Emaan

Emaan said:

It looks pretty good. I wish they kept the Mario vs. Luigi multiplayer mode, that was tons of fun in the original. If this is supposed to be a direct sequel to the original DS game, where's Bowser Jr.? Where's the mini-games? These should be in the game, in my opinion. Like NintyFan, I also really hope the music is new, and not just copied from the past New Super Mario Bros. games. Still, I trust Nintendo to make this a great game.

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

This actually has two players at the same time? That's actually great! The Koopalings apparently are coming back. That's good too. This makes the game seem a bit more tempting to get. (I think this could easily work as a four player game, since every one will have their own screen.) I hope that the game will have new mini games (Like included in the Original) and that you don't have to keep up with the main player (or at least not be so limited on how far apart we can be) and original music along with great remixes of Super Mario World music.

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

I want this game so bad.

And to all players saying: "No online? This game sucks!"
Well... you need help...

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@chiptoon: Agreed. Absolutely absurd that they would do that. Honestly, I think it comes down to laziness. And fanboys, don't put laziness past Nintendo; remember, they actually SAID that the only reason there are 2 toads in NSMBW instead of Wario and Waluigi or something is because they were more like Mario and Luigi and were easier to program.

siconlol

siconlol said:

Hey I just played you
and this is crazy
but if there's co op
Lets have online maybe

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

Mmm... No online? OK I can handle it, but 2 copies of the game? Mmmm... MMM............................ I wish my girlfriend wants to buy it, because if she doesn't wants to spend the money on this gem, I won't buy it 'cause I want to play with her...

Knux

Knux said:

Still no online multiplayer? Nintendo, get with the d*mn program!

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@James Okay so it has local wireless, still doesn't explain the Nintendo network logo, I thought that was there to indicate online games? Or does it also include SpotPass functionality?

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

A 2-player co-op mode will be nice, and the caveats are understandable. I don't expect them to transfer the whole single-player experience as a download, and I wouldn't want to play online in a game like this and have to deal with lag or difficult communication.

Did they happen to say whether they'll have versus mode options as well (like the original), and if so whether that mode supports download play?

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Should've included online 2P, but alas, we'll take the baby steps. Oh why must the people-who-don't-readily-have-friends-nearby suffer and for how much longer??

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Nintendo Network logo is probably b/c it uses SpotPass for high score trading. Don't think I'll get this, but I may change my mind in the future.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

local only doesn't work for me because none of my friends have a 3ds. Online play would be great

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

The coop implementation here is different from the Wii game. It is a lot more competitive, as the one in the lead is the one the screen focuses on, but at the same time, that player will encounter obstacles first, making things harder if you just want to leave the other bro behind.

I don't see what is the problem with having two copies of the game to play coop, as this is the kind of game that everyone buys, besides being readily available as a download too.