E3 2012: Game & Wario is Like Wario Ware, But On Wii U

Posted by James Newton

He's-a gonna ween

Nintendo just pulled the cover off Game & Wario (temporary title), a Wii U compilation that's like WarioWare blended with Game & Watch.

The title's minigames use only the Wii U GamePad, so we'll hopefully see some very smart uses of that new touch screen controller. One screenshot shows Jimmy, on skis, in HD. What more do you want?

It's developed by Intelligent Systems — the team behind Fire Emblem and Pushmo — and will land on Wii U launch day.

Wario's Wii U Masterpiece

Wario and his Diamond City friends are back in action. Game & Wario (working title) features a collection of games that use only the Wii U GamePad controller. The games retain the original flair and character of the micro-games from the WarioWare series.

Features:

To earn medals and various bonus items, players are encouraged to play a variety of games.

Arrow – This single-player game transforms the GamePad into a hi-tech bow (shaped like Wario's mustache, of course) and arrow designed to defeat swarming enemies. Players hold the GamePad vertically with one hand to aim at enemies on the TV screen, while using their other hand to pull the arrow on the GamePad's touch screen.

Ski – In this single-player game, competitors must lead the skier to the finish line by holding the GamePad vertically and tilting it left or right. The TV monitor will show the skier's flashy moves to entertain the audience.

Shutter – In this single-player game, the player must use the GamePad like a telephoto camera lens to take photos of criminals hidden in the town before the time runs out.

Fruit – In this game for two to five players, the main player uses the GamePad to anonymously control one of many characters on the TV screen to quietly steal some fruit scattered all over the town. Once the thief completes the mission, the player passes the GamePad to the other players, who then must try to finger the suspect.

Additional games will be announced at a later time.

stipey

stipey said:

By which I mean, yeah, cool. Actually, the e3.nintendo.com shows a great lineup. It was just the presentation that was a bit lacking, I think.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

@bigpale
Indeed indeed! I'm sure Nintendo has a lot of things up their sleeves that will be good, but if they wanted to impress the "hardcore" they should have shown less Sing and Wii Fit and more actual games. The more casual-oriented games can be announced at a later time. It's not like the people who use those games the most watch E3.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Untitled

This was the only game I wanted right here. WHY DIDN'T THEY SHOW THIS DURING THE CONFERENCE?! I would've cheered! Jimmy T. never looked so awesome! However, can you say, "KATANA!"

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

"Why couldn't this have been on the show in place of "Sing"?"

This. And the Platinum Games game. Come on, Nintendo, you've been at the E3 for many years. Should've figured this out by now. Do you really need someone explaining a minigame in Nintendoland for 15 minutes?

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Why was this not shown? They could have easily split off some of the half hour allotted mini game collection time from NintendoLand.

steveex

steveex said:

Instead of showing this, they decide to show 5 minutes of video showing the NintendoLand hub, with no gameplay. Why?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Agree w/ everyone. Soccer mom's who buy dance and exercise games - I think at one point I joked they should name WiiU the Wii Dance and Exercise Machine - aren't going to be watching E3. They're busy sitting around drinking wine talking about 50 Shades of Grey. That Platimun games game looked better than most of what they showed.

To be honest, now that I've had time to think about it - last years E3 WiiU reveal was a whole lot better than this years. I don't even want it now.

TheChosen

TheChosen said:

I'll join the choir and go "Why wasnt this shown!?". Then again, I guess it would have been viewed as yet another mini-game compilation.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Agree with those complaining that this should've been shown during the conference instead of the filler they included. Still happy to see it's coming at all, though. Wario forever! :D

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Well, this and Pikmin 3 make two must buy games now. Sad thing they did not even mention this on the presentation. They talked about Nintendo Land a lot, yet they barely showed anything meaty for that game, which was really confusing.

Warioware games are the funny way of making tech demos for new consoles.

Yasume

Yasume said:

WarioWare is cool and all, but aren't there like 10 games of that franchise available already and aren't they like very similar to each other? I don't want to see mini-game compilation games, just give us action games starring our favorite Nintendo characters!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Whew, I gotta calm down. I felt like an energetic ninja girl there for a moment. I was primed and ready for a new WarioWare after going back and playing the series during the year, rediscovering how much I enjoyed the games since I was young. I wouldn't have minded if it was for Wii U or 3DS, but WarioWare will work brilliantly on the Wii U. I hope this is a launch title or very close to it.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Wario ware shows off the new systems ability, wondered why there's no warioware 3D yet

hydeks

hydeks said:

nintendo really should have been given more time :P Microsoft got tons of time for stuff where knew and crap :P

this looks great though

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@rjejr

"Soccer mom's who buy dance and exercise games - I think at one point I joked they should name WiiU the Wii Dance and Exercise Machine - aren't going to be watching E3. They're busy sitting around drinking wine talking about 50 Shades of Grey"

I lol'd. As if 'Sing' wasn't enough, they just had to throw in Just Dance 4. Also, Wii Fit U's gamepad screen elements by the quick glimpse we got seem gimmicky and lackluster, the wii motion plus + Balance board seems like it offers more realism and more variety.... I'm still not convinced over the GamePad, instead of building on the fundementals of the Wii remote plus they went in an entirely different direction....The Gamepad just can't replicate what the wii remote can do > gun, sword, flashlight ect ect ect.

Anyways! Extremely pumped for anything 'Wario' :D
Smooth Moves for the Wii was such a unique off the wall trip!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@jtt235: That's what I'm thinking about too. They did release two versions of WarioWare D.I.Y. for the DS and WiiWare in the past. Just take my money already, Wario!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I would prefer it if it was a proper Warioware game where each character has their own stage with their own set of mini-games and a cutscene before and after each stage and everything else you'd normally see in a Warioware game but I'm sure this will still be a lot of fun.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Sounds like an ideal title to pack in with a second Game Pad. Or maybe an eShop game. Or of course it might also feature enough content to justify a retail release. Need more info.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Alright.

Buying the system just for this game.

New Wariowares always get my attention.

Tomatoboxer

Tomatoboxer said:

I love Wario games. The GBA WarioWares were probably my favourite games for the system, Smooth Moves was a good showcase, and DIY is delightful.
Reading the list, none of the concepts were especially catching my interest, but then I got to fruit. A WarioWare version of SpyParty? Sign me up!

Emaan

Emaan said:

Blending Wario + Game and Watch is a cool idea. I'm intrigued to see what they do with this game. This could have easily been shown if they didn't spend so much time on NintendoLand. :p

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Sounds like something my daughter would really enjoy and the right kind of launch title to reassure people this will continue to be a family-friendly console.

SonyFACE

SonyFACE said:

did nintendo make their conference pitiful on purpose? why couldn't they just show us this stuff and not all the other____?

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

I don't understand why this wasn't on the show floor....tbh less dance crap and cut some time off of Nintendo Land, and demo THIS. I mean I just don't get it...

This is fantastic though!

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

This looks interesting, but I have to see a trailer of this game before I decide to buy it.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

less time should've been spent on just dance and sing. but you know, ubisoft- for every interesting assassins creed, rayman, there is shovelware in the form of sing, just dance. and after their success on the wii with just dance, they're going to milk that franchise even more.

i only discovered this game when it was posted on go nintendo. it definitely has that warioware, rhythm heaven fever look to it. and plus, it's developed by intelligent systems, who are great. looks fun!

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

@fivedigitlp my thoughts exactly.

Look I knew there would be new music, dance, and fitness games. Nintendo would be stupid not to make those considering they are the bread and butter of the wii. However, grandmothers and soccer moms are not tuning in to E3 anxiously anticipating the announcement of Sing and Wii U Fitness. Nintendo should have played toward the core gaming audience much harder.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

This looks fun. I'm also hoping they'll make a more substantial, "party" style Warioware game for WiiU for up to four-five players...liter then a Mario Party, but heavier then Warioware GC.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

@rjejr I disagree. I am a mom and I just don't play dance and singing games. I play fighters, platformers, racing games and RPGs. I am a gamer mom.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Could be fun! I wasn't a great fan of Warioware DIY, but Smooth moves was great fun. So this could be fun too!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Looks fun and all but why give us another mini-games compilation when Nintendoland is already full enough?