Wii Pikmin 2 Hits North America on 10th June for $19.99

Posted by James Newton

Among other price drops

The long-awaited Pikmin 2 on Wii reaches North America on 10th June for $19.99.

Dropping the New Play Control! monicker, the enhanced romp launches as part of the Nintendo Selects range. It'll be joined by another Wii-enhanced remake, Mario Power Tennis, coming to Nintendo Selects for the first time.

There are other price drops around North America too: Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Donkey Kong Country Returns both drop to $29.99.

Will you pluck Olimar's second adventure on 10th June or does one of the other titles catch your eye?

NintendoLee

NintendoLee said:

Well done Operation Dolphinfall it only took three years to get the game but I am so proud of you =)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Hmmm..... I was not that big on Mario Tennis for the Gamecube, but for $19.99 I might need to revisit it.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

This should be a good pick up for me as I never really had a chance to play through all of Pikmin 2 when it came out on Gamecube. If I remember right, I think Japan has had this game since 2010 or 2009. Not exactly sure entirely. But it's finally good to see the Wii version of this game making it's North American debut.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I got the Gamecube version from a Gamecube bundle I bought few years back. Wasn't my cup of tea, I just find the game boring.

hydeks

hydeks said:

reads the article and falls asleep...till the end HEY! $30 BRAWL AND DKCR!!!!!???!? AWESOME getting those lol

Pikmin 2 is coming out as a Nintendo Select? Umm....Pikmin 2 wasn't released here....so how did it have time to be a Nintendo Select?

Yay, I'm interested in getting Mario Power Tennis, DKCR, and Brawl, not really Pikmin 2, I need to learn more about that game (I know the lil guys name is Olimar..about it)

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I still haven't purchased Brawl... but I've never really understood SSB nor do I know a single person who is into it, so I'd be stuck with the single player. But for $30... maaaaaybe I should give the franchise another shot.

DKCR for $30 is a steal. I still would call that the best 2D (gameplay) platformer of at least this generation and the last combined.

Sonicman

Sonicman said:

@hydeks Nintendo Select just means 20$ game, not how well it sold ;).
Looking forward to pikmin 2, never played the original, heard this one was better. Also, might get DKCR and/or MPT, already got brawl for 30$ awhile back, it was new, too :P.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

Sounds like Nintendo was waiting till E3 to drop an "available now!" bomb on us. Silly retailers and their leaks.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

That's great to hear! I was getting Pikmin 2 in June for the Wii anyway, but this really helps.
I've already got Brawl but I know some people who doesn't have it yet. Good to hear this may change that!

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@NintendoLee

Ya, I think I heard before some time ago that you guys in Europe had gotten Pikmin 2 on Wii right after it came out in Japan. It's funny how MOST of the time, NOA screws us over here in the US and waits until nearly the last min. to send us a game that's 2 or 3 years old.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I held out forever but then finally broke down and bought a new copy of Super Smash Bros recently. I just knew this price drop would happen. But that's okay, the game rocks and is worth whatever price. Of course, 29.99 sounds a lot better than 49.99. Also, DKCR is well worth the price if anyone is wondering. Last thing, PIKMIN 2 WILL BE MINE!!

Emaan

Emaan said:

Definitely want Pikmin 2 now, just to be ready for Pikmin 3 on Wii U. I also might pick up Donkey Kong Country Returns, $30 is a great deal :)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I'm so glad i held out and passed on the Cube version of Pikmin 2. I'll admit though, I never expected Pikmin 2 to see the light of day in the NA. Anyways, how much better is it than the original?

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

(Edited)

I've read on VGchartz that Mario Sports Mix sold about 1.92 million copies. It should be part of the Nintendo Selects titles too since Mario Super Sluggers sold only about 1.60 million copies. Eh...I guess I'll get Sports Mix at the full price :(

For the least part, DKCR gets a price drop and well worth the price since its my second best favorite Wii game. My first favorite (probably change it) is Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

iphys

iphys said:

Hmmm, I had wanted to give Pikmin 2 a try and it's so cheap and I can probably get $5 off for preordering it, yet I'm mostly playing 3DS these days. What to do, what to do, what to do . . . .

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I already have all of them. I wonder if EU would give us a Nintendo Selects title of some similar kind (not released before) like Excitebots: Trick Racing or Mario Super Sluggers.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Well since I wrote this last month when the release was announced:

"Having already played this on the GC about a miliion years ago, and now Nintnedo is releasing the NPC 3 years after Europe, the only way I'll be picking this up is if it is in one of those red boxes for $20."

I kind of feel obligated to pick it up now ;-)

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@3DSLUIGI Perhaps you should do some research. Because you'll find that America usually gets the games first while Europe and Australia "get screwed over"

Oh yes, "most of the time" America gets screwed over? Give me a break!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

:D !!!! I've been waiting for this to release!! :D! I never played the second one but the first was great!!! This'll REALLY get me hyped for the third one!!!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@WaveBoy It's supposed to have fixed all the complaints with the first one, like the "Awful" graphics added 2 new pikmin added the ability to multi-task like you could have Olimar grow your army and Louie use it or have one pluck pikmin and the other gather things to convert to seeds etc. I haven't played it but it sounds way cooler than the first one, which is pretty cool too :D

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@LztheBlehBird

I said that only because of in this case, North America NEVER SAW any sign of this game after Japan had gotten it for their country. Besides, if I recall correctly, NOA didn't want to release New Play Control! Pikmin 2 in the US at the time because they had no plans of any kind or reason enough to bring it to North American gamers. Besides, uh ya, they have. Just look at the lack of the 3DS VC games on the eShop in North America and compare those ratings to those of the 3DS VC games Europe & Japan got within the course of about nearly 2 months time almost. Really makes me sick to my stomach to know NOA over here trolled us for so long releasing nothing but 3DSWare games and NOT A SINGLE 3DS VC game for nearly 2 months.

WesCash

WesCash said:

Cool, I'll probably pick up DKCR at some point.
Anyone that hasn't played Pikmin 2 should definitely pick that up as well.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

i am so happy about pikmin 2 at a great price. add in dkcr and it is really terrific. (pikmin everywhere are quivering in fear of my drowning them...gurgle, gurgle).

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I'm not sure if I want a re-release of Pikmin 2. The game is actually kinda collectable right now, so a re-release could make it worth more or less.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Finally!

I've been waiting for this forever. Not willing to pay the GCN prices.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

It's a little weird that it's a Nintendo Selects when it's never been released here before, but whatever.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@SkywardLink98

You know man, it's funny that you mention that. True, it's a good way to get anyone hyped for Pikmin 3. But to me, now that I think more about this, I wonder if this is kinda Nintendo's way in North America to get ppl excited for Pikmin 3 for when it shows up at E3 2012.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I already have SSBB and DKCR, but I'm gonna get Pikmin 2 for sure! I have to play it before the 3rd one comes out after all!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

How do we know about this information anyway? Did a retailer leak it? That would explain why I can find any places to pre-order it D:

hydeks

hydeks said:

@sonicman1011 good point, I kinda miss the "Player's Choice" line of old alil cause they where high selling games that got a REALLY cheap price. Nintendo Selects just kinda seems like, well, whatever they select to be cheap lol

I'm definitely getting DKCR. I've beaten it completely BUT the game is literally so good, that I want it to play 100% again (not many games I can say I completely beat...the games THAT good)

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

@hydeks
Haha, I know what you mean, although I am fairly interested in trying out Pikmin 2 (since I want Pikmin 3 for the Wii U), the fact that DK Country returns is seeing a price drop is awesome. I want the game but its been way too expensive for me.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I really wish I liked the new controls, seeing as Pikmin 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. I played the first one with the controls at Best Buy though, and just hated them. Go figure.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Definently getting Pikmin 2. Intrested in Mario Tennis and don't really care about the DKCR and SSBB price drops as I already own them, but still a good deal. I hope Nintendo transfers other New Play Control titles to Nintendo Selects like the original Pikmin, which would make sense. Along with DK Jungle Beat and Chibi-Robo.

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

Buying Pikmin and Mario Tennis, and also Brawl becuase mine is defective...have almost 100% on it but it's just so fun! Already have DKCR so yeah.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I too would be interested in the source. Nobody wants to take my $$$ in a preorder. Amazon will put a game up with an overestimated price and a TBD release date to get preorders at even a whiff of a potential release. How long did the have "Monando" to preorder before Xenoblade was ever confirmed for US release?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That news really made my day, if only for Pikmin 2. I borrowed the first one and it was a great experience, so I am preordering the second one for a measly $20.

And I guess there are still Wii owners without Brawl and even DKCR. It took 4 years for Brawl's price to drop, while it took DK "only" two. They really should set a timeframe for price drops, kinda like the Sony Greatest Hits collection.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

The only reason I'm upset is because I have so many wii games to finish before wii u. But I feel obligated to pick up Pikmin 2, and 1 because I'm getting 3.
.....Too many games.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Token_Girl and anyone else asking for source: there we go. As for the lack-of-available-preorders mystery, i'd chalk it up to weirdness — i remember trying multiple times to preorder Bit.Trip SAGA before it hit, and GameStop didn't even have it in their systems. then no one in town had a copy for days after its supposed release date. granted, i know this is a first-party release, and it could just be that it was announced only today so that's why, but i hope there won't be any weird supply issues with Pikmin 2 :(

Popyman

Popyman said:

FINALLY!! I've been waiting on a Brawl price drop for ages, God I missed that game but I knew the moment I bought it back it would go on sale the next day.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I thought I wasn't going to double dip for Pikmin 2, but this is making me reconsider. $20 is quite tempting for one of the best games ever made.