Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Last one before E3

It's that time again, the weekend is upon us. It's been a busy week here at Nintendo Life, so naturally we're planning to unwind for a couple of days with some quality gaming. This will be the last of these features for a few weeks, however, as we'll be busy bringing you all of the content you could ever want for that gaming bonanza in LA: E3. Fear not, after E3 we'll go back to sharing our gaming lives with you every two weeks, and of course we look forward to reading about your gaming plans as well.

Onto this week, some more members of the team share all, including two that are enjoying a perk of the job — though it's not all glamour, we hasten to remind you — and others that will sacrilegiously be playing on other gaming platforms as well as Nintendo. Disciplinary proceedings are underway.

James Newton

Mario Tennis Open — I'm hoping to face off against Mr Mason in some courtly shenanigans.

StreetPass Quest — I'm watching the Bupa Great Manchester Run this weekend, so I'm looking forward to lots of StreetPass action.

Mike Mason

Mario Tennis Open — Being a games journo I'll have the privilege of dusting off my racket and slipping on Donkey Kong sweatbands to test out Mario's latest sporting event.

VVVVVV — The music to this fantastic retro adventure has been jammed in my head since it was released in the UK last week.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword — I should probably finish this if I get a spare ten hours...

Joe Walker

Disney Epic Mickey — I've started the game on three separate occasions but it looks like this is going to be the session I see through to the end. The camera can be frustrating, but the game is fun to play and the amount of love that went into its development makes it hard to put down.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX — I downloaded this from the eShop ages ago and never really gave it a shot. I've got a wide open weekend for once and I haven't been giving my 3DS much love lately. Time to kick it old school, methinks.

Mario Kart 7 — I finally got around to unlocking all the characters, now for the long slog of all the kart pieces. I'll probably get bored and give up after a while, but I'm having fun now and that's all that matters, isn't it?

Ron DelVillano

Mario Tennis Open — I'll spend all day Saturday wondering why it wasn't released sooner, then I'll spend all day Sunday serving up aces.

Marcel Van Duyn

Pandora's Tower — I haven't had much time to finish this and The Last Story with all the games coming out lately, but as things are slowing down a bit now, I'm focusing on this one first. I'm still only in the third tower, but I like the game so far, even if it feels a bit less high profile than The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City — The PC version is out this Friday, so I'm going to play through it in co-op with three friends and see if it's as horrible as the reviews say. At least it's got lots of fan-service!

Christopher Ingram

Trine 2 — A beautiful 2D physics-based platformer that's inspired by the SNES classic, The Lost Vikings.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale — This wonderful little indie RPG has been continually sucking me back for more over and again lately. A cutesy Japanese dungeon crawler that lets you own and operate your very own item shop to sell all that wonderful loot. I can guarantee that at some point this weekend, a quick Recettear fix will turn into a multiple hour gaming session. I can't wait!

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones — This Ambassador title has been sitting on my 3DS for far too long now, and I've got full plans to dive in head first to start getting warmed-up for Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Philip J Reed

This weekend I'll be playing the Mega Man Revolution fangame Thomas was kind enough to link to recently, and I'll also be making a return trip through the brilliant Ufouria: The Saga, which is just limitlessly adorable and really does deserve to be revisited every year or so. Additionally I'll be doing my best to accumulate star ranks in Mighty Switch Force in anticipation of its upcoming new levels. Of course, I won't get them all — darn that final level...

So there you have it, what will you be playing this weekend?

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I've got Xenoblade from gamefly for the weekend. If I have any other time it'll be something like Awesomenauts with the wife!

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

If I get the change, alot!

Zelda: Spirit Tracks - still...haven't beat this.
Zelda: Skyward Sword - Started my Hero run playthrough a couple days ago
Mario Tennis Open - Comes out Sunday...probably will get it.
and maybe some more Kirby Block Ball, and some Game and Watch gallery...if I have the time for all these anyway...

(enjoy these on Fridays by the way!)

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

I won't stop playing Kid Icarus until I have all the challenges completed =D Or at least most of them =P

TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold said:

Mario Tennis Open comes out here on Sunday! So that, then. And before that probably Mario Party 9, Sunshine, Mario Kart 7, Brawl, stuff like that (not all of those, those just sound fun to play right now :) )

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

I'll be playing Dragon Quest IX, bought it last week and i can't stop playing :O

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I would be playing Skyward Sword's hero mode and Super Paper Mario, if I didn't have to send my Wii to be repaired -_-

Oh well, I'll be on Mario Kart 7 now that it is actually playable (no more Wuhu Mountain Loop glitch shenanigans! Wooo!), and I might play some Uprising, Darksiders, Awesomenauts, and Arkham City.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I was going to play Suikoden V which I bought from my county's equivalent of ebay, but sadly I didn't get the game this weekend due to this weeks thursday being a holiday here. So, I have to settle for a playthrough of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin instead.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

OMG James Newton is going to be in my hometown this weekend!! Stalking gear at the ready...
Oh and I'll be playing Skyrim , Sine Mora and maybe some Mario Kart 7 :)

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Forgot to contribute (sorry Tom!) but I'll be finishing up Max Payne 3 for review, smashin' fools online come Sunday in Mario Tennis Open and then probably some more BatmanBatmanBatman if time allows.

realar

realar said:

Still playing Kid Icarus: Uprising and my second English copy of Pokemon White, I hate losing games in my room.

ville10

ville10 said:

I'll be finishing FlingSmash and if I find the time I'll start with Pandora's Tower. I'll probably play some MotoHeroz for iOS as well.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Just got Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicals (olddie but a golddie) for the Wii and Mincraft last weekend so I've been busy mainly playing those can't wait for E3!

UPDATE: You know I just realized that I STILL haven't finshed TLOZ:SS I'm kinda mad at myself for that >:(

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Thinking about buying a new game this weekend. Maybe Max Panye 3 or I might wait for Dragons Dogma.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I'm on the 8th tower of Pandora's Tower on the wii and the Dracula's castle of Castlevania order of ecclesia! But this weekend I'll also be playing VVVVV on the 3DS and some Shadows of the Damned for PS3. Can't wait for the Nintendo press conference at E3!

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

What would "Desiree Turner" like to play, or is she shy and lame to tell us? >:3

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

I have some games I started playing a while ago, but never finished and I'm hoping to do that this weekend. Games like, Kid Icarus : Uprising, Donkey Kong 64, and Sonic Adventure 2. I will also be playing some racing games. First I'm going to play Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS, and then Sonic R on my Sega Saturn. After that I'm gonna see if my little sister wants to play Mario Party 1 :)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@LztheBlehBird Maybe Des didn't have time to say this week, or maybe she's like me and just doesn't know yet. Last week she was playing Xenoblade as I remember and I'm sure she'll play something, like everyone else :)

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

De Blob 2 [1st time]
Mario Sunshine [3rd file to complete--I'm currently at 25 shines]
Rush 2049 [played it a lot back in the N64 days, but it's been a long time]

Yasume

Yasume said:

I'll be rockin my history, social studies and french books. 10 more days and my exams will finally be over!

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Delving into the world of LA Noire and destroying my brother again in GTA IV. I found Noire for ten bucks brand new, who could say no to that?

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I've been playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age for the past few days, so I'll probably continue with that.

Oh, and more Rune Factory 3!

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

I'll try and finish up Xenoblade! Then start up Tales of the Abyss. I might try to beat Chrono Trigger and wrap it up with some more Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World. Oh, and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn along with Sacred Stones will be in there also. Maybe I'll even play Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Dang I I'm in a RPG mood!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Epic Mickey: started the game, hopefully will be done the game this weekend
Super Paper Mario: Played up to Chapter 1-3, so far not too bad
PokeMon Diamond: First pokemon game I've played, bought it last weekend, haven't been able to put it down since :P

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

Assassin's Creed, and maybe some Mario Kart 7. Now that we got that update I might be able to actually win some races xD

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

I'll keep playing Pokemon Diamond (I gave up on getting a Munchlax!) mixed with Mario Picross and Plants vs Zombies on my 3DS.
I'll also continue playing Final Fantasy I and IX on my PSP.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I'm on the fence with Mario Tennis Open, I'm hoping to buy Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2, and I know I'm playing Mario Kart 7 and Wolfenstein 3D.

MadScientistMan

MadScientistMan said:

Most likely Professor Layton and the Lost Future.

And who knows I may even get time to finish Skylanders Spyro's Adventure on my 360 which I haven't played for ages.

Millenia

Millenia said:

I still have so much schoolwork left to do... but I'll still manage to set some time aside. I have been playing The World Ends With You a lot lately, and I'm really enjoying it. I'll mostly play that this weekend but if I choose to play something else it will be Katamari Damacy! It's SO addicting!

Onett

Onett said:

The only games I'll be playing this weekend are at the Kid Icarus: Uprising Multiplayer Battle Day event I set up.
1.) Kid Icarus: Uprising
2.) Mario Kart 7
3.) Pokemon Black & White
4.) Starfox 3D

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

Still on Super Robot Taisen : Endless Frontier and Pokemon Soul Silver. Casually i'll be also playing Zen Pinball. Maybe my Game Center CX 2 import. Or i'll just sleep the whole weekend.

HP_3

HP_3 said:

I just finished Tales of the Abyss finally. I'll be playing Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS and Xenoblade on Wii. Mario Tennis Open on Sunday.

@sketchturner
Hell yeah on Rush 2049! I played that one to death!

Zergling

Zergling said:

There is one more weeknd until E3.

I am playing
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (until my head hurts)
aliens: infestation (until i get frustrated)
monster tale
I may start mario and luigi: bowser's inside story
thinking about getting a dsi xl for comfort

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

Been playing a ton of XBLA games. Going hard at Minecraft lately and still playing Trials Evolution. The Wii is getting dusty.

KyubiStewie

KyubiStewie said:

Since I just got my 3DS two weeks ago, I'm still playing Super Street Fighter IV and Mario Land 2. I'll also be playing TF2 and a bit of Torchlight.

3dsFanatic4419

3dsFanatic4419 said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising: The multiplayer is extremely addictive, plus I haven't beat the story mode yet.
Mario Kart 7: Nothing beats some intense kart racing
Spotto!: I still haven't beat this DSiware game yet. Plus, it's pretty fun and challenging at times.
Rayman Origins Demo: Even though this is just a demo, I'm hooked onto it. Plus I played it for 2 hours straight.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Since I got Pushmo this past monday (Yes I should have got it sooner), I'll be at that. Kid Icarus: Uprising. DQMJ2. SSBB. I think a gamecube game I'm yet to pick or Dillon's Rolling Western.

Then I think since the Halo fans are about, I'll likely lose at Halo, reminding me why I don't play

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

I'll be playing Skylanders. But I have a question for you guys. Should I buy Mario Tennis Open or a Classic Controller Pro so I can properly play Xenoblade? Because I can get one or the other, and I just can't play Xenoblade with the Wii Remote. But Mario Tennis Open looks decent...

Hokori

Hokori said:

All the final fantasies from beginning to end starting now until Sunday at midnight

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Got my repaired Wii back yesterday!!! Jumping back into Xenoblade after a 2 week hiatus.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Finished Monster World IV, so for this weekend I want to go back to make some progress in Pandora's Tower (9th tower) and Last Window (chapter 5).

pariah164

pariah164 said:

Dragon Quest IX, Legend of Dragoon, and Super Mario 3D Land. Trying to stay occupied till Theatrhythm and Rhythm Thief come out.

Mockingjay

Mockingjay said:

Going old school and playing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on the old 'cube. Never finished it as a ten-year old so having another go at it. :')

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I'm playing "fix the water damage done by a bad pipe in my laundry room" and then some "catch up on a project for work."

Maybe, if there's more time after all that fun, I'll play some Kid Icarus.

nba4life

nba4life said:

definetly mario tennis open because im gonna get it sunday no matter what the reviews say! (even though i havent played it i would think that its better than a 7 nintendo life)

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Hmm...

Probably some Skyrim, Kid Icarus, Kirby Air Ride, Minecraft, Halo: Reach, Littlebigplanet 2, some Rachet and Clank, maybe some Mario Sunshine, SSBB, Kirby Returns to Dreamland, and maybe some Mario Party 9.

Hell, maybe I'll go outside :O

thanos316

thanos316 said:

f1 2011 for the 3ds. yea that game is fast and fun. little minor issues, but nonetheless still a fun game.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Pogocoop Haha... me too! I'm an indie nerd, and this game is just sucking my life away, and I'm loving it. Oh, how great Recettear would be on 3DS!

@MikeDanger1 I almost listed Game Center CX 2, but I've got a review to wrap up this weekend and I don't think I'll be breaking it out, or else I might not get anything done properly this weekend.

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

Crono trigger on da iphone and pokemon white on the dsi :3 cant wait till le pokemon black 2 comes out

n2k

n2k said:

I'll definitely be playing Mario Kart 7 and Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure. I might play a bit of Trine 2 or try to get closer to 100% in Rayman Origins.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

just picked up a copy of star tropics, bionic commando, contra force and a working power glove lol always wanted a power glove when i was little but mom and dad said it cost to much.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'll be playing two RPGs. One's an action-rpg that I've almost finished and the other is a turn based rpg that I've just started. Respectively, they are The last story and Final fantasy IV DS. I hope I can beat the the final boss in TLS, the final phase of that fight is so hard.

Gretski

Gretski said:

I have a feeling I'll be playing some ambassador vc. I'm positive I'll be playing some online kid icarus! Eat my Pandora Claws!

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

A boy and his blob and tales of the abyss(3ds). I'm almost finishing both, but i'm having more fun with the first one.:)

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters DS
Mario Kart 7 (Maybe)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (Maybe)
Possibly plenty of casual VC breaks.

mattv76

mattv76 said:

I'm in the middle of A Boy and His Blob, a great puzzle platformer, and the graphics are some of the best on the Wii!

argus

argus said:

I'm working on Radiant Historia. I'm almost 30 hours in, and it's awesome. Highly recommended.

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

@Slapshot I see, well up till now it's a really good game.The best one in my opinion is the Shmup game and the Super Mario Bros. clone. though wizman, the kung fu clone, and the tetris clone pack some good fun also. I bought my copy used, so all the games are unlocked in my copy.

Luigi_is_better

Luigi_is_better said:

Mostly Kid Icarus: Uprising for me. I can't get enough of it! A little Kirby's Block Ball too though. Good luck Phillip getting stars in MSF. I've got them all, even the last level, but they were sure hard! I can't wait for some extra levels in that!

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Probably Harvest Moon: Animal Parade and Pushmo for me again this weekend. I might mix in some Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime too, though; I've been meaning to replay it for a while.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

The demo on the 3DS intrigued me, so I picked up the Wii version of Rayman Origins for an awesome price ($19.99 new!) and am loving the game so far. Such an awesome, quirky platformer! Highly underrated.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

Its a long weekend here, so I have 3 days off and hopefully will be able to get some quality gaming time in.

I plan on playing SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS, Xenoblade and Broken Sword on the Wii.

SavageBlackWolf

SavageBlackWolf said:

Playing Red Dead Redemption ( Xbox online) and Simpsons Hit and Run on the Gamecube. I'll probably buy Dragons Dogma, too.

Rekiotsu

Rekiotsu said:

I am going to play Final Fantasy 8.
That's all, i don't have anything else in mind, but i like to play The Last Story and Kid icarus uprising if i had those games right now.

marc_max

marc_max said:

I'll try to unlock the last treasures that I feel able to get in Kid Icarus Uprising.
I'll finish Mole Mania too.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm gonna be finishing up Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES), getting back into Banjo-Kazooie (N64) since I never finished it back in the day & also getting back into Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS3) since I put that down to finish Mass Effect 3 (PS3).

@JuLeDoS I think you should get the Classic Controller Pro to play Xenoblade, simply because (imho) Xenoblade is the single greatest game of all time & hence is better than Mario Tennis Open, though I have not got MTO or even have a 3DS :P Having that right analogue stick on the classic controller to move the camera was amazingly awesome & fluid. But that's me :P

Glad to hear NL is gonna continue this every 2 weeks after E3, it's an awesome article/idea & brings everyone out of the woodwork to contribute (like myself). Nice work NL! :)

Fabian

Fabian said:

Donkey Kong Country 2
Resident Evil the Mercenairies
and Maru´s Mission (it´s so cool)

RVN

RVN said:

"It's that time again, the weekend is upon us."
so motivational to hear
APB reloaded (play with a friend and i'm always chasing him down :P)
Super MNC
DOTA 2
Team Fortress 2
Magicka
... why am i here? :(

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@MikeDanger1 Ah, so you didn't have to spend hours fighting through the Japanese text based game. Lucky you! That was the only bad part of the game that was a drag, but everything else has been a blast, and worth the high cost of importing. :)

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising (Finally getting it today!)
Mario Tennis Open (Comes out Sunday for me, I think)

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

@Slapshot The funny thing is i'm a fan of those detective novel games and I liked Guadia Quest. But the japanese makes them almost unplayable. But yeah like you said apart from that this is a worthy buy and has to be one of the best imports from japan on the DS.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I'm playing Professor Layton & the Unwound Future (bought it yesterday) and maybe Crush3d if my son will let me have my 3ds back

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

You are truly a god!

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

This is a HUGE weekend for me. Today i've just been playing pokemon and stuffs but tommorow i go birthday shopping. I'm getting Mario Tennis, and probably gonna get and eShop game and some GC and DS games :D

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Kid Icarus Uprising and Batman Arkham City. Probably some Civ 5 too.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I'll be playing through the special stages in Super Mario 3D Land while squeezing in a few sessions of Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. Finally,if I'm lucky, I'll play a few online matches of Goldeneye 007 for the Wii.

Squirtodile

Squirtodile said:

@3DSonicPizza If you're in NA, yes, MTO comes out sunday. And it's great you're getting KI:U, trust me, you'll be playing it a lot if you like it half as much as i do.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@MikeDanger1 Yep. Agreed. I've enjoyed it as much as the original. I wish they'd have acquired the funding to translate it, but the sales never reached their goal. :(

Ste

Ste said:

Primarily playing Skyward Sword, I can't get the 10 right bugs fast enough to get the special bug back for beedie, anyone know any tricks, had an easier time getting the hyrulian shield

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Ended up playing Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus. I can never predict how much time I'll have for games (and therefore what games will be played) before the weekend begins.

ramstrong

ramstrong said:

I was playing Kid Icarus on-line this Saturday, May 19. Did pretty well there, too. I managed to assemble Daybreak. It turns out I can just get all 3 pieces by myself. Take that, Pit! :)

p_pap105

p_pap105 said:

Probably some F1, maybe a bit of Mariokart7, and I'm still waiting for Mario Tennis Open to come out...

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

well i learned that monday is a holiday so i will play even more black ops (i thought the holiday was next week)

DaBlobKips

DaBlobKips said:

I'm coming back to Team Fortress 2, maybe a little WoW, some DC Universe Online, and a tad bit of Super MNC, Sprinkled on top with Mass Effect 3.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I've been hitting up Super Mario RPG (SNES). My cart has a brand new CR2032 battery in it, so no worries over randomly deleted saves.