Shin Megami Tensei 4 is 3DS-Bound

Posted by James Newton

It never ends

Good news for fans of demons: Atlus is bringing Shin Megami Tensei 4 to 3DS.

Famitsu (via Andriasang) brings the good news that work is underway on the game, though there's no other details at the moment. But hey, SMT4 is coming to 3DS. We'll take that.

Last year 3DS owners in North America got Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, which is due to reach Europe later this year. We'll keep our ears to the ground for more devil-related information.

[via andriasang.com]

mattatron

mattatron said:

one of my favorite series of rpgs. cant wait for persona arena, fighting and smt

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

This is a good fit, since the Game Boy Color games are starting to come out on the Japanese VC.

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

Yay, I loved Devil Survivor Overclocked, so I'll get this if it comes to America!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Heheh, I've been waiting for this announcement for a long time. Nocturne and Strange Journey are two of my favorite RPGs. Another Main series game will do me just fine.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@ueI They decided against it long ago, apparently. Strange Journey is one of only two side games in the Main series, now, because it doesn't take place in Tokyo like every other Main series game.

koops330

koops330 said:

So wait is this SMT Persona 4 or is it something different because I bought Persona 4 like 2 months ago and Im not willing to buy it again even though its an amazing game

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

It's the main series. Persona is a spin-off, and arguably isn't actually part of the series at all.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'll be getting Devil survivor Overclocked at some point but if this does come to Europe, I doubt I'll get it as the main series SMT games are normally first person (I don't like FPRPGs) and/or sacrilegious.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

@Netto-Kun

Yeah. They're basically our only real hope, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high though. I'll probably end up getting a USA 3DS if it doesn't come to europe especially since SMT: Devil summoner Soul Hackers is getting a 3DS port/remake as well and that I'd say that has even lower chances of ever coming to Europe.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I should be more specific. I guess...I'm not really that well educated about this series. Yes, I live in Japan, went to Uni here, partially grew up here, but I don't watch anime and I don't know too much about manga or most video games. I just have certain ones I like.

So the games that have started to come on the Japanese 3DS VC are the Megami Tensei Gaiden games. This is a spin-off series to the normal Megami Tensei games. Of course, it seems most westerners know SHIN Megami Tensei, the 新(Shin) part meaning "new", as opposed to the former series.

So yeah, that's what is coming on our VC starting recently. Not sure if this is similar to the new game at all.

LittleFuryThing

LittleFuryThing said:

Ghostlight...I'm looking in your general direction and hoping that you are planning on releasing this in EU at some point. ;)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Tsuchinoko No, the main series is a bit different from the Last Bible games. If you have a Japanese Wii or a GBA, you might want to pick up Shin Megami Tensei I and II on VC (or the compilation on GBA). While they're dated, the newer games tend to be like them, only with better stories and a lot of the annoying crap cut out. By Strange Journey at least, probably Nocturne, too, the dungeons also get more creative and interesting. Nocturne is also in third person, so movements a little different. We're not exactly sure yet, but this one may be in First Person, and perhaps even a return to form, setting-wise.