Mario Tennis Open Just Misses UK Top Ten

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Top of the 3DS chart, though

Mario Tennis Open has arrived in time for the summer season of tennis grand slams and typical summer delights such as strawberries and cream and, of course, sunburn. With some interesting 3DS titles on the way in the next couple of months that could be described as 'core' games, to put it crudely, Mario's tennis outing is a title designed to try and satisfy gamers of various tastes and skill levels, and it's made a decent start in the UK.

In terms of the all-format chart it's come in at number 11, the highest placed title exclusive to Nintendo systems. Wii and 3DS Olympians are still going strong with Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games doing well in 13th, while two notable 3DS performers still keeping up the pace are Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 in 24th and 25th, respectively.

The 3DS (full price) top ten, meanwhile, shows that some titles can certainly claim to be 'evergreen', while other recent high quality releases are nowhere to be seen: details are in the links below.

Overall, it's a mixed bag of results in the all-format charts — not many Nintendo-exclusives in the top 40 — while the 3DS top ten has some surprises with a few launch titles still attracting sales.

[via ukie.info, chart-track.co.uk]

Savino

Savino said:

NOt surprise.... this game is kinda lame, terrible mp (more lag than balls) and no communities....

BenAV

BenAV said:

@Savino The lag's probably either from your Internet connection or the connection of who you're playing against (probably yours if it's constantly there).
I've been playing it heaps online and it usually works perfectly, besides from the occasional opponent who makes it lag.

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

I saw some TV ads for this game and Mario Party 9 this weekend... it was a bit silly to make people chose between two Mario games at the same time. Oc I don't live in Uk, but it must been happening the same thing there...

Hokori

Hokori said:

Let's wait and see the chart that really means something... Japan, my guess it'll be in 5th place for Japan

akabenjy

akabenjy said:

@BenAV
Hey I live in Australia and whenever I play online it's only Gyro spammers and I hate using the Gyro controls. If you want to play an Exhibition match sometime I can give you my FC.

I wish they had allowed world-wide online, like MK7, instead of region based. But it's actually one of the best Mario Tennis games, besides Power Tour on the GBA.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

You can't expect games on a system which has only sold 1 million units to compete in sales with PS360 games, and nobody cares about the Wii anymore, so the chart can't really be that disappointing...

SuperMario85

SuperMario85 said:

I hope there are big titles announced for the 3DS at E3. Games with good graphics and excellent online mp. I'll get Mario Tennis once the price goes down.

BudrSbastig

BudrSbastig said:

@megadeth Its very rare for a nintendo published game to drop in price, so your better off getting it now while there are plenty of people to play online.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@C-Olimar While that's fair, I think it's disappointing that it just missed out on the top 10. There's been quite a big marketing push for Mario Tennis here in the UK, so the result is decent but not brilliant.

It'll be interesting to see how it fares in the coming weeks. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 have all been in the UK top 40 for weeks on end now, so we'll see whether Mario Tennis Open is able to do the same.

HaNks

HaNks said:

the game is damn fun, easily one of the better 3ds titles. well worth it if you enjoyed previous mario sports titles.

Jamix012

Jamix012 said:

@LordOtaku
Lol 5th place in Japan? That's extremely conservative and it'd be a huge bomb if it only made 5th. It will be No. 2 unless Dragon's Dogma underperforms in which case it'll be No. 1.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@Thomas Yeah, I have seen load of adverts for this. Including that weird one with the people at the picnic... anyway, hopefully this will stay in the charts for as long as the games you mentioned.