Japanese 3DS Television Service To Be Cancelled

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Itsu no Ma ni Terebi no more

Since June last year 3DS owners in Japan have had access to Itsu no Ma ni Terebi, a video service that has produced regular and exclusive content via SpotPass. Like the former Wii service Wii no Ma, Nintendo has decided to take the service off the air.

In the past year the channel has offered content from Fuji Television and Nippon Television, such as animal footage, magic classes and a show called Idoling Sumo 3DS, which involved a famous girl-band taking on a variety of challenges. Nintendo has said that over one million people have accessed the service since it launched, but it will close on 20th June, just short of one full year on the platform.

Do any of you own a Japanese 3DS, and will you miss Itsu no Ma ni Terebi?

[via andriasang.com]

Not-Another-Ad

Not-Another-Ad said:

Nintendo just give us the ability to watch blooming Youtube on the 3DS already.
Then you won't have to waste money of these video services.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Japanese resident here. I have a TV, so I never used the 3DS for videos. I think that is the same with many people here.

The service is supposed to be good for watching videos while on commutes to work, school, and the like, but since most people in Japan use their phones for such purposes, and did way before the Itsu no ma ni ka service, this service is not really useful and must be a waste of money for Nintendo.

I don't even have a smartphone and I can watch videos on my small little cell phone just fine. The mobiles here are quite powerful.

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

Right. Ok. Don't hit me but the 3DS is handheld gaming console. It's not a TV!
We have Youtube. It's called Youtube. Yes, it'd be Youtube on the move but I'd sooner enjoy Youtube on my laptop than butchered to fit a small screen.

Youtube!

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

@3Dangerous3Dash
It's my opinion is all :)
Could 3DS even handle Youtube? Remember DSiTube? That was insanely basic but still ran like a relic.

You can't beat the tech in which something was originally designed for. I'd take a book aver a Kindle anyday.

mamp

mamp said:

that content sounded alright but it didn't seem like it would be something to be missed.

XxGame_LoverXx

XxGame_LoverXx said:

Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and angry bird.........jump to it Nintendo......this isnt the 90's anymore!!

Hokori

Hokori said:

@16 sadly, I wish it was the 90s because the great games came out and Nintendo had good compatition

Gameday

Gameday said:

Looks like everything is getting cancelled these days for nintendo , nintendo week now this whats next ?

Henmii

Henmii said:

That's pretty soon, isn't it? Is the 3DS already dying?! I hope not!!

MofieWilson

MofieWilson said:

well in the UK we have Nintendo video, and these short vids keep getting sent to us, many of which include ridiculous boy band One Direction doing various activities - we get other vids too but it just made me laugh as it sounds similiar to what they have had in Japan.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

Don't you guys get it, Nintendo will never have Youtube, they only annex services that they can control the content of, make sure it is family acceptable. Also they pay for nothing. If someone is on the 3ds, Netflix, Hulu, you can be certain N is getting paid for it, not the other way around. lol please... Pft.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@MofieWilson Actually we have Nintendo Video too. This service is different from Nintendo video, because its Television related videos, whereas Nintendo Video is more video clips from games (trailers), interviews with game creators, music videos and the like. We had two video services. I sometimes use Nintendo Video, but I never used this Itsu no Ma ni Terebi.

Seancy

Seancy said:

I'm still waiting for Europe to get a Netflix app on the eShop. It's on the Wii, so why not 3DS?

Audacity

Audacity said:

Youtube has a lot of 3D content that I'd like to be able to watch on the 3DS. Other than that, you need glasses to watch them.

A youtube app for 3DS is something that needs to happen.

modz

modz said:

they should put youtube on the 3ds so when we make an system update it will attermatecly come