Injustice Is a DC Comics Fighting Game for Wii U

Posted by James Newton

From the creator of Mortal Kombat

Warner Bros. has just announced Injustice: Gods Among Us, a new fighting game for Wii U featuring characters from the DC Comics universe.

Superman, The Flash, Batman and more will all appear in the new game from NetherRealm Studios, the team behind the rather excellent Mortal Kombat on PS3 and other formats.

Of course Warner Bros. also promised Batman Arkham City for Wii U at last year's E3, and with Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth heading to Wii U too it looks like we won't have any shortage of superheroes to choose from.

Injustice is on the way to Wii U next year.

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES Injustice: Gods Among Us

New Fighting Game Franchise from the Makers of Award-Winning Mortal Kombat Franchise Revealed

BURBANK, Calif. – May 31, 2012 – What if our greatest heroes became our greatest threat? Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Injustice: Gods Among Us, an all-new game in development by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, creators of the definitive fighting game franchise Mortal Kombat. The game is scheduled for release in 2013 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Wii U™ system from Nintendo.

Injustice: Gods Among Us debuts as a bold new fighting game franchise that introduces a deep, original story featuring a large cast of favorite DC Comics icons such as Batman, Harley Quinn, Solomon Grundy, Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman and many others. Set in a world where the lines between good and evil are blurred, players will experience heroes and villains engaging in epic battles on a massive scale.

“With Injustice: Gods Among Us, we are creating an all-new franchise with incredible battles set in the DC Comics Universe,” said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “NetherRealm Studios is the extremely talented team behind the latest Mortal Kombat hit and it is developing a game unlike any other in the fighting genre.”

“We can’t wait to reveal Injustice: Gods Among Us because it will give our fans and gamers an epic experience as they battle like gods as their favorite DC Comics villains and heroes,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “Our team is excited to make a fighting game that is filled with fast-paced action, incredible story-telling and iconic DC Comics characters.”

For more information, visit www.injustice.com.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Better have Saint Walker and Mirror Master.

Also maybe someone from watchmen to troll Alan moore.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Another game that I have no interest in until I see more.
Might end up being cool and I might get it, but at this stage I have no idea.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

definitly getting this game day one, no doubt about it, i mean look at my avatar n all :P lol

Kinioka

Kinioka said:

Wii U controller doesn't look like it will be the perfect piece for fighters. Not interested.

Obvious78

Obvious78 said:

Concept sounds cool....But I hope it wont be a Mortal Kombat style concept. I want to explorer environments in games. Especially with those super heroes against us!

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@Obvious78

Its a fighting game not sure a lot of exploring.

Surprised they're going with the God angle as the DCnu has really gotten rid of that to a degree.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

@7 Kinioka. Why not? There are a plenty options to play in Wii U. The wiimote, the nunchuk, the classic controller, and the tablet (it is like a classic controller with screen). So there are not complains.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Mickeymac The same thing struck me, too.
@Sony_70 I always though it was a stupid angle. It doesn't really fit only Supes, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, & to some degree Batman, too., anyway.

Eh, I'm more of a DC guy, than Marvel, but I don't think I'll be interested in this. By the sounds of this, & the title, it sounds like an attempt to be a "dark, & edgy" MK clone, using DC characters. I'll have to see more, but for now, I'll pass on this, more than likely.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Mje, I'm not a fan of super heroes or fighting games. So this will most probably be a skip.

Bane

Bane said:

Sounds interesting but does it look interesting, that is the question.

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

The trailer reminds me of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. It also had the camera looking around while the action was frozen. It doesn't really look like my kind of game, but I admit it was rather entertaining to see Superman uppercut The Flash into space and slam him back down <.<

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Hmmm if its anything play style wise like MK VS DCU than I just might have to pick this one up.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

I like the idea, but I HATE the looks of the characters. I'm a fan of the traditional look, and this new style does nothing for me. BTW, I can't see the trailer, I'm talking about what I see in the game's official website.

Wamtu

Wamtu said:

@Capt_N: Yes, agreed about the "dark and edgy" thing being dumb. These are the DC heroes for crying out loud. No one likes DC tarnishing these characters, making them fight each other and being only "sort of heroes" or something dumb like that. Look at Marvel's movie series. They know why people like superheroes. It's because they are heroes, not jerks with superpowers.

DC's characters just cannot be dark and gritty, at least not to the extent they try to play them. Superman is the hero who always wants to use his powers to do the right thing, and that's why people like him. They don't want him as an angsty demigod who struggles to keep himself in check. Even Batman, IMO, while he should be considerably darker than most other DC heroes, should still be a beacon of order and hope in a city otherwise gone to blazes.

DC needs to get their act together, because Marvel is leaving them in the dust (and I'm getting kind of sick of Batmania).

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Meh, not my kind of fighter. I'll take a Guilty Gear/BlazBlue or other fast-paced sprite-based fighter. Good to see content like this finally coming to a Nintendo console after 6 years though.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

"the team behind...Mortal Kombat"

This probably means it will be excessively violent with a lousy core fighting system. No thanks.

Since when can Batman punch a guy through a building, even with help from his tech?

mamp

mamp said:

The character movements seem pretty stiff not as bad as MK VS DC but still a noticeable kind of stiffness to their movements which I don't like.

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

The fact that it's being made by NetherRealm Studios has me interested. I really liked Mortal Kombat (2011), although I'm a little curious about how this game will play. Judging from the trailer, this won't be your typical fighter. As for the story, let's just hope it will be better than the MK vs DC Universe story.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980 said:

@Dreadjaws The looks is from the New 52. That's the default look now. But I'm sure there will be classic costumes as well.

@Wamtu The idea behind the game is what the trailer says: "What if our greatest heroes is our greatest threat?" So this is sort of an alternate reality in the DC Universe. They're not trying to give DC a new default direction here.