Check Out These Kirby Drawings from Nintendo's Bosses

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Such care-free times

It's easy to underestimate how long some of the current Nintendo senior figures have been working at the company: some of them have been there since the very beginning of NES, for example. Andriasang has unearthed a picture from a 1993 Nintendo Strategy book to make us, and the Nintendo legends in question, feel a bit old.

The image in this article is from the guide book for Kirby's Adventure, with Shigeru Miyamoto, Satoru Iwata and Masahiro Sakurai all being presented along with their own doodles of the famous pink ball. Miyamoto was already well known due to his work on the Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda franchises, while Sakurai is the youngest man in the team who created the Kirby concept. Future boss Iwata was the producer and did some programming work, while he's also credited with producing a golf title single handed.

It's interesting to see these prominent figures in their younger days, and we've also learned that Satoru Iwata's drawing skills aren't necessarily his strong point.

[via andriasang.com]

Dodger

Dodger said:

Glad I have something in common with Iwata. That tends to be what my Kirby drawings look like. :P

I can even do some OK stuff with computers. That just isn't my strongpoint. (drawing in general, not drawing Kirby)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

The only one I could instantly recognise was Iwata but after taking a close look I could see similarities between Miyamoto back then and how he is now. Sakurai looks the most different though and I also share my drawing skills with Iwata. :P

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

It's interesting to see what these men look like back then when I was just a baby. Iwata and Miyamoto haven't changed too much except for the latter's wrinkles these days, but Sakurai had such different hair! I can understand Iwata's drawing skills as I'm not much better.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

@3Dangerous3Dash I wouldn't use that as a good photo of how Sakurai looks. I couldn't even recognize him. This is 19 years old, and ironically Sakurai looks younger now.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Sakurai = Under appreciated genius and only Nintendo dev (or should I say, ex-Nintendo dev) that develops games with a bit of bite, 'tude, and/or extra layer of fun.

Nintenbro

Nintenbro said:

@mushroomer, did anybody ask you for your opinion? I think not. Furthermore, nobody is twisting your arm to read these articles. Go troll on another gaming forum my friend. That kind of crap is seriously not needed around here. Instead of being appreciative that someone took out time from their day to write up this article, you complain like an ungrateful little brat. I outta bend you over my knee, and teach you some manners. :)

Anyways, I had no idea Kirby's Adventure wasn't released, until two years after the SNES was already on the scene. I guess that's why it's so long for an NES title. I mean, who would choose to pay $50 for an NES title, when you could purchase a SNES title for the same amount. Kirby's Adventure is one of the best NES titles I had never had the honor of experiencing, back when I actually owned an NES. On the other hand, there are hundreds upon hundreds of NES titles I never had a chance to experience.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Nice piece of history. Indeed Sakurai looks younger now, at least he looks nothing like that pic.