Project X Zone Screens Burst Out

Posted by James Newton

More next week

The first scans of Namco Bandai, Capcom and SEGA collaboration Project X Zone (pronounced "Project Cross Zone") emerged yesterday, but now we have crisp, clear stills of the game in action.

The shots show the strategy RPG's combat team-ups: Mega Man and Zero, Ryu and Ken, Demitri and Dante, Akira and Pai and more are all in action. What's equally interesting is the choice of opponent: Akira and Pai take on Virtua Fighter boss character Dural on a very VF-style stage, while Ken and Ryu throw double hadoukens at Resident Evil's Tyrant. Other screenshots are awash with characters: Harrier (from Space Harrier, of course), Fantasy Zone's Opa Opa, Ulala and a Morolian all pop up in other stills.

The official site proclaims a "grand open" on 17th April, so expect much more then.

[via famitsu.com]

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

I dont like the anime art style for Dante. He looks like hes from Yu-Gi-Oh. I hate that show.

Chobi

Chobi said:

I gotta level with you James. I'm a bit disappointed with the 2D look of the game. I was hoping the game would have been 3D. Seeing as how Capcom,Sega and Namco Bandai could have easily pulled that off. Seem like lazy devs but maybe the game-play can make up for the look of the game.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

This looks... interesting... I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Is it a simple bash everyone and continue or is there a story to it?

Count me intrigued.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

JayArr, look again. Its looking more like a sequel to Namco X Capcom than The World Ends With You. This looks a lot better than The World Ends With You anyway.

And given how many characters there are likely to be, its quicker to use 2D sprites than create each character in 3D. Thats not laziness. You just wouldn't get characters details looking that crisp using polygons. The backgrounds are still in 3D.

Looks like the characters become cel-shaded for close-ups.

James

James said:

@Demonic Not sure yet, expecting more details soon.

@grumblebuzz It's a tactical RPG — this just shows the combat. I expect we'll see overworlds/stats/equipment etc. in the near future.

Also, I think the spritework looks awesome — can't wait to see the animation. High on my list for 2012, this one.

BlackShyGuy

BlackShyGuy said:

I kinds looks Fire Emblem-y IMO. I just hope that the fighting isnt turn-based... God I cant stand those kind of games. Except Pokemon haha.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

grumblebuzzzz was probably tricked by the combo counter in the screens. While the combat may feature action-y gameplay (assuming it really is a spiritual sequel to Namco X Capcom), it's still no fighting game. Anyways, yes, I'm excited for this. I just hope it makes it over here somehow. It's not like we have any other SRPG besides Fire Emblem on the way.

Jarod

Jarod said:

horrible? I dont understand im gonna have to stop looking at the comments for this game it looks ridiculously cool I cant deal with people somehow thinking otherwise

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

So, looks like a sequel to "Namco X Capcom" i guess. Lets hope for a worldwide release this time....

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I like how the only screen of the Tales of characters is a shot of Yuri Lowell's face. Cuz that's all they need to show. ;)

@shonenjump86 Half the cast is already full of unknowns.:P I don't think they can get much more obscure, but I guess we'll see.

X-145

X-145 said:

2D look on a 3DS, bad drawings at that, and it's fighting. The game looks like it sucks already. I am severely dissapointed, but not surprised in the very least. Let's see what more comes out in the following weeks...

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

@Aviator I love how you post that all the time. People are allowed to make their own assumptions and form their own opinions about what they think of the screen shots. All the comments so far are talking about the look of the game from the screenshots, not the actual game. Whats wrong with that?

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Aviator: Considering these screenshots were given to Famitsu by the devs for publication, surely they wouldn't have done so were they not comfortable with them in some way or another. Unless the images were leaked against the devs' will (e.g. they weren't ready for them to be seen by the public at all), they're fair game for judgment by fans IMO.

RR529

RR529 said:

It looks interesting, that's for sure. I'll keep my eye on it.

At all of you saying it looks exactly like a fighter, I never knew fighters showed HP numbers getting deducted when a character is hit. Also never knew that fighters only showed the life bar of one character, instead of both.

Millenia

Millenia said:

This is an SRPG? I don't see exactly how judging by those screenshots... Either way I'm intrigued to learn about its battle system. I'm very excited about Ulala's appearance!

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

@X-145 Mutant Mudds was 2D and it was on the 3DS, and from what I heard it was pretty good.

Glad to see that they chose 2D graphics over 3D graphics. Besides is it really that important to have 3D graphics in a strategy RPG?

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I'm seriously depressed by the amount of people on here who hate sprites? What the heck guys? Just cause its on the 3DS, doesn't mean it has to have 3D graphics! And yes. Its a STRATEGY RPG, guys.

Chobi

Chobi said:

@Retro_on_theGo

It's not that, i don't like sprites. It's just not acceptable by today's standards to use sprites for a full retail title. Especially since these three companies have the financial backing to do something truly great.

Rosalina

Rosalina said:

Their sprites are like the GBA sprites. I'm used to that. Not really a problem at all for me.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i have no problem whatsoever with the sprites and the graphical style of this game. does every 3DS game have to have 3D graphics? no, not at all.

i like the look of the characters and can't wait to see more of the screenshots. at the end of the day, it's the gameplay that matters.

Chuie

Chuie said:

i good one for namco be llyod zelos luke guy yuri flynn cless chester reid ferra

TNLGUY

TNLGUY said:

Modern technology can make sprites more beautifully drawn and fluidly animated than ever before... and people DON'T want 'em? This brings me much sadness.