Nicalis Announces 1001 Spikes for Wii U and 3DS eShop

Posted by James Newton

Due this year

Nicalis is still putting the finishing touches to its WiiWare translation of La-Mulana, but it's already announced its next project, 1,001 Spikes for digital release on Wii U and 3DS.

Like La-Mulana and Cave Story, 1,001 Spikes is a retro-styled platformer that started life elsewhere, in this case as Xbox Live Indie game Aban Hawkins & The 1000 Spikes. It's got a Spelunky/Rick Dangerous sort of vibe to it, and Nicalis will do its thing and bring it to Nintendo formats with new art, graphics and sound, plus a four-player local multiplayer mode.

[via revogamers.net]

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Coming 2015 in america complete with a gamebreaking glitch.

Coming to Europe at the point where the Sun burns out all of it's hydrogen (If it doesn't get delayed)

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

I hope those touches get finished sooner rather than later. >.< Still, it's nice to see more XBL Indie releases getting promoted to "full" release, like Dust: An Elysian Tail did.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

James- any idea yet if the there will be download play with the local multiplayer or if everyone will need to own a copy of the game?

@ #4: As for Nightsky, my guess is that Nifflas wants to move on to other things. There are still issues getting the game to run in proper fullscreen because it was coded in Multimedia Fusion 2, so the resolution is locked. There was talk of recoding it in C++, but nothing has been released. Still a great game, but I wish I could get it to look crisper on my TV. I also wish it had controller support... lazy.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

Also, a touchscreen level editor (for both WiiU and 3DS) and cross-platform community level sharing is a must for the game, don't ya think?

BenAV

BenAV said:

Cool.
No idea if I'll want it or not, but the more games that make it to the 3DS and Wii U eShops (as long as they're good), the better.

odd69

odd69 said:

Nicalis should hurry with La-mulana.Ive been waiting for this for so long..

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

"Nicalis says the game will come to the 3DS eShop first, but it's hoping to have the Wii U version ready in time for the system's launch later this year."

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Tryken

Tryken said:

When is Nicalis going to finally publish another one of Pixel's games?

MAB

MAB said:

Later this year translates to later next year on the Nicalis calendar. Props to you James for reminding me of good old Rick Dangerous from my mullet headed Amiga 500 era :) somebody give this guy a copy of La Mulana or Retro City Rampage on the house.

Rococoman

Rococoman said:

"Linkstrikesback said: Coming 2015 in america complete with a gamebreaking glitch."

I love it. Seriously, I think it took all of Nicalis longer to remake Cave Story for Wii than it took Pixel to make the original game by himself, in his spare time.

Zantagor

Zantagor said:

Finishing touches to La-Mulana? what finishing touches? Last time Nigoro posted anything, the game was complete, done, and ready. And they were starting on a PC version. So what finishing touches???

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Checked the first few levels on YouTube. Looks like my kind of game. Already looking forward to it.

SandMan

SandMan said:

La-Mulana had a release date of winter 2009 and it's still not out, so I'm thinking that the estimate of 2015 above might not be too far off the actual release date (maybe add an additional year).

RR529

RR529 said:

They were the ones who published VVVVVV on 3DS, right? Good to see they're still looking into indie games to bring to 3DS (although I wish they'd release Night Sky first).

TheKingOfTown

TheKingOfTown said:

I love Nicalis. Their continued support of Nintendo for this is amazing. Most developers get frustrated with Ninty, but Nicalis doesn't seem to care.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Uuugghh, I don't like this game much. It's not bad, but too much of it is pattern memorization. Pattern memorization should only be for boss fights. Meh, if it's different enough I'll consider it.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Please release NightSky first. I've been anxiously awaiting its release on a Nintendo console since 2009. I may be only one of the 5 people who want the game on 3DS, but they can't confirm it's being released on the eShop and then cancel it AGAIN.

...Can they?

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

@Radixxs - I too have been patiently waiting for Nightsky since it was first announced for WiiWare. I know I could simply download the PC version but I really would prefer to experience it on a Nintendo platform with a D Pad and buttons. Hopefully it comes to 3DSWare soon.