Japanese Virtual Console List: April 2012

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Slowing down

It's a bit of a slow month this time for Japan, as only two new games will be released. Neither are big surprises: Europe already got one a while ago and the other has already been announced for European release. Both of them are pretty nice games though, so although the offerings are slim compared to normal, at least they're of good quality.

The games Japan will get this month are:

Super Famicom

• Prince of Persia — Arguably the best version of the original American platformer, strangely created by the company behind the Cho Aniki series. We liked it quite a bit, as our Prince of Persia review will tell you.

Neo Geo

• Metal Slug 3 — Skipping Metal Slug X, this one doesn't really introduce anything special, but is still often cited as one of the best games in the series.

As we reported a few days back, the next 3DS Virtual Console game Japan will be getting is the Game Boy Color version of Wario Land II, which will hopefully also make its appearance elsewhere soon.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

There is also "a third release" - the formerly Irem-published Spelunker (Famicom), which was pulled off the service Friday and returns today with Tozai Games as the new publisher. ;)

@Bass_XO: Since Metal Slug 3 will be the 60th(!) Neo-Geo title on the service, it's probably the last one for a while. Japan better prepares for a drought if no other console returns to VC from next month on! :O

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I disagree about Metal Slug 3 not offering anything special. Its the first game to add multiple branching paths and really turns the zany wackiness up a notch compared to MS 1 and 2.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Prince of Persia, what an awesome game (and developed by the same company behind Cybernator, too) :)

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Metal Slug 3 introduced many cool new things like underwater action, horizontal and vertical shooter stages, and the best final stage in the series (won't spoil). My fav in the series. Because it has the most action and destruction.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Wow, Metal Slug 3? I honestly didn't see that coming. If they do Metal Slug X, that would be extra nice. I can live without the subsequent ones as they just aren't as good.

I didn't pick up Prince of Persia because I like the Japanese Wii to be my VC console, so that'll be nice to have as well.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

I love both games, but I'd rather have them on the 3DS. I suppose it's going to take a long time for SNES games to show up on the 3DS, though.