Fire Emblem: Awakening Pops The Question

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Will you marry me, Wyvern Rider?

The release of Fire Emblem: Awakening is getting ever closer in Japan, with European gamers awaiting further clarification on the 'summer 2012' window and North American compatriots eagerly hoping for any news. Now that it's almost arrived in Nintendo's homeland the title has been the subject of an Iwata Asks column, which has teased out some details.

As reported by Andriasang, the column focused on the character to character interactions and relationship development, and how these factors can influence Dual and Double systems in battle. Nintendo has also released a new trailer that shows these mechanics in action, as well as a glimpse of the marriage feature. With married couples able have children that grow up as allies in battle, it seems that getting out some candles and loving up your units could be an important tactic.

[via andriasang.com]

James

James said:

I thought that said Winona Ryder at first. I'd rather marry the dragon, I think.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@SomeBitTripFan
The manakete is named Nono. We'll also be getting Chiki back in this game! I wonder if she will be able to figure out whether or not the "Marth" in this game is the real deal. I doubt she would ever forget her "Mar Mar".

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

Wait, now we'll have even greater attachment to the characters! I'd always keep the couple in the background, out of harm's way, only to defend themselves in times of danger. Can't take the risk!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@japongt That's actually a good question, and I mean that sincerely. I'll keep an eye out for details confirming either way.

mamp

mamp said:

@japongt has it ever been an option before (IDK I've only played the sacred stones) if not I doubt they'll do it this time around.
Also am I the only one who has noticed they have no feet, I don't know why but it's creeping me out in a funny way.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

If Awakening lets you pair up same sex couples, they won't be able have children that grow up as allies in battle. That could pose a problem in the later levels of the game.

Doma

Doma said:

Too much pointless voice acting... it will likely take forever for this to be released elsewhere due to that alone. Hope there's an option to mute it, cause we all know the English VA will be terrible.

Squid

Squid said:

So would this have any connection to that mother-in-law game Miyamoto was talking about? :O

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Gamesake, Qwikman: i don't see why they couldn't have adoption as an option to explain a possible way for same-sex couples to have the children they'll need for purposes of the game (assuming they don't want to delve deeper into artificial insemination or surrogate pregnancies). it's not like there's not all kinds of orphans running around in the aftermath of battles...

Polaris

Polaris said:

Why is it so important/why are you worrying about LGB couples in this game? If I were to make a game, I wouldn't make my characters gay or bi just so that players could marry them or make them have a relationship. I doubt the game won't have lgb characters or relationships.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Polaris: Why do you care that other people are wondering whether or not same-sex couples will be an option? i'm just curious is all... if it doesn't float your boat, don't bother getting them together during your playthrough, but maybe some of us would like to have the option available.

Polaris

Polaris said:

What I meant to say is that I doubt the game will HAVE those types of relationships.
@theblackdragon
Why do I care? That question irritates me. Everyone has their own interests. That's like me asking why you care what I care about. It just seems odd for people to be requesting or wanting an option just because it's possible.
I mean like as soon as we talk about marriage people are asking about characters having homosexual relationships. Sort of odd how it got there so quickly is all. Like I just thought it was off when that was one of the first things to come to you guys's mind. I mean I did see a couple people mention uhh normal marriage (look up the definition) but what I'm trying to say is it's odd how when marriage was mentioned many people started thinking of homosexuality right off the bat. Not saying anything here? Just it's a very hot topic and it's funnny how quick it came up. Sorry for any typos, I'm using a phone and this is browser is really slow.